tracking possible vacuum leak

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
raybbaby

What?

Post by raybbaby »

what is this board you speak of and how do I get there? I'm off to the autozone sight for now.
raybbaby

autozone

Post by raybbaby »

there isn't a repair guide for my vehicle currently on http://www.autozone.com also I now have the carb off of the car and cannot get it any further apart. I ordered the rebuild kit from a local auto store but I'm now wishing I had just bought the Weber. This is bound to be a huge headache.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Actual Autozone Link

Post by ARCHINSTL »

This is the link which will take you to the spot with the component systems menu. It is set up for my car, which is an '86, but the year will make no difference whatsoever. There is a lot of info in the carb page (text/diagrams/photos), as well as for the other systems.
Tom M.
LINK: ALL should copy it...
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroke ... epairGuide
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
raybbaby

idle cut off

Post by raybbaby »

Do you think this could be a faulty secondary idle cut off solenoid? I've got the carburetor all apart and don't really see anything suspicious, so I'm wondering what to do if I rebuild it and it stilll won't run. I guess that will be the next thing replaced. Can anyone tell me of an easy way to check the solenoid with the carb off the vehicle? Much thanks.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Full instructions on carb rebuilding (as well as individual component testing) are available on the Autozone link provided. They are in the lengthy carburetor section of the fuel system heading. It covers our carb as well as that used in the non-wagon Tercels of the later '80s, so it is quite long.

Oddly, solenoid testing is not covered (about the only thing of the car not covered), but you can test the solenoids by the info in the downloadable '85 manual's Fuel Section. This is available on the first page of this site (http://www.tercel4wd.com/); if obfuscating, go to the Newbie Notes and FAQs of the General heading, and directions to download are there.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
raybbaby

fed up

Post by raybbaby »

I've had it with trying to rebuild this thing. Ordered the weber today. Going to let everyone know how it works out. Ultimately it should also up my horsepower so that's a win too. :P
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Thats more of a post for Off-Topic....
Should be under Profile?
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

I think Smarty Cinthia is a spammer.
raybbaby

my headache

Post by raybbaby »

Well, I think I can say that it was the secondary idle solenoid. Took the carb apart to rebuild it and couldn't find anything wrong with it. decided not to rebuild it when the solenoid was most likely what needed repair/replacement. I bought a Weber instead and after some headaches and missing/mismatched parts, it's all together and running.Whoo-hoo! Soon I'll get some pictures up of the replacement as well as a picture of the old carb, air cleaner, and all the vacuum lines/emissions crap that came off, 'cause it is an impressive pile of junk. :D