R & R for the OEM front brake calipers...

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
takza
Highest Ranking Member

R & R for the OEM front brake calipers...

Post by takza »

Using a pair of (partially) loaded calipers from NAPA...I redid my front calipers due to the left front one sticking and not releasing.

* partially loaded meaning that the calipers include new hardware, but not new pads.

These are some complicated calipers...with 4 guides to hold the pads...2 wear indicators...and 2 springs that go on the pads.

* I used the old pads as an example for putting the new guides on the new pads...also the wear indicators & springs.

Also...the "sliders" need to be dissasembled, cleaned, transferred to the new calipers.....regreased (synth brake grease only?), and new rubber boots added.

* the hollow sleeve that goes over the bolt should be tapped out using a drift of some type...and I tried to save the rubber boots in case they were needed later. Then there is another sleeve in there. Might be some corrosion (rust) to clean up.

One rubber boot goes in...after the larger sleeves...then the long sleeve is put in. Then the last boot.

I used some Advance Gold pads....a step up from the kind provided with fully loaded calipers.

At any rate...getting the pads into the guides and the springs etc. on there and in the frame can be tricky...but doable.

Before removing the brake line at the caliper...I used a double layer of saran wrap under the master cylinder cap to keep the fluid from draining out....you don't want this to happen due to the issue of needing to rebleed the entire brake system.

Also, the top connx for the flex line needs to be taken loose in order to get the fitting unscrewed from the caliper...though in a pinch you can just rotate the caliper to remove it from the line.

You DON'T want to twist or kink the flexline a lot. And make sure it isn't twisted when finally refitted.

* final analysis: I wanted to get this job out of the road, but I could have saved some $ by just cleaning and regreasing the sliders. Also the left caliper that was "stuck" hadn't been replaced as recently as the right one had...the guides and other hardware were older. Neither piston was leaking or sticking.

This "sticking" happened right after running thru some deep water.

Found that someone had ordered one caliper previuosly and sent it back...keeping the rubber boots that go on the sliders...so I was shorted these. They did have the sense to just fix what was wrong though.
Last edited by takza on Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Heh. I did the same thing, but was doing the Master at the same time. Man is it "fun" to bleed the whole car. At least all my rusty nasty fluid is gone.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Later figured out that the problem was likely a sticking slider on the bad side...the outboard pad was worn down almost to metal...the brake wouldn't release. Pistons/boots weren't leaking.

Cheap fix would have been to clean up that side's sliders and to reuse some old pads on that side. Cost....priceless.

...but since I had the parts...total $125. With brakes it's best to do it right and be done with it?
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

2wagons
Advanced Member

Post by 2wagons »

Takza,
I rebuilt my front calipers too. But it seemed a lot less work. I bought loaded calipers from Carquest (top tier) for about 50-60 each if my feeble memory is right and slapped them on. I didn’t replace guides or boots or springs. Easy as pie. Now I m wondering- will my brakes fail now :roll: ??
“How did I get here, this is not my lifeâ€
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

The left side caliper was in worse condition...the right side was OK...but I had it off of there...so I redid it.

Depends on the condition of the pad guides, etc? Main things are the sliders and pistons?

If they were fully loaded with pads...all the hardware should have been new?