Testing a Condensator

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Testing a Condensator

Post by takza »

I was on an mpg forum and was offered a free Condensator to test.

http://www.condensatorsales.com/

Since I was still testing a vaporizer on my other car...I decided to test it with the T4WD.

Results:

tank 1....38.8 mpg < likely a fill where it shut off too soon?

tank 2....28.4 < extra gas was added to make up for previous tank?

tank 3....34.9 < close to the avg of the 1st two tanks at 33.6...so I'll call it valid...might be seeing a gradual increase here

Condensator 3 tank avg = 34 mpg...summer 2006

When looking back over the mileage records I do have...it's pretty hard to find a valid baseline...what with summer camping trips and driving it mostly in winter...and testing various things.

What I consider VALID 3 tank avgs are...summer driving...local....more or less consistant mixed driving.

EPA city/highway = 29.5 mpg

fuel heat-water inj avg = 31.9 mpg...summer 2004

summer 2005...only driven on camping trip

fuel heat-ozone-acetone avg = 32.1 mpg early summer 2006

So what's the % gain for the Condensator?

+15% vs EPA city/highway

+ 6% vs best 3 tank avg with mods

Previous mods were removed for this test.

Might be seeing a gradual mpg gain.

Will be trying to get my EGR working next and see what it does for mileage....if it doesn't cause drivability problems again.

Then will remove heated fuel setup...add fuel line magnets...manual choke...vortex generators....maybe acetone again.

Then there's those JATO rockets I have in the garage.....
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Hows it doing at this point?
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Last tank was at 30 mpg....with winter gas...no fuel heat...fuel line magnet....manual choke....working on heated air intake.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

When I was young, I used to fall for all these gimmicks too. If they worked as advertised, my 55 Chevy would have had 500 hp and I would have had to stop every 50 miles and drain the excess gas from the gas tank.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

lol.
My biggest "lure" to something like a condensator is just to clean up the CCV gasses. I don't care too much if the mileage skyrockets or not. Especially on my moms TDI. The EGR soot and CCV oil vapor mix in the intake manifold and create a tar-like paste that severely restricts airflow, especially if you don't drive hard. My mom drives 170+ miles a day, most of it highway, and I still got about 1/8 inch off the walls of the intake runner ports, and cleared up about a 25% blockage by the EGR valve. Also, the CCV vapors coat the intercooler in oil, reducing its effectiveness. Not to mention all the intercooler tubing, the turbo compressor, the vacuum lines running off to various gizmos...

Also, I really don't think that theres any gimmickyness to it cutting down on carbon buildup. Whether it helps mileage or not? No idea. Does it cut back on oil vapors in the intake system? Quite likely.

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

keith wrote:When I was young, I used to fall for all these gimmicks too. If they worked as advertised, my 55 Chevy would have had 500 hp and I would have had to stop every 50 miles and drain the excess gas from the gas tank.
Some things do work...but it's "buyers beware" for sure. The mpg game is a hobby that pays for itself...if you are lucky.

takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

After testing moly in trans and also an EFIE...I'm getting 36 mpg mixed....which I think matches what was claimed by 3ACPower at one time. So there...guy. Don't let those Canadian winters get you down. :lol:

Might even do a little better as it is tuned in...might not.

The Condensator caught around 4.5 oz of oil and a little water over 4K miles.

* the 36 mpg was a short fill...not valid
Last edited by takza on Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

I'll get anywhere from 26-34 in my semi-city driving. Depends on how I treat it. And the weather.
I still want something like a condensator.

Thinking about trying the Fitch fuel catalyst. I know 3 people that use it (2 on motorcycles, one on a Powerstroke) who have seen about a 5-10% improvement since adding. For $20, why not?

takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Typrus wrote:I'll get anywhere from 26-34 in my semi-city driving. Depends on how I treat it. And the weather.
I still want something like a condensator.

Thinking about trying the Fitch fuel catalyst. I know 3 people that use it (2 on motorcycles, one on a Powerstroke) who have seen about a 5-10% improvement since adding. For $20, why not?
There are several types of DIY Condensators...though I don't think they will do as well as the original.

I have a neo 40 magnet on the gas line....might try the Fitch if I can find one for $20.

http://www.fitchfuelcatalyst.com/cfm/ca ... ,1&drill=9

Guess they are using the drop in type? Looks like (3) cartridges for a 13 G tank? At $20 a cartridge....$60 or so? For $120 I could treat both current vehicles. That's why I've never tried one.

At 15K miles per year, a 10% gain, and at $3 a gallon...it'd pay for itself in 6 months or so.

thebigbread
Top Notch Member

Re: Testing a Condensator

Post by thebigbread »

takza wrote: Will be trying to get my EGR working next and see what it does for mileage....if it doesn't cause drivability problems again.
sounds like me, when i disabled the EGR there was probably a HP gain, albeit very little, maybe 1-2 HP.

as for mileage... I dont have a tag, so i only drive it on the "private road" (we live in a rural area and the nearest highway is 6 miles, and i know everybody on the block.) so in other words not enough driving to give an accurate estimate:

however, i would guess around 21-25 MPG.. but then again my timing is advanced 9 degrees, my spark plugs are indexed, & the carb is not on stock settings. I also put 6 oz of seafoam in the crankcase (oil), poured another 3 1/2 oz. through the carb, & put another 3 1/2 oz. in the gas tank. boy, what a difference.
1984 2wd wagon, "bottle rocket": http://www.myspace.com/1984tercel
1995 Isuzu TFR-S, "Shorty": no cardomain page yet
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

>.< love the Foam. Heh.
That kind of mileage is pretty low... Though, if its just really short driving it'd make more sense.
I live 22 or so miles from the Interstate. Closest county highway is 1 mile though.