Removing Head by removing least amount of stuff

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Removing Head by removing least amount of stuff

Post by xirdneh »

Removing Head by removing least amount of items Method
1. Drain Radiator
2. Remove Air Filter Housing (1 wing and 2 10mm)
3. Loosen Alternator and Remove Belt (1 14mm bottom 1 12mm top)
3. Remove Water Pump Pulley (3 10mm)
4. Remove Top Half Timing Belt Cover (6 10mm)
5. Disconnect Accelerator Cable (2 12 mm loosen only)
6. Disconnect Heater Control Cable (snap clip)
7. Disconnect Water Hose (under fuel pump, may have to remove fuel pump to get at it)
8. Disconnect two Fuel Pump Hoses
9. Disconnect Brake Vacuum Hose from Intake Manifold
10. Color code or mark Carb Vacuum hoses that need to be disconnected
11. Disconnect two Green Electrical Plugs (passenger side)
12. Disconnect Yellow Oxygen Sensor Plug (passenger side)
13. Disconnect Dark Brown Electrical Plug at Gas Canister (passenger side firewall)
14. Disconnect Green Electrical Plug to Distributer (driver’s side)
15. Disconnect and Remove Upper Radiator Hose
15. Disconnect fitting for Upper Radiator Hose at front right of head (2 12 or 14mm)
16. Disconnect Exhaust Pipe Clamp at Transmission (under car passenger side, 12mm?)
17. Remove two Nuts at Exhaust Pipe to Exhaust Manifold connection ( 2 14mm nuts)
18. Remove bolt at Exhaust Manifold Support Bracket to block (1 12mm bolt under manifold)
19. Disconnect Wires at front top of engine (temp sensor and reddish sensor next to TVSB)
20. Remove Valve Cover (3 12mm)
21. Rotate engine till first two lobes on cam are down (timing marks on upper and lower pulleys should be lined up)
22. Remove upper Timing Belt Pulley (1 14mm bolt)
23. Remove In reverse Tightening order (per FSM) the Head Bolts (10 12mm will need thin 3/8” extension for ratchet and small 12mm socket) Loosen head bolts in at least two stages.
head bolt removal order, do not totally loosen a bolt in one step (do it in two or three stages)
3 1
5 7
10 9
8 6
2 4

Notes: 1. If you remove fuel pump you will probably have to make two new gaskets for it.
2. Before removing exhaust manifold nuts lube them with some kind of oil. For re-installation you will also need a new gasket ROL EG-24574 or EG24700 or FelPro-23561 ( 1.78 ID x 2.265-2.39 OD )
3. Head must be cleaned off so no grey stuff from head gasket remains. I use a hand body sander that is 16” x 2.5” with 100 or 80 grit sand paper on it. Use it carefully and evenly over entire head flat surface.
4. I used a scraper to remove most of the old head gasket residue from the block. Then I used 400 wet/dry sand paper to work the rest off. Do not take any metal off, just head gasket residue.
5. When reinstalling timing belt and upper pulley loosen bolt on timing belt tensioner. Line up lower timing belt pulley to mark on block and install pulley and belt together aligning with upper mark on first cam cap. Always keep belt tight on driver side. I recommend removing distributer cap just to make sure rotor is pointing NW but you should not have to as long as both timing marks line up and the first two cam lobes are down. As long as crank was not rotated 360 degrees while you had everything apart your timing should be ok when everything is re-installed.
6. I had to install the head by myself and it is a bit too heavy for me to handle with care when setting it down on the block, because so many things are attached to it like distributor, carburetor, intake and exhaust manifold, etc. One slip up and the head gasket could be damaged. I set two 3/4” dia rubber hose sections each about 6” long on front and back of block. Then I set the head on the hoses. Next I moved the front hose as far forward as it would go and still catch the driver side protrusion in the timing belt area. That supported the front of the head keeping it above the block while I grabbed the aft end of the head and lift it up enough to pull the back hose out. While head is suspended above block with my right hand, I carefully slipped the head gasket under the head and onto the block with my free left hand.
7. I recommend using a Toyota Head Gasket 11115 15061 cost is abt $34.00
8. Take care not to install the head gasket upside down (been there, done that).

also see https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10598
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.