Broken Horn

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
smokerx
My tercel:: 1983 SR5 wagon 4WD stock 3A-C Federal

Broken Horn

Post by smokerx »

I just installed a hot wired button for a horn and figured I`d share. I think this looks better and more accessible then the button horn fixes I see in junkyards or sold at auto stores. First off why I need a horn fix:
The two obvious horn contacts just trigger a buzzing sound in the passenger engine bay. I disconnected my battery for a few minutes to stop this. The horn itself had no continuity, so I started by installing an off the shelf generic replacement. Next step was to order a button for $1 from thailand off the web auctions by searching horn button.

I had the plastic shrouds off to fix the hazard light switch. (After popping the switch out there's a metal bb that dislodged from under the spring, simply inserted some lithium grease on the end off the spring to hold the bb in place and clipped the switch plate back in. Sometimes I get a right turn flash and have to jiggle the switch to get both. Originally got nothing)

Here's the horn button installed. The Green/red wire was wired in from where it enters the steering wheel. added a bit of insulated electric wire and a twist on wire connector cap to tie them together, then into the button. There where 2 white black wires in my bundle. One was a larger gauge. The other turned into a solid black wire on the other side on the connector then split into two wires as it entered the steering wheel. The smaller wire that turned into a black wire was the proper horn ground. I removed the insulation a bit at the connector base and tied an aftermarket wire in and re insulated the splice with duct tape to prevent losing the ground for whatever they doubled up on with this ground point in the steering wheel. then into the button with the other end.

There where also two green/red wires. The proper wires are the fifth slot in on the smaller connector. they correspond with one another, White/black turns into black on my connector, it was the smaller gauge white black.

I used a drill bit to drill the hole then enlarged it with a round file. Then remembered I had a step drill bit after the fact.
Here's a pic of a cake.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: Broken Horn

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Clever.
I esp. liked your subtlety with the cake. Bravo!
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Broken Horn

Post by dlb »

ditto on the cake. i like the rainbow layers. looks damn tasty. did you make it?