Great Cupholder Dilemma Resolved !

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Great Cupholder Dilemma Resolved !

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Well - of this I am proud...
I have solved the Great Cupholder Dilemma !
> > Note that this does not rank up there with the solutions presented by many members for our mechanical vexations, but it does make life with the Tercel Wagon a bit more tolerable...

1. Take a piece of 1/8" thick plastic, cut it to the dimensions shown in photo #2, and then use a hot air gun to bend it.
2. Take 2 Profile brand plastic bicycle water bottle cages (other plastic brands may work; traditional rod-type metal cages do not work well at all), heat them with the air gun to slightly open them to the larger diameter necessary for beverage cups.
3. Position the cages on the plastic upright and drill two holes per holder.
4. Place a velcro bicycle pump holder strap under the lower bolt of the aft bottle cage.
5. This plate will fit just behind the shift lever and between the console and the carpet, and the velcro strap will encircle the 4WD selector lever. The size of the plate may have to be modified for automatics; I am not familiar with that type of console.

The two-cage fitment dimensions shown should be considered the maximum for normal seat movement. If a "Super Gulp" size is desired, then 1 cage only can be fitted.

The Profile brand cage may be out of production; it is possible other plastic brands may work. I have many of these cages available for free, save for postage; PM me if interested. However, I have only the red color available - saved the black pour moi.

This is eminently sturdy enough to hold two large coffee cups with no worry of spilling or dumping the cups. It also gives complete movement of the shift lever, and takes no stretching of the arm to reach (unlike reaching the radio). I used the velcro strap/bent plastic as I did not want to permanently attach a simple vertical plate to the console, which of course can also be done.
Note that the strap retention device is necessary; simply sticking the plate in the gap will NOT work, and WILL dump the plate into the footwell.

It is also a rather elegant solution, if I do say so myself...
Tom M.
EDITED:I have not used this "off-road". I think the design/execution will withstand those rigors, although the cups could pop out or the lids could pop off - I'd try it with water in the cups before filling with a beverage of your choice...
Last edited by ARCHINSTL on Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
83toybeater
Top Notch Member

Post by 83toybeater »

first off i love it. very simple and to the point. have you tried it off road? i know my trany/ mounts and stuff are warn after all the years and my trany and transfer case levers move around would the tension on the strap in conjunction with movement cause a spill?

i have been in surch of a good solution, what i use is just puting the cup between the seat and hand brake most of the time its pretty snug and works,
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

Nice design! And awesome illustrated write-up! You should consider moving this to the 'Repair Guides' section so it doesn't disappear into the myriad of posts in this section. This would be great reference info for folks going forward.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

I'd be concerned about the weight of some cups being too much.... Damage the shifter linkage?
Awesome thought. A little input if I may?

Our VW Passat had a cupholder in the same location. As odd as it may seem, feet wind up there a lot and can break things off. We gave up after 3 replacements.

Perhaps a straddler-type holder would also be effective? 1 cup holder on each side, with velcro utilizing the carpet of the interior AS WELL AS either the 4wd selector or some other solid fixed point? Dunno how ackward that'd be for the driver, in terms of leg interference or the likes.

What'd really be cool is if the shifter lever were moved back about 3 inches and a cup holder was integrated into the stereo-holder thing. Though thats a massive amount of work just to have a cupholder lol.

Cool idea, I must say.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

typrus -
I will try to add a pix with a person in the passenger seat to allay fears of bodily interference. However, if Lollypop, as a self-described Big Boy, were to ride shotgun, this could be a problem (L - this was written with tongue-in-cheek and hopefully you will not take offense :wink: )
I tried this with a straddle-type prototype as you mentioned, but it interfered with the driver's leg.
And - I actually thought about cutting the shifter and moving it back with an elbow bend (much as a lot of old VW buses used in the '60s-'70s), but apart from the massive amount of work, realized that the cupholder when placed in front of the shifter would then interfere with the radio and the shifter bend would interfere with the 4WD lever.
I do not believe the weight of two full styrofoam cups (short of them brimming with mercury) will have an effect on the 4WD shifter, particularly when the force, such as it is, is to the side.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I mounted one of those plastic holders that go in the AC ducts....on the right side of the trans tunnel using a sheetmetal screw and a large fender washer...does OK. Should make one out of wood or something....
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

dcn
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 4WD SR5 Wagon

Post by dcn »

I just use the storage thing that's behind the emergency brake. Passengers have to hold their own drinks with that system, but at least I'm concentrating on piloting the Tercel instead of not spilling my Coke.

That being said, you definately havd a good idea there ARCHINSTL.
Metallic Blue '87 4WD SR5
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

I used a "touring accessories Type-S" cup holder that clips into the vent to hold beverages, works perfectly.