The Brake thred.

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
RabidHamster

Post by RabidHamster »

for those considering the Paseo/87+ tercel front brake swap

go straight to the AE92 Corolla front discs, they are a little thicker, a little bigger in diameter and use the same caliper. MASSIVE improvement on 87+ tercels(so if you were gonna use the tercel/paseo discs, get a little better for same cost :) .. infact while your at it, get a set of the power slot AE92 rotors with Hawk pads and you'll be laughing)

as for rear disc's.. you'll have to make up some brackets to hold the calipers... but FX16 rear discs or Starlet GT rear disc set up would probably be your best bet... unless ofcourse you swap out to supra/celica/corolla rear axle anyways

Typically when dealing with 80's toyota brakes on similar chassis don't bother swapping the master cylinder they are usually all the same .. all you need is the residual pressure valve that threads in between the hardline comeing out of the master cyl and the master cyl itself

I know this is true on the 87+ tercels but I don't know for sure on the 4wd wagons
looking for an 88 4wd tercel once current project is "done"

78 datsun 620 kingcab 2wd - race and show

86 Camry LE - Daily driver till modded tercel 4wd is "done"
Finder349
Advanced Member

SS brake lines?

Post by Finder349 »

Has anyone found SS brake lines that will fit the Tercel? I have done some checking now but am not coming up with much. My guess is that we will need to go with something off the Corolla.

Thanks,

Calvin
86 SR5 238k miles, 6sp. GONE :(
85 SR5 232k miles, 6sp. GONE :(
87 Toyota LE 4wd Van 184k :)
87 Toyota 4wd Van 236k :)
Yes I run with scissors.
Finder349
Advanced Member

Post by Finder349 »

OK well I just went on ordered some brakes... here is what I found so far.

The tercel and paseo disks and pads are in fact the same. The corolla mentioned above is diff enough that I did not go that route. They are the same diameter and that same actual rotor thickness but the hat on the corolla is a few mm taller. If in fact the corolla does use the same caliper then it must mount in a different location. I do not want to deal with the chance that the mounts need to be moved. I looked at the 92 corolla so that you know.

I odered powerslot rotors for the 92-99 paseo and new calipers but for the 95 since I was a little unsure on (could not remember) the 96 year differnce thing that was noted eirlier in the thred. Also ordered a set of hawk street race pads. I will give part numbers after I have put everything on and make sure that it all fits.

I will be making a junkyard run again soon and get the info I need to do the disk rear. I know it has been a long time in getting to all this but finally have no other choise. The brakes are past needing to be done. At this point I intend to weld on the caliper bracket stuff so that I can bolt a caliper to the rear axle. Just need to get some mesurements and find a suitable rear disk.

Still interested in the SS brake lines if anyone knows.

Calvin
86 SR5 238k miles, 6sp. GONE :(
85 SR5 232k miles, 6sp. GONE :(
87 Toyota LE 4wd Van 184k :)
87 Toyota 4wd Van 236k :)
Yes I run with scissors.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Well, I've heard nightmare stories about burst SS lines. (shrug)
You might have to go custom.

Paseo calipers have a hose that goes into a little pan-looking thing then the caliper, not like ours that thread straight in. As such, if the upper end will mount to ours from the Paseo, SS lines may work off the Paseo.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

you mean banjos, you can bolt in the normal lines to them, as far as the ss lines id go for corolla ae86 with the drift craze a lot of parts aere available for that car
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come