Lousy idling engine. Is it the fuel cut solenoid?

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Lousy idling engine. Is it the fuel cut solenoid?

Post by xirdneh »

Today i listened to a crappy idling engine and suspected it was solenoid issues
i tested the primary fuel cut solenoid (on aft end of carb)
it was a two wire solenoid so i connected the wires directly to the battery and the solenoid clicked so i knew it was working
then i hooked the solenoid back up and had someone turn the ignition key to "ON"
there was no click
after some testing i determined there was no juice getting to the solenoid
usually this is caused by a blown "Engine" fuse located in the fuse box on left fender
the fuse was good.
after more testing of the plug connections there was no juice getting to the plug
i have no idea what caused that. i know very little about electrical wireing
to solve the problem i hooked up a wire to the forward side (now that i thing about it maybe the aft side would be better) of the "Engine" fuse (just install a male blade to the end of a three foot section of wire and bend the blade 90 degrees and insert along with fuse)
i ran that wire to one of the two solenoid wires
then i ran a wire from the other solenoid wire to ground. (i used the 10mm screw on the firewall at the back end of the head)
now the idle is pretty good
with the fuse out and key set at "ON" the juice is on forward side so that is why i probably should have plugged blade in aft side. So fuse would blow if solenoid went bad by grounding.
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.