Fire Extinguisher Install

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
BrownBadger
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 83 4WD Tercel SR5 - The Brown Badger

Fire Extinguisher Install

Post by BrownBadger »

Coming from the land of old VW's, I am used to always carrying a fire extinguisher within easy reach when I am driving. Plus, after some stories of fires around here I decided to try and find a good place to mount my little auto extinguisher that would be both easily accessible and a clean install. What I ended up with was mounting it below the glove box. No drilling required and still leaves plenty of room for your feet. Pretty self explanatory, but how-to is below with photos.
20150207_154449.jpg
Step 1: Remove glove box by removing two screws on bottom hinges. It should look like this when you are done.
20150207_150342.jpg
The extinguisher I have has optional velcro brackets, but if you remove them then it just has some holes down the center for mounting.
20150207_150402.jpg
Step 2: Attach extinguisher bracket to support rail under glove box. It already has holes which happened to line up perfectly with the ones in my bracket. I used some spare hardware I had laying around.
20150207_150349.jpg
20150207_154015.jpg
20150207_154225.jpg
Step 3: Reinstall glove box door by attaching two screws that were removed earlier.
20150207_154409.jpg
20150207_154449.jpg
Plenty of foot room!
20150207_154501.jpg
View from outside.
20150207_154536.jpg
Now to find a black extinguisher.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Fire Extinguisher Install

Post by irowiki »

Just paint it!
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I used to see these on hot rods, sand rails, dune buggies, hot VW bugs, and other street racers, always thought it looked cool when I was in high school (some 40 years ago). of course the old air cooled VWs had a tendency to have engine fires since an fuel leak is trapped in the engine compartments (unlike most other cars, including ours). In collage I would spend time in the engineering library, that had a big section on automotive engineering, and I ran across a DOT study on how owner modifications affected the safety of cars. very scary read, from cheap alloy wheels disintegrating at highway speeds, to internally mounted stereos or speakers, after market steering wheels, etc. severely injuring or killing passengers or drivers in minor collisions.

being that the smaller cars i always liked driving means that enough room to mount a "cool" fire extinguisher was limited, I considered how many times I have seen a car fire (very rare), and what my chances of ever actually needing it in an emergency vs. how many car accidents I have seen (quite a few). I decided to leave it out of my car. If I really needed one I could securely mount it way in the back, away from any passengers and so it will not come loose in a rollover or on a rough road (where it becomes a serious hazard, rather than a safety device). I once even had an engine fire that I put out with some old coveralls. there was no safety issues, I just wanted to limit the damage to the wire bundles and other plastic parts in the engine compartment (it was an over heated wire that shorted out and ignited the plastic wire insulation). Safety was not really a worry, everyone was safely out of the car in short order.

I would recommend you mount it solidly near the rear hatch, away from the passengers. In a bad accident, having it in that location under the glove box could break both your passengers legs. the few seconds of extra time to get it from the back, if you do ever actually need it, will never make a significant difference. But it will almost certainly cause injury in an accident where you have it now.

Just something to consider.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

The installation is clever, to be sure (and the write-up IS impressive!), but - what Petros wrote.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
BrownBadger
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 83 4WD Tercel SR5 - The Brown Badger

Post by BrownBadger »

Good points, which I never really thought about. At least, I didn't think having it there would be any worse than having something on the floor. t never have any passengers though, except for my son who rides in the back. Keeping it in this location it may be best to go with a more secure metal locking mount.