Pilot bearing removal

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2006 Pontiac Vibe

Pilot bearing removal

Post by lannvouivre »

After reading a little online literature and deciding I really am that cheap, I figured out a great method for this to remove the bearing without damaging it or spending $40+ on a crappy tool:

Get a size 8 mm shallow socket and an extension. Combine them into Socket-tron. (Socket needs to be as large as can fit into the inner race without getting stuck).
Put some paper towels under the butt end of the crankshaft, because it will be a little messy.
Pack damp paper towel shreds behind the pilot bearing. Really, really pack them in good and tight.
Pack some damp paper towel into the 8 mm socket.
Take your engine assembly lube and squirt tons inside the middle of the pilot bearing, then also into the socket.
Stick Socket-tron inside the inner race. It should be kind of springy and try to push out.
Hit the end of the extension with a mallet. The race should kinda push out.
Add more lube.
Insert socket.
Hit.
Repeat previous steps until the bearing pops right out.

I didn't try soaking the paper with oil/lube, that might work better. Thicker lube, like bearing grease, may also help. I find the water squishes out of the paper and decreases the pressure too easily, but the thicker engine lube did not have this problem.
But...did you try hitting it with a hammer?
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Re: Pilot bearing removal

Post by xirdneh »

i use grease packed in the backside of bearing and a metal rod that fits perfectly Inside the bearing (small hole) and smack the rod with hammer for some hydraulic action
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I used the same method Xirdneh uses, I found a big bolt with a shank size of 8 mm and used it as a plunger. Cheap axle grease works well, you might reduce the amount of grease you need by stuffing a plastic bag in the hole first (or perhaps paper towels). the only disadvantage I found is you end up with a big wad of stiff grease in the back of the crank that you have to clean out. Stuffing paper towel or plastic baggie in first would make clean up easier and waste less grease (all of about 25 cents worth).

I have also fabricated a hook tool and used my cheapo body slide hammer on it.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2006 Pontiac Vibe

Post by lannvouivre »

I had no grease to use and heard it makes a larger mess, which would cause my parents to disown me (I make enormous messes with bearing grease). The engine lube is a lot easier to wipe up, and the paper towels leave the inside area of the crank nice and clean, unless you use really nasty water.

Since I don't own a slide hammer, this was a pretty nice solution, especially since if I messed up on installing the new bearing, I can get it back out without messing it up.
But...did you try hitting it with a hammer?
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

ditto xirdneh's approach. my dad showed me that when he helped me replace the clutch on my wife's 91 toyota pickup. but i don't understand now why i did that, since i removed the flywheel to get it machined anyway. i think i could have easily knocked it out once the flywheel was off the engine.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

I rented a slide hammer but it was too big. Ended up just barely getting it out by fiddling around with the hammer thing.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k