Lowering ride height

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
Als85tercel
My tercel:: 85 Tercel fwd 5 door

Lowering ride height

Post by Als85tercel »

Hey everyone. I've searched all around and I haven't been able to find anything about how to lower a Tercel on coilovers or lowering springs. I know they don't make coilovers designed for these cars. But I figured some one may have some experience with rigging something up.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Re: Lowering ride height

Post by Mattel »

viewtopic.php?t=7784

there are a few members out there that have looked at this before. Have a look through the search function for 'lowered'
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Hey Al,

I think Bailey went with bags, but here is a link to one of his posts. He is still around and I would expect him on this thread before long.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11148&hilit=lowered&start=30

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Als85tercel

Post by Als85tercel »

Thanks. It's good to know there are other people who still have these cars.
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by BaileySims »

Haha, I am always around. Honestly, I think airbags would be the last option you might want to look at. It was pretty darn pricey, although I do not regret doing it, I would look at cheaper options first.

Littlered4wd did come up with some great information there in his thread. I haven't looked up too much information on coils, but with prior vehicles I have owned, I just cut a coil off a spring at a time until I was satisfied with the ride height.

There may possibly be a threaded collar/sleeve that may be able to fit the stock struts. Another alternative would be these things called spring locks, which they should sell at any major auto parts store. It's essentially a u-bolt you place in the spring and tighten it to compress the spring. I'm sure it could could be done with only removing the wheel, which is the easiest option.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Hey fellas,

I know when I was going for a little more height, I combed through the moog options and found the 81043 which worked well for me.

Working with very similar dimensions and seeking a shorter install height, I came across the following possibilites:

spring______free height______installed height______inner dia.______bar dia.______spring rate______load________type

moog 81043__15.24"______________10"______________4.65__________0.53___________125_________655______constant rate____provided lift

moog 2266____12.91"______________7"______________4.65__________0.53___________130_________768______constant rate

moog cc258___13.06"______________7"______________4.56___________0.5___________100_________610______ variable rate

moog cc200____13"________________7"______________4.48__________0.47___________111_________604______ variable rate

Here is the link to the moog page so you can look around some, good luck.

https://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/u ... prings.asp

I would expect the variable rate springs to compress to an even shorter install height and still provide some cushion, the constant rate springs may get pretty firm pretty fast?

It would seem you may want to look into a shorter strut insert as well, it may improve ride quality vs. the longer strut mostly compressed??

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Als85tercel

Post by Als85tercel »

BaileySims wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:52 am Haha, I am always around. Honestly, I think airbags would be the last option you might want to look at. It was pretty darn pricey, although I do not regret doing it, I would look at cheaper options first.

Littlered4wd did come up with some great information there in his thread. I haven't looked up too much information on coils, but with prior vehicles I have owned, I just cut a coil off a spring at a time until I was satisfied with the ride height.

There may possibly be a threaded collar/sleeve that may be able to fit the stock struts. Another alternative would be these things called spring locks, which they should sell at any major auto parts store. It's essentially a u-bolt you place in the spring and tighten it to compress the spring. I'm sure it could could be done with only removing the wheel, which is the easiest option.
Thanks alot. My car needs struts so I think Im going to change those out. I figure I'll try the cut spring route since I want to make this car a budget build / ratrod thing