Installing a Weber carb

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
ebayollis
My tercel:: 1985 4x4 wagon

Re: Installing a Weber carb

Post by ebayollis »

great post guys...Im thinking of the weber myself
GotToyota?
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986 Tercel Wagon DLX

Post by GotToyota? »

So curious about the Weber installation. You just plugged all the vacuum lines that would normally go to the factory carb?
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Goldie is a Federal car and there is now no emissions inspection in MO for cars built prior to '96 (and those tests still apply only to the STL Metro area counties).
I removed the vapor canister and all emissions tubing and devices, including the EGR stuff - made a blanking plate for the EGR-to-manifold hole.
I routed the fuel vapor tubing that formerly went to the canister down to the hole in the chassis from whence the OE tube drew its air -and I've never smelled any fumes.
The cat converter is still in the exhaust system, although I capped its air suction tube and removed the devices to which it was connected.
Tom M.
EDIT - I forgot, until dlb's reminder - I hooked up the manifold vac (one of the "gas filter" ports/the other capped and sealed) to the upper dist canister port (rear HAC port blocked) and the carb port to the lower dist canister port.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

GT, i found that the best weber setup for me still included the manifold and ported vac advance hoses and the charcoal canister: i noticed hesitation on acceleration without the vac advance hoses hooked up, and both friends and i smelled gas a lot until i put the charcoal can back in. i removed everything else.

something to keep in mind about the weber on the west coast is that in cold, humid climates, icing can be an issue in the winter. it's not a big deal but after 5 or 10 mins of driving in temps around freezing or below, icing in the weber will cause rough idle or dying at idle. this usually lasts a couple of minutes, just until the carb body warms up enough to prevent icing. i found it really annoying so it's one of the reasons i prefer the stock carbs.
GotToyota?
Top Notch Member

Post by GotToyota? »

Damn that's a bummer.

It honestly doesn't get to freezing temperatures much around here.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

yeah, depending on your local temps and what you dig, you might really prefer the weber. it's probably the single cheapest, easiest mod for the 3a that yields the biggest gains. it's way more responsive, gets about the same fuel economy as stock (as long as you still drive sanely), and sounds much cooler. it's got a really throaty sound when you open up the throttle. i was really happy with it when it wasn't cold out but every winter morning on my drive to work, it would stall at one particular stop sign, and my wife would panic a bit when it happened to her, so i didn't like that.
GotToyota?
Top Notch Member

Post by GotToyota? »

Gonna attempt to tackle this install today if I can. So as far as the vacuum lines go, I can ignore all of them besides the one coming from the distributor and remove all the metal lines or just cap everything?
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

that's correct. you can remove or simply ignore the old metal routing lines. and you don't HAVE to hook up any vac hoses to the weber but i recommend three. they are

- lower vac advance port on the dizzy to the larger port on the passenger side of the weber marked 'vac advance' in the diagram below
- upper vac advance port (the one with the larger hole, if your vac advance unit has 3 ports) to one of the manifold vac ports (found on the intake manifold, of course)
- the purge port of the charcoal can to the smaller EGR port on the passenger side of the weber (any other ports that ran from the charcoal can to the carb can be plugged)

the first two will improve economy while idling and hwy cruising, and the third will keep your car from reeking of gasoline fumes.

also of note is that when i did not have the lower advance can hooked up to the weber, i had a slight hesitation on acceleration. hooked it up, the hesitation disappeared. i don't recall anyone else reporting that though so i don't know why that was but it did improve how it ran.
GotToyota?
Top Notch Member

Post by GotToyota? »

Will do, thanks! I'll post if I have any issues figuring it out.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

I removed the charcoal canister entirely and have noticed no fuel odors.
I did route the canister's return line to the tank down into the hole in the "chassis" where the canister originally drew fresh air; dunno if that made any difference, but it seemed logical...
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
GotToyota?
Top Notch Member

Post by GotToyota? »

Got it all figured out, thanks guys!
terastoria
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 wagon

Post by terastoria »

DLB i just got a 84 terc sr5 and i'm planning on doing this with my tax return in april, do you have the diagram of the vacuum lines you ran? the link in the previous post is broken.

-Travis
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

yeah, in the FAQ i've got several pics of how to hook up those vac lines.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7442