Defending your car against Mr RUST...

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Re: Defending your car against Mr RUST...

Post by Mattel »

Am in Italy right now and you do not see one car on the road older than 1995 apart from the odd rare FIAT bambino. I think FIAT have finally got there act together though. they now make this!
has a diesel turbo 1.3 litre engine, 6 speed manual with EL first and gets a crazy 54mpg combined. It is based on a small econo car called the FIAT Panda (much like how the Terc 4wd came about) and has 4wd with electronic diff locks. tiny boot though. But apparently a lot of fun offroad. James May from Top Gear has a 2wd one. I want to buy one to drive back to Australia in... did someone say departure angles?. :D
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Hmmm...
Wonder if this is in the works when FIAT takes over Chrysler here?
Hey, if the Element and Scion xB can sell...
How's it going?
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Going good, Love europe - just not a big fan of the euro € price against the Aus $ approx €1 to $2.

To ward of rust we used to spray fish oil on the insides of the car panels and it seemed to work really well (although you wouldn't want to even go near the car for a couple of days after.
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
terceldude
Highest Ranking Member

Post by terceldude »

Am in Italy right now and you do not see one car on the road older than 1995 apart from the odd rare FIAT bambino. I think FIAT have finally got there act together though. they now make this!
That's an SUV! :evil: I hate SUVs and SUV drivers because they are destroying the planet! At least drive it off-the-road all times...

Who know's what that has for MR. RUST!!!! :lol:
K-Business
terkill
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1987 Toyota Tercel 4WD

Post by terkill »

That car is the complete opposite of an SUV, id say BARELY a crossover. 54MPG is good, but that's normal for a diesel i believe.

---Today I test drove a Suzuki SX4 Crossover, gets 30mpg on a 2.0 DOHC and has 2WD/4WDviscous coupleing when slipping/ and a 4WD LOCK button. They have ALOT of pep, and are faster than corollas and are very VERY fun to drive. I am probably going to work over the summer for one, 15,000 base with power windows/AC/HEAT everything. You guys should check it out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"If parts ain't flyin, you ain't tryin"
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mattel »

The Panda and Fiat Sedici/Suzuki SX4 are probably the closest things on the market now to the Tercel 4wd they are both based on economy cars with some offroad pretension.
Now that everyone including Subaru only make SUV's these days it's refreshing to see concepts based on small off road car

hey Tdude, the panda is tiny! (see photo) and smaller than the "new" mini and even has a snorkel built into its roof
I don't know why I'm arguing though. but enjoyed your humor in the SUV's are killing the world and should only be used offroad comment.

so has anyone used the fishoil trick? or is this australia only?
terkill
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1987 Toyota Tercel 4WD

Post by terkill »

haha, fish oil sounds like- it smells terrible....i've heard of people using it though. what i did with my el camino is i grinded it down to the metal and rustoleum primered it the color of the car, mine was a black and grey. heres a pic, if u can notice on the door-line and rocker panels and fenders
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"If parts ain't flyin, you ain't tryin"
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

ATF is about the most neutral oil you can use? I only use maybe a pint (used) each fall. Even here in salt country using it has stopped the rust for the most part....but I do go over and under the car each year. ATF plus lithium spray grease...plus extra goop in the wheel wells.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

4doorVIP
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1988 SR5 Wagon

Post by 4doorVIP »

I ended up using some POR 15. Sanded then cleaned the rust and hit it with some POR 15 using a brush. The stuff applies on very smooth and a little bit of it goes a long way
2JZGTE-powered Tercel SR5