Installing a Weber carb

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

So as long as the cat is there, nobody should give a rip whether the rest of the stuff is there?
If you have a manual choke, can you enrichen the mixture for higher altitudes if you are cruising up over a 10,000 ft pass?
So what jets are best for our engine?

Errr... You have no vac lines feeding to your dist Teddy?
The heck is a water controlled choke? Never seen something like that before...?

So wait.. How'd you block the EGR..? I'm moderatly confused... I'd guess this is not advisable for a car that has to pass emissions every year..? Once these cars hit the 25 year old mark (for our US citizens) just how often do they have to pass? I can't wait to throw some of those blue plates on there lol.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
Eatpants
Advanced Member

Post by Eatpants »

if you look at a EGR, down where it bolts in

well he cut off the actual valve and welded the tube in the middle completely shut, so its basically an EGR mount plug (with new gasket of course)
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

do you need the mounting plate? looks like the bolt holes are the same; and if they aren't, is it posible to drill out the holes on the webber so that they fit directly on the stock intake manifold?
Tercel 4WD "POWER WAGOON" with 4A-C
aka: "no powa steering tercel, oh oh oh!"
mods: ignition at 10 DBTDC and 90 octane gas.
FH Bible

Post by FH Bible »

I just plugged th vacuum line on the EGR. Right or wrong I don't know but it is working for me.
j
Dirtmagnet
Advanced Member
My tercel:: Two 1983 4wd SR5's, One Lifted; 1986 Deluxe Auto, All with Webers

Post by Dirtmagnet »

Mac Posted on Oct 13 2005, 12:21 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do you need the mounting plate? looks like the bolt holes are the same; and if they aren't, is it posible to drill out the holes on the webber so that they fit directly on the stock intake manifold? 
The Weber bolt pattern is smaller than the stock carb. I think the base on the Weber will not even cover the manifold opening. This is why an adapter is needed.
Once your over the hill, you just pick up speed. <><
Lateer
Top Notch Member

Post by Lateer »

The adapter plate is required to be able to bolt the Weber to the manifold.
The bolt pattern on the Weber is smaller.

The Weber will cover the manifold opening and then some, if mine is anything to go by...
1983 Tercel SR5 with 185/75R14 tyres, 32/36 DGAV Weber carburetor, lumpy cam and upgraded Pioneer sound system. Veteran of several fire seasons (with the scars to show it) and known as "The Racing Turtle"
Inkyturbo
Top Notch Member

Post by Inkyturbo »

Lateer wrote: These carbs are only CARB compliant if you keep the original air cleaner and emissions gear.
You can do that, there are adapters online for that sort of thing. Most of the vacuum lines can take vac from somewhere else.

Basically, if I was in California, I wouldn't do it. It wouldn't be worth the hassle.

And you've got to remember, with the current world fuel prices, this is something of a performance modification.
Damn... In three years when my car turns 25 and it never has to be smogged again a Weber is going on that engine I guarantee you.
Josh G.

Joy is passing a brand new car at 80 in the fastlane, with your 22 year old Japanese economy car.

1983 Toyota Tercel Wagon (4WD, SR5)
raybbaby

grateful

Post by raybbaby »

I just got a Weber 32/36 today and went out and set everything where it goes before sealing any of the gaskets in place and I was stumped when looking at all the left over emissions stuff and had no idea how to go on. I'm supergrateful for these pictures. Do I have to transfer the old electronic choke stuff onto this carb? Is that a pretty straightforward deal? Much thanks for any help.

AAUUGGHH!-C. Brown
raybbaby

wha-huh?

Post by raybbaby »

upon closer inspecton it appears that the fuel line in the pictures comes in on the opposite side on my carb. Does that make any difference or should I just run a slightly longer hose to it? any tricks to attaching the electronic choke junk?
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Re: wha-huh?

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

raybbaby wrote:upon closer inspecton it appears that the fuel line in the pictures comes in on the opposite side on my carb. Does that make any difference or should I just run a slightly longer hose to it? any tricks to attaching the electronic choke junk?
Yeah, just run a longer fuel line to your carb. You can get rid of and block off all your old emmissions stuff. You just need one vacuum line running from the carb to your distributor. Your Weber will have come with one of three kinds of chokes, either a electric, a coolant actuated, or a manual choke. Depending on the type, you will hook it up differently. You can't adapt your old stock choke AFAIK. I have the electric type on mine. I just ran the wire that actuated my OEM carb choke to the new carb's choke. It works great.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
raybbaby

what now?

Post by raybbaby »

This carb doesn't have the electric choke which my old one did. Will it still work? What do I need to hook it up? Shouldn't the salespeople I bought it from have mentioned this? I'm growing incredibly frustrated with this whole deal. Now I suppose I'll have to ship this back where I ordered it from. More wasted money, more wasted time. I'm off to send this distributor a nasty e-mail. probably won't make walking for another week seem any better, but I guess that allows them to screw you better if they aren't risking a face to face ass-chewing. Anyone who is thinking of ordering a weber online should read this post and take notice so this doesn't happen to you. See y'all tomorrow!
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

You can drive it without a choke right now anyway. Find out how to hook up the choke that's with it?
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

raybbaby

d'oh!

Post by raybbaby »

Turns out they sent me the wrong style of 32/36. while listed as an electric choke model, this is the manual model. Not my goof, although a more mechanical dude would have recognized this almost immediately. The listing clearly says;

WEBER DVG SERIES - This 2 Barrel Progressive Carb Is Versatile, Increases Performance, And Is Both Cost And Fuel Efficient, Easy To Install, Easy To Maintain, Includes One 32/36DGAV Model Carb (Part Number 22680051B), Electric Choke, Redline Adapter Number 99004333, Linkage Number 99007600, Air Filter Assembly Number 99217332S, Base Gasket Number 99005068

In adddition the picture with the listing shows the electric choke model. I'll let y'all know how the refund/return goes. I suppose walking IS good excercise.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Need a hole in the hood for cooler air... heh.. Or just a ducting route from a place of high wind to near the filter. On the Powerstrokes equipped with Donaldson air filters (about a 16inch long by 12 inch diameter) and K&N cones, we use dryer-vent ducting to route cold air up to the area of the filter.
Heh... Between the porting, higher comp ratio, bigger exhaust, and ported manifolds, the Weber will really open her up.. Still thinking about looking at a 38/38 DGAS though :twisted: Though that might be a bit too much as it is a synchronous, not a progressive. (shrug)
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
raybbaby

choke wire bundle

Post by raybbaby »

my choke wire comes out of a bundle (red-choke, black-secondary pump?, white to secondary idle solenoid,) do I just cut these? plug 'em off and directly wire the red to the new electric choke post? Kinda stumped here. Thanks to this forum I did buy an inline fuel pressure regulator. I'm sure it will be twenty bucks well spent. :) Upon working more on this project, I'm now looking at a picture in the Weber instructions that show a solenoid on the right of the electric choke assembly.(there is just a screw/plug in these pictures, and in my new carburetor) Is this not worth messing with? If I have to do it which of the two solenoids is it? Secondary idle cut-off (one black wire) or primary (two wires)? Also do you have any clear pictures of all the throttle body linkage? I'm stumped as to what to do with the little 1 1/2" arm, the sort of u-shaped arm on the throtttle screw, and so on. It's a bit of a big puzzle to me.