So you've just bought that "new" T4WD-what's next?

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
takza
Highest Ranking Member

So you've just bought that "new" T4WD-what's next?

Post by takza »

Since you probably don't know a lot of history on your new (to you) car...and some people don't maintain their cars very well...there are a few things that are generally a GOOD thing to go thru before driving it much.

Many of these checks and minor repairs might save you some headaches and maybe "walletaches" down the line.

You'll have chance to get "aquainted" with your new friend.

"Be nice to your ass...for it carryeth you." -a guy who rode donkeys-

* change the engine oil and filter

* drain and refill the manual transaxle using 4.1 qts of gear oil

* do a tuneup...using new plugs, wires, cap and rotor..set the ignit timing

* new air filter

* carefully check ALL vacuum lines....yes it's a plate of spaghetti...but you like spaghetti don't you? Will need to remove the air cleaner to do this.

You can buy new vacuum hose in various sizes...it's a good idea to also have some small nylon ties to help close the ends of some of them. Check for "split ends" and loose hoses. Can also check a vac diagram to see if they are routed right.

It's a good idea to snug down any loose carb screws when doing this.

* check the battery posts for clean & tight connxs

* Remove the negative battery cable. Go thru ALL electrical plugs and connxs under the hood, pull them apart...check for green corrosion...hit them with WD40. Be careful...the plastic can be brittle.

* check your tire pressures

* check your lights

* there are many other things to check and adjust...this is just a start.

* always a good idea to eventually take the inside panel off the drivers side door and lube (with grease and heavy oil) everything that moves...tighten screws...and adjust the channels----pull the heater controls and oil all pivots and espec the cables...and adjust them correctly-----do these things BEFORE you spend a lot of time forcing these things and BEFORE they break?

Note: this is just the beginning of what might prove to be a long relationship. If you are having difficulties...there are mechanics who specialize in person/car marriage counseling that can help you over the rough spots. Check the Yellow Pages.
Last edited by takza on Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Re: So you've just bought that "new" T4WD-what's n

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

takza wrote:"Be nice to your ass...for it carryeth you." -a guy who rode donkeys-
I like that quote. :lol:

The coolant in most old cars is probably long overdue for a change. Installing a new OEM thermostat at the same time wouldn't hurt either. And I'd inspect the radiator cap for any bad seals.

Check (or change) the rear diff oil on a 4WD, I'm guessing that's a neglected area on an old Tercel.

Use NGK plugs! :D
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I forgot......check the alt/waterpump belt tensions and maybe replace the top radiator hose...usually the first to get weak.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

CASE

Post by CASE »

oil filter, stereo, carb linkage, close up or replace the holy parts of your exhaust pipes. if your missing some of those donuts that hold your manifold, that's bad, your exhaust system will swing around until every bit of it is broken. smart people get more donuts, I used bailing wire. put 98% of an injector cleaner additive in the bottom of that crusty old tank then quickly fill your tank with 89 octane + petrol. use the last few drops of that injector cleaner additive like gumout, then get on the road and gun it! see if you can do 60 in 4th! wrapp it out good (never in nuetral) this is not near as good as steaming out the ports under your valves, but it is cheap and sometimes does alot of good. Also note- your cheap rotor from the local parts chain is kicking back and forth about 2 feet from your drivers seat, and sounds exactly like a broken rocker arm on a 455-that's why a stereo is so important-ENJOY!
-CASE
TuffGong
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 6 sp.

Re: So you've just bought that "new" T4WD-what's next?

Post by TuffGong »

I just recently changed my rear differential and it was almost an inch low and very sludgy!!!

I highly recommend checking (and probably changing) your rear differential gear oil as mentioned above and checking your boot that fits on directly over the shifting housing. Mine was deteriorated and the housing was rusting very nicely for however many years.

I also added a tube of JB gear oil additive into the rear diff. as well. Nothing but the best for my baby :wink:
84' SR5 Tercel wagon 4wd w/carb mods & a PCV jar.
Neu
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 No Mods

Post by Neu »

I have about 30 dollars worth of full synthetic gear oil in my rear differential. And yes, check it. Dont drive it and then check, let it sit for about 30 minutes, let all the air get out of it, then check it.
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

Also check the voltage regulation of the Alternator with a multi meter.
I would not recommend buying a tercel with an external voltage regulator. I have owned two that cooked out much of the electrical system due to external regulator failures( over-charging the system). When an internal type voltage regulated alternator goes you normal just lose charge and kill the battery.

Might as well replace the fuel filter since your under the hood and it only cost a few bucks too.
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
2005 Toyota Sienna, work van
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody
skyerunner
Advanced Member
My tercel:: Current: 1986 SR5 "El Phantasmo" Previous: White 1983 4wd that used to be my Grandmas

Post by skyerunner »

Where do you get to access the rear diff oil to drain/change it? I'm sure that has not been done on my car in a loooong time.
"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" ~Mary Oliver
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

skyerunner wrote:Where do you get to access the rear diff oil to drain/change it? I'm sure that has not been done on my car in a loooong time.

Drain plug is on the bottom. Fill hole is on the back of the diff.
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
2005 Toyota Sienna, work van
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Post by teranfirbt »

Top tip: Pull the fill plug first to make sure that you *can* pull the fill plug.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

And ESPECIALLY follow this step on the three fill plugs in the tranny!
They are quite shallow and are made from softanium and round off quite easily!
Use 6-point sockets on these and also read this: viewtopic.php?t=2160
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain