Choosing an oil filter...use only the best?

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Only issue with the rear brakes is if your emerg brake cables are snapped...the brakes won't self-adjust. You'll find your brake pedal going down quite a bit after awhile.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Typrus wrote:Wait a sec... You guys use the PL30001? I'm running the recommended one... PL22821... That stinker is huge! It looks by the pic to be big enough for a truck! Heck, it is the recommended one for the F-series from the late 60's to late 90's! Not to mention the Pinto. Lol.

Ok. Off Purolator's site-
PL22821 (1984 recommended application) 3.15" OD, 3.94" high, 3/4-16 thread, 12-15PSI relief valve, UNF-2B thread pitch
PL30001 (Used 75 Pinto as reference) 3.78" OD, 5.14" high, 3/4-16 thread, 8-16PSI relief valve, UNF-2B thread pitch
PL14476 (1986 recommended application) 2.69" OD, 2.93" high, 3/4-16 thread, 14-18PSI relief valve, UNF-2B thread pitch

So based purely on size, assuming the seal will seat properly, I'd go PL30001. Based on relief valve however, it's min spec is lower than either Terc, but higher max than the PL22821.
That small filter in the pic looks in real life like it should fit a riding lawn mower or something. The relief valve for the PL30001 is rated pretty low...but I'm doubting the valve would open too often.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

I'm tempted to find a filter for my moms car thats as highly or near as highly rated as a Pure1 to try. 20+PSI Bypass? With all the revving I do, its kind of a near-mandatory thing....

Or maybe find some other turbo-charged car that might have a big filter that'd fit and has a high bypass rating? (shrug)
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Here are the filters that filter down to around 10 microns?

"The way the Pure One achieves this filtering efficiency is by combining three different types of materials in their filter: paper like everyone else to catch the big stuff, and cellulose and fiberglass fibers to fill in the "large" holes in the paper with their much finer fibers.

Filters like this are now made by Purolator, Hastings (marketed as AMS), and Champion (marketed as Mobil 1 and Bosch). Accordingly, the best oil filters are the Purolator Pure One, Mobil-1, AMSOil, and Bosch. If you use one of these filters with one of the commercial synthetic oils listed above, you have the best protection money can buy." "

keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

Well what the heck. Back in the 60's, there was a very popular add on remote filter made by Franz. The called it an oil cleaner rather than an oil filter, and with it, you never needed to change your oil. You just changed the filter element every 1000 miles and added a quart of oil. The filter element, a roll of toilet paper. If it was installed correctly, it actually worked. The one on my mothers car was not installed correctly and ruined the engine. My dad had one put on his car and after 10 years and 100k miles of mostly city driving and trailer towing, you could not tell the oil had not been changed since the break in oil was drained at 600 miles. Of course, the oil was effectively change every 5k since the filter took out a quart and you had to replace it. My grandfather put 170k on his car with that filter and it ran like new at the end.

But things have changed. Toilet paper has gotten better at being toilet paper and worse as an oil filter, where oil filters have gotten better as oil filters. Oil filters never were worth a crap as toilet paper though. Engines run so much cleaner now and oil has gotten so much better, the filters have less to do now than they did back then.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

keith wrote:Well what the heck. Back in the 60's, there was a very popular add on remote filter made by Franz.....Oil filters never were worth a crap as toilet paper though.
What did I write about humor? Good one here.
I actually remember those filters. Popular Mechanics and its peers used to have big ads back in the '50s (and probably before). Wonder what ever happened to the company - maybe find one on eBay?
Tom M.
EDIT - - -
It's actually still available! I Googled it and came up with all kinds of happy owners. The company is located in ID. Check out the link to the company's site - fascinating!
http://autorepair.about.com/gi/dynamic/ ... frantz.htm
EDIT- MKII:
And - check out the pricing structure....
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

Wow, I didn't know they were still around. I hope no one interprets my post as an endorsement, it meant as a bit of historical trivia and a small diversion. Y'all carry on with the debate OK?
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Well, if they've been around that long....

I wonder if it matters if its Septic-Safe TP or not.

Absolutely fascinating. They claim 1/10 of a micron. At what efficiency I wonder?

I'd be worried about modern TP degrading too quickly. After all, its supposed to dissolve fairly easily nowadays.

Mickey_D
Top Notch Member

Post by Mickey_D »

Use commercial stuff. You know, what we used to call in the Navy "John Wayne TP"? ;)
1986 Tercel Wagon 4X4 SR5 (sold to splatterdog).

A bullet may have your name on it, but shrapnel is addressed, "To whom it may concern"!!
coltarms
Top Notch Member

Post by coltarms »

Just an added note, I recently did an oil change (and hit 180K miles) and used Valvoline MaxLife 10-40 with a Mobil1 Filter. About 50 miles before the change I was about 1/2 qt low so I topped it off with some general use Castrol ATF (to clean it out.) Now (after the oil change) I'm getting a lot of top-end knocking upon 1st startup in the morning. My car is usually parked outside my garage on a small incline. I don't remember this happening with the last few oil changes. I typically use straight Valvoline 10-40 (when it's on sale by the case) or Valvoline or Napa brand (which is manufactured by Ashland Mfg, the same people who make Valvoline) MaxLife 10-40. The only real difference is the filter of choice. I typically use the Pure1 or Napa Gold Brand filters due to price, but I tried the Mobil1 this time since I had a gift card to GI Joes..... I'm going to use the Purolator Pure1 next time and if it doesn't knock after the oil change I don't think I'll be using the Mobil1 again.
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

When I was in, we called it "Rambo" TP, probably for the same reason.
waynehoc
Top Notch Member

Post by waynehoc »

Now (after the oil change) I'm getting a lot of top-end knocking upon 1st startup in the morning.
If it were me, I'd get that oil filter changed out asap - sounds like you got one with a bad anti-drainback valve/flap.

I had this happen a few oil changes back, and it was a bad filter. Changed the filter and problem was gone.
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

someone metntioned a jeep, the mustang oil filter works on the SOHC 4.0L inlike 6 Jeep engine too. we did that with my friends moms 2000 Jeep grand Cherokee.

I beleive fram calls for a PH16 for the Jeep and the mustang filter is PH8A. they are the same size in terms of diameter of filter and gasket, but the PH16 is about half the height.
Tercel 4WD "POWER WAGOON" with 4A-C
aka: "no powa steering tercel, oh oh oh!"
mods: ignition at 10 DBTDC and 90 octane gas.