flasher mod for LED bulbs

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
c_j
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: T4WD#4: '86 SR5 6-speed, original Barto lift & steel bumpers & winch, also 95Amp alternator

flasher mod for LED bulbs

Post by c_j » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:30 am

If, after swapping your incandescent bulbs for LED, you want to come back down from hyperblink space back to the normal world, you can make a fairly easy mod to the OEM flasher:

I"m not going to say that it is easy to get to the flasher or even to take it apart, but all you have to do after that is add some capacitance with a capacitor.
flasher0.JPG
flasher1.JPG
flasher2.JPG
This seems to be about the right speed for me at 6.9uF. I tried 4.7uF and it was too fast, and I tried 9.0uF (3.3+4.7) and it didn't blink at all.

As a side note, if you are taking the cover off the flasher, there are the 2 release tabs on the sides of the cover, but there are also 2 more release tabs that are holding pins B and E as well. All 4 must be released to get the cover off.

Another side note is that since:
B = battery,
E = ground,
L = lamps,

then I assume that one could get a standard 2-prong LED flasher with the extra ground wire and make it work like this:
B pin on harness to X terminal on flasher,
E pin on harness to ground wire on flasher,
L pin on harness to L terminal on flasher.

I also notice a lot of the Stant (or Novita Technologies or Tridon) flashers say "LED compatible" on them these days, so just buying a normal aftermarket flasher might be the easiest fix.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

helipilot77
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 wagon

Re: flasher mod for LED bulbs

Post by helipilot77 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:08 pm

Thanks for the tip. Just finished modding my spare flasher just as you have instructed. So now I can finally install the LED's that have been bouncing around in my glove box for several months.

. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]