tranny tips

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
sherlock

Post by sherlock »

Ok. So I just pulled the huge missle of a tranny and did all the required stuff. clutch,
rear seal bearings etc. It was necessary to drop the exhaust system which was a nightmare cus some moron at a muffler shop had replaced the Cat and WELDED it in place. He must have cut off the brackets so I had one 10 foot exhaust system to deal with. Anyway the first tip is how to get those large rubber rings off the exhaust system pipe- I used a small tool that you use for tying rebar together. Home depot-about $1.50- wooden handle with a hook on the end.
Second tip is using two 4 inch C clamps to bring the tranny up snug to the back of the engine. Never would have done it without the clamps. By back hurts and I never want to do it again. Almost ready for winter. Ain't going to touch this tercel for 7 months.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

You should look at changing your tranny oil before winter if you can. Its not difficult, and if you perform a search there are multiple writeups.

I just pulled the engine last clutch I took care of... Didn't do rear main cuz I couldn't get it off myself so I left it (No problems... Yet)
And I think I got Marvel Mystery Oil on it because for quite a while it was screwy-slippery. It has settled more down now, but I know I'll want something with more bite next time.
What brand clutch?

BTW, Congrats!
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

3ACPower had a technique he used...posted somewhere...lots of people seem to have problems with the last few inches as far as getting the engine..bellhousing together. Using force of any kind bothers me though.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

2wagons
Advanced Member

Post by 2wagons »

Hey Tyrpus, are you referring to pulling an engine form a Tercel? If so how did it go, any tips? I need to do mine this fall sometime. Sherlock you are right, the tanny is a heavy missile, I saw a couple of guys putting one on my old old Tercel years ago, they had a heck of a time horsing that thing around and that was under a lift in a garage! So I intend to pull the engine, not getting any younger you know..
“How did I get here, this is not my lifeâ€
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

I separate the front diff and bellhousing from the transmission and put them on one at a time. That way no excessive force is needed.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

When lifting the engine, always make sure all connections (both electrical and bolt) are disconnected. On the engine mounts, disconnect the lower bolt. Its harder to get to, but it saves you A LOT of extra trouble.. Like stripped bolts, bent pressure plates, etc.
I bent the pressure plate on both engines I've pulled. I could not pull them out forward enough. I likely should have dissassembled the radiator support, but I did it alright.
Do not apply too much upward forceon the engine before it is clear of the transmission, or the input shaft on the tranny will bend the clutch pressure plate. That means a whole new clutch assembly.
OTher than that its mostly common sense.

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

2wagons wrote: Hey Tyrpus, are you referring to pulling an engine form a Tercel?
i've pulled and reinstalled quite a few tercel engines. never had any trouble with manual tranmissions. i pulled two off of automatics that were difficult to separate without bending the torque converter. the starter plate is not easy to disconnect from the convertor. i was just salvaging the engines so it did not matter that damage occurred. i never plan to reinstall an engine to an automatic tranny. good luck to whoever attempts it. to those who have done it successfully i tip my hat to you.
when pulling the engine from a manual tranny i remove all the front end stuff (grill, fan, radiator). dissconnect the exhaust pipe at the manifold and the first pipe hanger down under so the pipe can be pulled off the manifold and pushed out of the way. (makes reinstallation much easier). disconnect motor mounts (two big nuts), wires and hoses and the little shock aborber next to oil pan on passenger side. use a short pc of chain between pulling hooks on the head. put a jack under the front of the transmission just snug. when you pull up on the motor and break it free of the tranny check the jack under tranny and bring it up till snug.
if you do not give the tranny a bit of support it will make it harder to pull engine free. also if there is no support for tranny it will drop when engine is pulled free. if you work the jack and the hoisting together the tranny will be in a good spot for engine reinstallation.
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

easiest way to fill up the tranny is to remove the gearstick, and pour the oil into the big gaping hole, just make sure to not get any gear oil on the upholstry, nothing gets the smell of gear oil out of fabrics.
Tercel 4WD "POWER WAGOON" with 4A-C
aka: "no powa steering tercel, oh oh oh!"
mods: ignition at 10 DBTDC and 90 octane gas.
Eatpants
Advanced Member

Post by Eatpants »

why didnt i think of that!!! filling that thing is a pain!

and yes gear oil is quite a fragrance
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Heh. Its still in my shirt after 20 washings.

takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Don't think the top fill gambit will work with the T4WD.....but it might if you pull the rubber thinga-ma-bob....the shift lever sits in....
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Eatpants
Advanced Member

Post by Eatpants »

how hard is the rear differential to drain and refill?

why wouldnt pulling the shift lever boot and putting oil in that way work?
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

...the rear diff is real easy...IF the plugs aren't stuck...don't even have to jack it up.

...the thing about the top fill for the trans is taken from something 3ACPower said...he's had a few parts on/off these cars...might be able to though...if you completely pull the shift lever....

....my opinion on the trans oil subject is simply this...if you have ANY doubt about the oil or trans condition...drain it...check the plugs for metal...then refill it with 4.1 qts quality oil.

...don't want to do it yourself...have them do it on a rack....lose the trans...you don't have a car...

...there are a couple writeups on it.....

3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

There is no hole going from the part the shifter goes into down into the transmission. The hole is filled by the shifter shaft which goes into the tranny and actuates the shift forks. I guess if that bushing was really loose from being worn out, some gear oil would eventually leak down there. But it's seriously not difficult to use the funnel and some 1/2" PVC tubing going to the filler plug.
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

well, when i took out my gearstick to drop the tranny, i saw oil slooshing around in there, and water floating on top of that oil which in the winter would freeze and prevent me from being abel to shift at all.. :lol:
Tercel 4WD "POWER WAGOON" with 4A-C
aka: "no powa steering tercel, oh oh oh!"
mods: ignition at 10 DBTDC and 90 octane gas.