Toyota Service video for overhauling a 4af engine

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Toyota Service video for overhauling a 4af engine

Post by Mattel »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz6l3cm ... dzkyPiNSPM

This is a twin cam version of the 4a engine that is derived from our 3a but could be useful for amateur mechanics to watch.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Toyota Service video for overhauling a 4af engine

Post by Petros »

that looks like toyota's original training video. Everything done by the book, and using all the "special service tools" rather than DIY pullers, punches etc. Usually that is an internal training info. perhaps since the 4af is considered an obsolete engine, someone got a hold of it and put it on Youtube. Great resource.

When I worked for Nissan many decades ago, our shop made one for training their dealer mechanics on how to properly install ring and pinion gears. It is not really that complicated, you just have to get the lash correct, but too many went out improperly set up, and they ended up replacing it again. Since we set up the diffs that went in the 1000 hp Nissan race cars (and never failed one) they asked us to make a film to teach their dealer mechanics on how to set them up properly.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)