COLOR-CODED FEDERAL VACUUM DIAGRAMS : HOOD AND FSM (BOTH)

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

COLOR-CODED FEDERAL VACUUM DIAGRAMS : HOOD AND FSM (BOTH)

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Well, it was a quiet week in Lake Wobegon...
Anyway, I wanted to double-check the vac lines & gizmos while the carb was off, and found my earlier effort wasn't too hot. So I revised both it and Abused Jalopy's seminal color-coded diagram, and added the schematic to the latter.
All lines have been double-checked against one another (however,please let me know if there are any errors).

Also, all 3 diagrams use the same color for the same lines, ie, the EGR lines are in red for all three and so forth.

Enjoy !
Tom M.
P.S. This sizing came through fine on my itty-bitty screen; let me know if the images are too big or too small.
EDIT :
I noted takza's comment on the size of the first sheet: I did not post these two separately because I thought it would be handier on one sheet, and also did not want to have a post two feet long. Additionally, it would be awkward viewing as they would be turned 90 degrees.
HOWEVER - for those with mature eyes (or too impatient to do cropping and switching and enlarging on the 'puter), I have those two FSM diagrams available, as well as the hood sticker, to print separately on a standard 8 1/2x11 sheet. Just send me a PM with your e-address and I will be happy to send them as .jpg attachments.

> > > LEFT-CLICK TO REALLY ENLARGE < < <
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ARCHINSTL on Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

The top one might be a little small. Ironically or whatever...I'm considering attempting Typruses setup by bypassing the TVSV.

EGR out. Choke stuff out...have manual choke. Dist directly to the carb or manifold...whichever works best. Vac switch B...AAP...hot air door...to full manifold vac. Canister as usual. California 3AC has no HAC. The Cal 3AC has only 2 vac lines to the dist (no HAC)...might use only one.

This is the plan at least. Hope I have the sense to label everything...it may never run again.... :shock:
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

See EDIT of original post.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Here are 3 scanned vacuum diagram pics from the Bentley manual for the Tercel ...1983:

* might need to right click to see????

Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

badmechanic

Post by badmechanic »

OMG the second one is super close to mine, close enough for me to hook up
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: COLOR-CODED FEDERAL VACUUM DIAGRAMS : HOOD AND FSM (BOTH

Post by dlb »

i posted this on another thread but figure we may as well consolidate them. it's a large pic of the vac diagram from under the hood of a canadian '84 3AC setup.

aoeu
My tercel:: 1985 4WD Wagon SR5

Re: COLOR-CODED FEDERAL VACUUM DIAGRAMS : HOOD AND FSM (BOTH

Post by aoeu »

Here are the 3A-C, 3E, and 3E-E vacuum diagrams from Chilton.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Terceldad
My tercel:: 86 wagon 4x4

Re: COLOR-CODED FEDERAL VACUUM DIAGRAMS : HOOD AND FSM (BOTH)

Post by Terceldad »

With fear in my heart, I finally succumbed to the urge to remove all the stock vacuum crud from a stock 2bbl carb. Refusing to label any thing, I referred to these sage pages of advice and pushed on...
Using new tubing, I hooked the bottom vacuum advance at distributor to the engine vacuum line, any thing ported to the manifolds was plugged, any thing with a diaphragm was left open to atmosphere.
Gathering the spaghetti from the driveway, I threw it all in the trash ... then started the Mighty Terc.
A cloud of black smoke greeted me upon starting, and I had that "all too familiar feeling" (oh boy, how bad did I mess up THIS TIME?).
I gunned it, more smoke, I fell to my knees, praying to the forces of the universe, turned it off and had a beer, waiting for a cold engine with a cold one....

Runs and idles great!!! Thank you all, once, and again!
(and now... a water pump)..........
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Re: COLOR-CODED FEDERAL VACUUM DIAGRAMS : HOOD AND FSM (BOTH)

Post by irowiki »

I really hope you didn't throw away the check valves and jets!

You're going to want to hook at least the choke opener and the choke breaker back up or it isn't going to run very well in the long term. It'll run richer without the CO and EBCV to lean things out.

You'll also need both vacuum switches or your MPG will go into the hole.

Also the canister valves need hooked up still!

All in all, not a good idea unless you're switching to a weber. :lol: I had a tercel with a stock carb that had every vacuum system removed by a PO and the darn thing got 15-20 mpg.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k