water temp gage video

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

water temp gage video

Post by xirdneh »

Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: water temp gage video

Post by Petros »

presuming the gauge is accurate, I would say you need a new thermostat. Get a good quality one.

I have noticed many times before my t-stats go bad, the temp gauge tends to fluctuate up and down a bit, rather than staying steady while driving at constant speed/load. The temp swings get slowly larger over time if I keep driving it. when I replace it, the temp swings go away, the gauge holds steady, and it never gets above half way on the Tercel temp gauge.

I would guess that the temperature regulating element in the thermostat is slowly failing. If you keep driving it, eventually it will not open far enough to keep the temperature down, and you risk damage to the engine/head gasket.

BTW. that is where I put my oil pressure gauge, in the right place to get a quick glace at it while driving.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

i forgot to mention in the video that the 90 mile trip was with the heat shut off. lever all the way to the left so water did not flow thru heater core. today i drove 40 miles with heat on and the temp gage got different results. i will post the results after one more long drive
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member

Post by xirdneh »

today i drove the 90 mile trip with heat on, lever all the way to the right so water flowed thru heater core
engine temp averaged about 10 degrees lower
staying around 179-181 degrees
going down hill it dropped as low as 175
going up hill went up as high as 189
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Post by teranfirbt »

Those temps are pretty normal, mine hangs around 177-180 on flat ground, gets up to about 190 climbing hills at high throttle. It should be those temps all of the time though, heater valve open or closed.