Moonroof / Sunroof Video (removed from car)

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Moonroof / Sunroof Video (removed from car)

Post by xirdneh »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWmQRb5qKoE

took one out to see how it works
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Re: Moonroof / Sunroof Video (removed from car)

Post by Mattel »

Thanks for this xirdneh, I really appreciate it! I think that this sunroof is the same as the one in my Corolla All Trac and my previous Tercel 4wd. The rear of mine is catching on the roof as it retracts on the underside of the roof and is scratching the sunroofs top. Would you have any idea what that might be perhaps I can adjust the shims?
Also, do you know how I could lubricate the mechanism without removal? Did you find any holes that access the cable that I can spray something into?
cheers, Matt
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

i have not tried to re-install one yet.
the factory service manual covers that but it is not the greatest for details
based on what i have seen i would think adjusting the shims would be the way to go
i have a car that has a moonroof that will not open
the motor runs and i can hear what sounds like gears skipping over the cable
i think the cables need lubrication
here is what i plan to try
first remove the motor then
remove the fabric cover
that would expose the bottom side of the roof
next i wound spray paint around the tracking device so i could use that to re-align the thing when i put it back together
that may or may not be necessary
i was going to remove the screws that hold the tracking devices to the roof on one side only
then try to move the tracking device to free it up
then reconnect it and do the other side
depending on how free it became i might spray some kind of lube (would need a thin tube nozzle)
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Thanks for the advice. I found some other information where someone tore down a celica steel roof but can't find it right now but will send through if I can retrieve it. cheers
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms