gm hei 4 wire ignition module install

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
chrlblk

gm hei 4 wire ignition module install

Post by chrlblk »

If you have been following my "I could be getting a free tercel" thread in the general discussion I talked about replacing my igniter with a 4 wire hei module. Please read entire post before starting this mod.
Here is how I did it:
Pull distributer (be sure to mark position of rotor, I didn't and had to turn motor to tdc compression #1 and reinstall with rotor pointing to #1 spark plug wire in distribuer cap )
The GM module has 4 wire terminals: W, G, C, and B
I wired the pickup - wire (white) to G
Pickup + to W (orange or brown, I am color blind so I don't know) The toyota igniter is labled + and - so note this before pulling stock module!
The C terminal on GM module goes to - of coil
The B on GM module goes to 12v +. I tied into wiring going to original module.You have to mount the module to a piece of aluminum as a heat sink so the module does not burn up. Run a good ground wire from heat sink to ground. I went to neg battery post.
Reinstall distributer
You should now have spark.
You lose the connection that goes to the computer. Tape it off.
I am only using this as a temporary solution to not having spark (my motor has been on fire I just wanted to see if it would run)
I am going to get the correct igniter when I get my car on the road so my tach will work .
I will keep the GM module and wiring with me incase I break down. (doesn't seem likely with the reputation that these beasties have)
If you google "GM HEI module conversion" you should come up with a few sites showing this mod for mazdas, nissans and the like. (that is what I did)
P.S.
This module was used on many a GM product in the mid 80's. Any parts place (I used Kregan, ((a.k.a checker, a.k.a schucks))) should have this module. I told them "I have a 1985 Chevy Chevette and I need a ignition module." After laughing at me they looked up the part and they had two in stock for about $25
If you ever are stranded with a bad igniter this could get you home.
PICS to come
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Its possible that if you did a full conversion (if thats even possible) then aftermarket could open way up. Just a thought.

Thanks for the info!
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

sounds like there is hope for my msd crap
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come
kamiphloj
Top Notch Member

4AC used in 80's Chevy Nova

Post by kamiphloj »

I don't know if it matters,but there may be a connection?
Like my old Volvo 544 with 4wd.I seldom regret neversieze or threadlocker
schmooot

Post by schmooot »

sorry for the old bump but what engine/year is this applicable to?
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

these pics are awesome! :roll:

I might give this a shot, i hate my distributor.
Tercel 4WD "POWER WAGOON" with 4A-C
aka: "no powa steering tercel, oh oh oh!"
mods: ignition at 10 DBTDC and 90 octane gas.
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

If/when one of my igniters goes I might try an old ford duraspark fender mounted module. One of the most durable domestic ignition modules ever. I've finished off more than a couple 70's fords and almost all still had their original going strong. I've replaced numerous hei's and the newer dist mounted ford ones. The less electronics mounted to a very hot piece of vibrating metal the better in my book.

Are there any non integral coil distributors, but still electronic ignition, that drop into our engines? That would really open up the door to some hotter spark.
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

maybe we could use a 4ag unit and just make it fit, as far as wiring goes im a ditz in that area so i wouldn know
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Wiring ignition is the easy part. Physical fit is the biggest obstacle. I recently modified(with the help of a machinist) an hei dist out of a 79 chev truck to go in my 83 landcruiser. Huge improvement! But I went from a weaker ign. and a dist with no advance because of blown diaphrams and seized internals. There was so much corroded aluminum inside it looked like a full ash tray.

Beyond T4's and my landcruiser I'm not a toyota guru by any means. There has to be something to "drop in". Maybe non US?

I guess I'll have to check other toy/tercel forums. They might have the answer. I've never looked beyond the best forum here!

I good toyota graveyard around here would be nice too.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Re: gm hei 4 wire ignition module install

Post by Typrus »

Our 81 Corolla-Tercel has an external coil dizzy on it. As in here- http://www.autozone.com/R,185526/vehicl ... Detail.htm

Not sure how you'd rig it up, but you could probably get it nice and hot.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew