Letter regarding Headlights (long)

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
Iain
Top Notch Member

Post by Iain »

waynehoc wrote:A final thought - to get an approx 30% increase in headlight output without any headlight conversion, you can just go out and buy a pair of GE NightHawk bulbs or sealed beams, which will eventually burn out and have to be replaced. The wiring harness upgrade does the same or better, and doesn't 'burn out' ...
A very good way of putting it. I'd combine the two for the best of both worlds!

-1992 TCR10 Previa LE -Thanks Jetswim-
-1987 AL25 Tercel SR5 -Sold To Jetswim-
-2000 PL2000 Neon LE -Sold to spencersummerfield-
-1999 PL Neon SE -Stolen, recovered cut in half. R.I.P.-
-1987 AE86 Corolla GT-S Coupe - Sold (I want it back!)-
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

Mac wrote:my 80/100W lights are like regular H4's i bet there is a ton of resistance in my 20 year old wiring harness.
I noticed the same thing on an '83 GMC. I put E-code H4s on it and then upgraded to 80/100 bulbs. The bulbs made no difference until I installed relays. I'd get some relays in there before you melt some old, corroded connector hidden under the dash. :wink:
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

yeah, i'm going to take them out today probably.
Tercel 4WD "POWER WAGOON" with 4A-C
aka: "no powa steering tercel, oh oh oh!"
mods: ignition at 10 DBTDC and 90 octane gas.
waynehoc
Top Notch Member

Post by waynehoc »

A big thanks to Typrus, whose post got me started on this 'headlight journey'!

After having recently installed an upgrade wiring harness with relays, this weekend I swapped my original '87 composite headlights for sealed beam units from an '84 Tercel hatchback.

The headlight buckets and trim pieces, and side/corner marker lights were a perfect bolt-in, and matched up 100% with my '87 grill. The only glitch I ran into was the different plastic twist in connectors for the corner/side lights and the headlamp connectors. A little soldering and a pair of new H4/H6054 headlight connectors and glitch resolved.

Installed a Hella 72200 kit (readily available and less expensive than Cibie) which included two e-code housings, two H4 55/60 Watt bulbs and two silicone seals for the back of the housings (e-codes are legal in Canada).

Went out on a nice deserted, straight, pitch black road tonite and got the headlights adjustment tweaked (fine-tuned after gettting them fairly close aginst my garage wall).

What a difference! The (original) '87 composites had one good side (passenger) and one bad (drivers side). The drivers side reflector was badly tarnished/corroded, and was only putting out about 1/3 to 50% of what the (90% good) passenger side was.

It's amazing that I've been driving this wagon for so many years with such bad headlights - it's almost like being partly blind and then having corrective surgery and being able to see again. I'm sure the Cibie headlights may be even better, and higher wattage bulbs better again, but I'm really pleased with the results.

Thanks again, Typrus, for bringing this whole lighting issue to everyone's attention!
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

You're quite welcome.
I really would like to have E-code's in the shape of the American composites (they had them in Germany for some time) for the sake of a smoother front end AND the better lighting. Oh well. If I can't find them then our 87 will be getting some sealed-style conversions put in.

Glad it went so well! I'm still considering wiring with 10 gauge, but at the same time dunno if I want to do it. I'm feeling lazy >.< That and anything less than maybe 100watters is really not justified with 10 gauge.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
hornett22
Top Notch Member

i like these.great price.

Post by hornett22 »

there is only one jeep.and that is one too many!
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Nope. A) Those are not the genuine thing B) Those are the standard sealed beam style. >.< Thanks though.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
hornett22
Top Notch Member

maybe not but they work just as good for a lot less money.

Post by hornett22 »

my buddy has the Hellas and they work just as good.i don't think hella makes theirs anyway.
there is only one jeep.and that is one too many!