Weberiffic! My latest install.

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Weberiffic! My latest install.

Post by splatterdog »

Finished up last night on the 86. I love it when things start right up AND run good. Went a little different way on this one. I went with a holley regulator on the fender. My 84 has one of those dial regulators zip tied to the brake booster hose like I have seen others do. I blew the first one in 90 days. Luckily the 3/4 tank that got dumped out never ignited. Second one is still going but I think I will move it. The holley has a vent hole so that if it ruptures it will spray behind the gauge and run down the fender. Also less heat may prevent failure to begin with. Also you may notice my egr to pcv conversion. More hood clearance without that crumbly heater plate that impedes flow also. They look like a perfect piece for a vacuum leak too. The first pic also shows the marks to port match the adapter.

The car runs amazing now. I think the 84 is getting the same jetting which by the way is Mains-pri130,sec150 Air jet-pri170,sec180 Idle-50 on both. These were for 1000 ft elevation FYI. The jet kit instructions also has the secondary high speed tube get blocked off. Have to wait and see on mileage but I think it will be excellent. Cruises 65 mph with almost no pedal. WOT is just a little better than the out of the box jetted on my 84 but everything below that is way better.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by splatterdog on Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

Nice clean install!! Webers rock!
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Sweet!
Clever PCV to EGR mount!
Can you ditch the vapor canister for more room/sanitary appearance?
What is that greenish plastic knob on top of the heater hose, between the valve and the firewall?
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Mickey_D
Top Notch Member

Post by Mickey_D »

ARCHINSTL wrote: What is that greenish plastic knob on top of the heater hose, between the valve and the firewall?
Tom M.

That would be the connection for the Prestone cooling system flush kit that was installed by the owner before me. I never had a use for it, so it hasn't been undone for several years.

Splatterdog, I wouldn't recommend opening it unless you have some replacement for it. There's a chance that it wouldn't seal back up upon trying to close it.

I looked at it as it ain't leaking, don't mess with it. ;)
1986 Tercel Wagon 4X4 SR5 (sold to splatterdog).

A bullet may have your name on it, but shrapnel is addressed, "To whom it may concern"!!
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Well I did mess with it when I flushed it and yes it does leak now. Only a drop once in a while. So slow i wouldn't have known if I hadn't actually seen a droplet fall while doing this job.

The bit of tree hugger in me has me thinking on hooking up the evap system. Low on the list though. Timing belt kit and cam/crank seals and a pre-emptive water pump are next on the list.

I was on the interstate today and cruised 70-73 mph and still needed just minimum gas pedal to do it. The bottom end on this new carb is excellent.

Mileage figures are going to wait until I get over my happy foot. :wink:
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

I really want one now.... Again.... Damn you money...

So you can reverse where the fuel feed is?

Cool.

I dunno how effective our EVAP's are anyway. Though, I am not a fan of the brown clouds either. Thus me wanting a new kitty rather than keeping it hollowed out.

I'm curious the emissions difference these make. Not like it matters for me. They abolished emissions here. Cat is still a federal requirement though....
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

No smoke anymore

Post by splatterdog »

I don't know if it's the carb or the pcv mod, but just like the 84, start up is smoke free now. Both had smoke that would indicate weak valve guides/seals(blue) before each received it's weber.
neonsport
Top Notch Member

Post by neonsport »

That really is a clean install. How did it end up affecting your gas mileage?
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

If you simply ditched the charcoal canister and vented the tank into the atmosphere, you would most likeley have a stinky gas smell around your car. Besides, charcoal canisters don't affect how the tercel will run or its performance.
Tercel 4WD "POWER WAGOON" with 4A-C
aka: "no powa steering tercel, oh oh oh!"
mods: ignition at 10 DBTDC and 90 octane gas.
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

I'm curious about the fuel regulator. I was going to do one, but I put the gauge on without the regulator and only got 2.5 to 3 psi. Did you ever check yours without the regulator?
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

I'm glad you asked. I can bottom the screw on the reg and still only get 3psi max. After everything gets warm it drops to 2.5. The only pressure spec I could find easily was from napaonline.com. They list 3.5-4.5 psi for their new pump.

My pump looks like it could still be O.E. so it may be getting weak but's still kickin and no breather hole spew. Never measured the 84. Got one of those chrome dial reg's in front of a napa pump and blindly trust it.

Also, previously I stated startup smoke was eliminated. Mostly true. It was almost totally eliminated on the 84 and greatly reduced on this one(was a yard fogger). Valve seals are on the list for both though.

Still want to get a couple of 7mm heat spacers too as both do have some hot soak/starting issues. Most likely due to the stock heater/spacer plate elimination.

I guess more than anything else the reg has provided peace of mind and the admiration of some people that don't have a fuel pressure gauge/chrome reg under their hood! haha. Even one "holy s***" from an autozone kid. He's obviously easy to impress.

Feel my wrath!(as soon as the snow flies....)
Eric555

Post by Eric555 »

I just joined up today! I just got a 1984 Tercel 4WD for free! I was told it needed a an igniter because it showed no spark.. Turns out the timing belt was snapped clean! Doesn't make for a very good spark when you're not turning the cam :oops:
So I'd like to put one of my 4 32/26 Webers on it. I have tons of jet's, and lot's of experience with the 32/36.
I was looking at your jetting kit specs for the Tercel @1000 feet, and couldn't understand what "they" meant when they said to block off the secondary tube??
It sounds like either blocking off the power circuit in the carb, or the secondary air jet. But you give specs for that air jet (180, I believe). So I'm dying to know just what circuit actually gets blocked?
Thank You Eric.
"A race machine is never truly perfected, it's just abandoned for the next.."
Eric555

Post by Eric555 »

Whoops. That question was for Splatterdog.. Sorry.
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

The jet kit from racetep.com had the secondary enrichment orifice(top hole in secondary bore) get blocked off. An old trick they said. They suggested jb welding the hole in the air horn at the gasket side of the passage. I ended up tapping a small set screw into the carb body instead to make it easier to remove.

The fatter secondary main jet is supposed to make up for it. It seems a little better than my "out of box" weber. The larger primary idle jet made the biggest improvement.
Eric555

Post by Eric555 »

Alrighty then.. This is the enrichment hole that begins fuel pick-up from another hole in the float bowl, then leads up to a 90 degree brass fitting in the air horn? Rather than the vacume supply to the "power jet" plunger in the carb, I'm assuming.
One thing I think seperates Weber racing carbs from their "street-able" carbs are these little enricment circuits you find on the non-race carbs. One of my 32/36's used an idle cut off solenoid, while some of the other 32/36's didn't. Weird. I even saw a 32/36 used as a standard factory carb in Europe once. Although I can't remember where or which or when. Even the HP Books Weber Carb Book seperates the Weber line into racing and street versions. And they claim the 32/36 being intended for engines from 1147c.c.'s to 2000c.c's.
Good running carb.
I've never liked the enrichment circuits built into them. So, thank you for the info! That will have an impact on the final jetting specs for sure. But than again, so will being at 7200feet in New Mexico.
Thanks again.. eric.