Changing & checking the trans-diff oil...

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Winter GEAR OIL REPORT:

This just in.......

...with temps down around and below ZEEEEE-ROW.....I'm not seeing any problems with the "40% 75W90 synth and 40% 85W140 regular gear oil with 20% Hyperlube Racing Formula additive" MIX I'm using. This stuff is thicker than just 1/2 of the lighter and heavier oils...cause the Hyperlube stuff is really thick.

Having no real trouble shifting cold...just seems thicker as you'd expect.

I've driven some manual shift cars in these temps where I really had trouble shifting in cold weather.

Still have the need to double clutch to get into first at times when cold...but had this with the ALL 75W90 gear oil.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Bump bump bump it up!
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

I like to stick with what the manufacturer recomends for gear oil, i'll use thicker engine oil in an engine to slow leaking/burning, but trannys rarely leak, and little if they do.

synthetic gear oil is nothing but trouble IMO, my buddy put it in his truck, made it shift hard and grind, i put it in my echo, same thing. it seems to lubricate a little too well, making it so that there is not enough friction for the syncros to work propely.

we put 85-140 in my freinds diff in his FIAT because the manual called for a super thick oil and holy crap that stuff was thick, poured like molasses.
the only reason i'm not going to use it is because the tercel shifts fine with 80W90, but for an abused tranny or something with alot of miles, its probably not a bad idea.
Tercel 4WD "POWER WAGOON" with 4A-C
aka: "no powa steering tercel, oh oh oh!"
mods: ignition at 10 DBTDC and 90 octane gas.
dcn
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 4WD SR5 Wagon

Post by dcn »

Do you guys have any tips for filling the fluids back up after draining them? I know it takes longer than it should but is there a container or some other method for pumping it back in that works well? We're doing mine today plus repplacing the forward section of the exhaust and putting new inner tie rods in. Anywhere we can save time would help. Sorry to ressurect this thread..
Metallic Blue '87 4WD SR5
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Thats why these threads are here...
I'd recommend a gear oil pump. Siphon systems take hours sometimes, but keep in mind hand pumps will tire you out, as gear lube is THICK.

My suggestion would be to run a good cleaner coupled with some el-cheapo Wal-Mart gear lube for 500 miles then put in Amsoil. I was doing that, minus the cleaner, and my 500 miles has turned into more like 5000 with the crappy stuff in there.
$$
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
dcn
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dcn »

We got it all done, pretty miserable job trying to fill those things up from below like that. Car shifts verrry nice now though, and it is tight in the front end as well.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I tried using a washer motor as a pump...works but is slow and the motor overheats.

New idea is to use one of those 12V air pumps and an old washer fluid gallon jug. Holds the 4 qts.

Carefully drill some very tight fitting holes in the lid for some vac or fuel line tubing.

Air line goes in and stops right under the cap...oil line out from the bottom of the jug that goes to the trans. Use silicone caulk to seal.

I'm also using the clip end from one of those manual pumps to hold the end of the hose in the trans.

Put the oil in...put the oil line in the trans...turn the pump on...watch the magic. Might want to watch the pressure though?
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

dcn
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dcn »

Good idea, should have posted sooner, we might have used that tip. Between the new gear oil, and tighter front it's like a new car. Like it a lot.
Soutthpaw
Top Notch Member

Post by Soutthpaw »

if you ever get a manual tranny in a vehicle that is hard to shift in cold weather, try changing to a full synthetic gear oil and you will probably notice a tremendous improvement... I have done this on several vehicles. Synthetic oils hold their viscosity at temperature extremes better than dinasour oils... It a cheap and easy fix for hard to shift trannys
1989 Toyota Van LE 4x4
1987 Toyota Parts Van 4x4
1981/2000 International S1724/4700 CrewCab T444e
1974 Wellcraft Airsolt (Boat)
ASE Master Auto Tech.
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

in my echo i'm running Redline MT-90, expensive, but well worth it!

full synthetic, and actually made my shifting better unlike the synthetics i had used before, acceleration improved too.