HUMBLE BEE BRAKE UPGRADE

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
LeeBiew
Advanced Member
My tercel:: "The Humble Bee" - Yellow 83 T4WD SR5 6spd and "The Goose" - Grey 86 T4WD DLX Auto (orphan to be saved)

HUMBLE BEE BRAKE UPGRADE

Post by LeeBiew »

I am excited to announce (what is quite possibly) the most perfect front brake setup for The Humble Bee! Everything is bolt on, without spacers, and only using off the shelf parts, nothing custom (just like I always do). This will be replacing my previous MK1b (88-89) MR2 caliper amd 98 Golf Rotor upgrade.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10513&start=15#p78841
The MR2 brakes performed BEAUTIFULLY, I highly encourage anyone interested, to do it. I will be rebuilding my MR2 calipers and I will use them to replace the stock brakes on The Goose, even though it is just a parts car.

I had a difficult time trying to decide on a brake setup even after narrowing down my choices to just three different calipers, all Toyota. I have decided to do the SMALLEST of the three. If anyone is interested in what the other two are, I have all the info you need.

My new swap may not be for everyone, as the parts can very hard to find or could be very expensive when you do. This swap will be very comprehensive, rolled out in phases, as parts arrive at my door. I have a HUGE list of part numbers, OEM and aftermarket (and even a few optional part combinations too) for a whole brake kit. Calipers, rotors, pads, master cylinder, brake booster, brake hose, and even brake fluid will be upgraded, SIGNIFICANTLY. The final list is complete now, just needs testing.

I am also going to do a full rear drum rebuild... for the lack of Corolla GTS rear end (at the moment) for a rear disc brake install (still searching, but SOON ;)).

Some may consider this quite a lot (too much) of a brake setup for just a daily driver commute... and it is, unless you drive like me :D . (Remember, my muffler fell right off due to rust, and I like it that way haha). At the minimum, you should install MK1b calipers. I don't consider the stock brakes to be safe enough... too much brake fade, too quickly, at too low a speed. Highway driving is when this is noticeable, not as much in the city.

I have enough parts now to at least conduct my test fitting of the caliper and rotor on the Goose. I want to make my measurements of the new caliper and the new rotor to check caliper/rotor offset. I have high expectations for a perfect fit this time around. I will test fit my caliper and rotor later today. I will post my findings in a write-up with some photos to come.

My new caliper is such a thing of beauty. I almost cried when I picked it up haha. Anyone want a sneak peek?
Last edited by LeeBiew on Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The Humble Bee" - Yellow 83 T4WD SR5 6spd
"The Goose" - Grey 86 T4WD DLX Auto (orphan to be saved)
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Re: HUMBLE BEE BRAKE UPGRADE

Post by Gottolovem »

Let's see :oldgeek:
LeeBiew
Advanced Member
My tercel:: "The Humble Bee" - Yellow 83 T4WD SR5 6spd and "The Goose" - Grey 86 T4WD DLX Auto (orphan to be saved)

Post by LeeBiew »

IMG_20161201_114755_3120_3120.jpg
IMG_20161201_114917_3120_3120.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LeeBiew
Advanced Member

Post by LeeBiew »

IMG_20161201_115409_3120_3120.jpg
WHO'S THE BOSS NOW?! haha
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Post by Gottolovem »

Ya sure that's gona fit without a spacer ?

You say your looking for GTS parts?
Wana buy a entire 87 fx gt-s?
LeeBiew
Advanced Member

Post by LeeBiew »

Yes, I believe it will fit! It should actually give me more rim clearance than my MR2 ones. But I won't actually know until the test fit. The caliper bracket design is quite different, it goes OVER THE TOP of the caliper instead of the FRONT OF IT, like the MR2 ones do. My previous rim clearance issues were with the inside face of the rim, not outside diameter. From my measurements, the caliper to rim clearance should be better. As for the rotors, I expect them to fit even better than the Golf ones, because the "top hat" is 2mm shorter and the disc is 2mm thicker too. (my Golf rotors were +1mm for "tophat" and -2mm for rotor thickness AND my rotors will increase from 256mm to a full 260mm too).
Last edited by LeeBiew on Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
LeeBiew
Advanced Member

Post by LeeBiew »

hmm let's PM each other about that 87 GTS you got, I am very interested! The "rear disc" project is a WHOLE OTHER can of worms when you consider all the bolt patterns, axle sizes, and rear ratios. My best lead right now is a 4x100 axle from an 80's Toyota van combined with various SR5 and GTS RWD Corolla parts.
Tercel__jon
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 4wd Wagon

Post by Tercel__jon »

What in the world...

Dual piston?

I need this.
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

Post by The Professor »

Yes, please share your findings as soon as possible! Thanks!
1975 Subaru SuperStar wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction wagon & hardtop
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1987 Subaru RX Type-RA 3-door
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
helipilot77
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 wagon

Post by helipilot77 »

I'm also on the edge of my seat.
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
Tercel__jon
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 4wd Wagon

Post by Tercel__jon »

Any updates yet?
spencercat
Advanced Member
My tercel:: '84 SR5

Post by spencercat »

Still waiting for an update to this!
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Well, the last time the OP visited was a year ago this coming Saturday, so ...
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Rednecklawrence
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 5.5 Tercels total... Not enough

Post by Rednecklawrence »

I've actually had contact with LeeBiew. He lives in Edmonton which is like a half hour from me. He hasn't fallen off of the face of the earth, so I could shoot him a text if anyone wanted...
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

Post by The Professor »

Rednecklawrence wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:58 pm I've actually had contact with LeeBiew. He lives in Edmonton which is like a half hour from me. He hasn't fallen off of the face of the earth, so I could shoot him a text if anyone wanted...
If this brake upgrade is all he's hyped it up to be, then yeah, you should look him up!
1975 Subaru SuperStar wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction wagon & hardtop
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1987 Subaru RX Type-RA 3-door
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited