rear hatch panel removal

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
raybbaby

rear hatch panel removal

Post by raybbaby »

Hey it's me! It's been a while but a few weeks ago my lock on my rear hatch ceased to recognize my key. I haven't a clue how to get at it, just spent about a half hour trying to get the plastic interior panel off and I decided to stop before I make a big mess or break the panel. I can't understand the little plastic plugs that appear to be phillips heads but just spin endlessly. Any direction would be much appreciated as I can no longer open the hatch. Thanks :cry:
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

I had a similar problem, although I was removing the Quasimodo on the lid to repaint it.
The little "bolts" screw into an expander-type fitting which expands into a hole in the lid.

The six or so little guys can be difficult; I removed them by gently inserting the blade of a utility knife directly under the head of the screw and prying upwards, again gently, whilst turning the head. This worked on all by two; one was removed by putting the blade under the escutcheon (term?) of the mount, again lifting gently whilst turning. And finally, I had to just use "brute force" to pop out another; however, it reinserted and looks OK, although it no longer works.

Note that there are still a number of "darts" integrated into the panel which can be removed from the steel lid by use of an appropriate putty knife; these will be evident when the little screws are removed. I would recommend putting a little silicone or similar on the darts for easier removal "if there is a next time."
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain