oil pump trouble

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
BlackHawk08

Post by BlackHawk08 »

i have a 1997 Toyota Tercel that was given to me when i got it they said that the oil pump is out but when i started it it ran fine and didnt make any unusual noises but i wanna make sure that its working so does anybody know how to find out if it is pumping oil or not
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

An oil pressure gauge will tell you if the pump is working correctly. The most basic test is whether the oil light goes out when the engine starts. It should come on with the ignition on and go out when the engine is running.
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

mine when warm runs at idle at 30 psi and when pushed hard it reaches 70psi by 3000rpm it gopes all the way to 80 psi
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Buy a mechanical gauge and replace the elect one...sending unit is probably bad?

Just be careful of the nylon tubing..can't get hot and or kinked....you'll find out what oil pressure you actually have...if it's close to accurate.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Can't get hot? And will it be having oil go through it? I'm confused >.<
Whats the pressure supposed to be? Are there any aftermarket high-flow pumps out there for either higher PSI or volume?
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Typrus wrote: Can't get hot?
Keep away from exhaust.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

jus rout it near the brake cylinder and place near the a pillar, its the closest way, i put mine where the inclinometer was
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come
cannondale
My tercel:: 1985 tercel 4wd sr5

Re: oil pump trouble

Post by cannondale »

My tercels oil pressure warning light is on unless it reving high. The oil level is right and this pressure warning makes me think it could blow. Do the fuses or connections or sensors for the warning lights go often? I'm gonna try and check it with a manual gauge if possible. If it needs a new oil pump is that hard to do?
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Probably the sending unit on the block usually near the oil filter?

Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

A warn out oil pump, gummed up pressure relief valve, or really worn bearings will cause the oil light to come on at idle. The sensor either works or it does not in my experience (though I suppose that is possible).

You must find out what the idle pressure is with a mechanical gauge, they do not cost much, get one and install it this weekend. I had an old Toy truck that ran good, but the oil light come on at idle, espcially on hot days. I put a gauge on it and found oil pressure at idle was 0-4 psi (light comes on at about 6-8 psi), but when I reved it jumped up to 24-30psi, so I figured it need bearings but kept driving it anyway since running pressure was okay. I put 40wt oil in it and STP, but it did not help the idle pressure much. I even tried 50wt oil, but that make the pressure even lower. I was building a house then and did not want to take the time to fix it, figured I would rebuild my truck engine after the house was done.

Within a few weeks the driving pressure slowly dropped down lower and lower, and then one day it developed a knock. I was 10 miles from home and continued to drive it very carefully to try and make it home. It was not long before the con rod failed and put a hole through the side of the block. So rather than just replacing the oil pump and bearings I had to replace the engine, and do the rebuild before I finished the house anyway.

If you have low idle pressure and it is not the sensor, you have a major repair to do or you risk the same fate as my truck engine. To replace the pump you have to raise the engine, or lower the cross member enough to remove the pan, and than remove the front pump and oil pick-up. Once the pan is off you can replace the rod bearings from the bottom, despite the amount of work to get to them, they do not cost much (about $20 for rod bearings which are usually the ones that go bad). Once the pump is off you can remove the rear pump cover and clean and inspect the pump gears. If the pump is within spec the problem is just worn out bearings. Pumps are more costly, but if in doubt best replace it too. A used one in good shape from a wrecking yard might be worth considering if you are low on funds.

Either way it is worth fixing now before you destroy the whole engine, with a broken rod you pretty much trash the whole engine, sometimes you can salvage the head if the piston did not damage it when the rod came loose, but I would not count on it.

Good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
cannondale
My tercel:: 1985 tercel 4wd sr5

Post by cannondale »

I checked the oil pressure and it's at 15 psi at idle so it turns out it was the sensor was no good so I replaced that and the light is no longer on. I was told that 15 psi is just okay but not ideal and to keep checking it. Should I be running a slightly higher weight oil or is that not necessary.