swaping to ventilated disks

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

well, its about that time again, autocross season is begining so new brakes are in order, this time because of class regulations i cant use the 4 piston calipers with tacoma rotors i once used so now im installing paseo brakes...

the pic of the calipers....

the pic of the discs, not the ones im going to use but a similar pair, i cross drille them

ill post the pics of the install as soon as i get them
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Do let us know how that goes. I've wanted to do a brake upgrade for a bit. More info for the filing cabinet deep inside my head titled "MONEY NOT HAD" lol
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

some more info....
the calipers you can use are from a tercel 92 - 99 or any paseo
the brake pads i bought are for a paseo and are hawk i dont know the model ill tell you later they are street strip units, they brake really good cold, lines are custm made braided stainles teflon lines, i dont know the mods that have to go in to the calipers them selves but from meassurements( not acurate ones ) i think they are bolt on affairs

post more info soon
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Just curious, but while you are at it, can you just examine the possibility of putting solid disks in the back? I dunno if the Paseo ever came with that, but if you could manufacture a support bracket for the disk, then you could theoretically just steal a Paseo's entire braking system and it would be correctly proportioned (for a Paseo at least) and all that good stuff.

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

Typrus wrote: Just curious, but while you are at it, can you just examine the possibility of putting solid disks in the back? I dunno if the Paseo ever came with that, but if you could manufacture a support bracket for the disk, then you could theoretically just steal a Paseo's entire braking system and it would be correctly proportioned (for a Paseo at least) and all that good stuff.
The Paseo is fwd. It'll have a totally different brake assembly on the back even if it has rear disks (which I'm pretty sure it doesnt). Using an AE86 GTS rear end (and installing the proper 4.1:1 ratio) is absolutely the easiest way to get rear disks in the tercel (and maybe a LSD too).
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Is there anything you can do to beef up the front too? I know its been asked a billion times, but I just raise the question again. Is there a Corolla with longitudinal mounting FWD? Is there ANYTHING that would allow the use of the 4wd while beefing up the front diff for more power? Or would you just have to have custom diff parts cut?

clbolt
Top Notch Member

Post by clbolt »

Yes, you've asked the question before, and it's been answered. There are no production parts to beef up the transmission and front diff in a 4WD Tercel. The transmission design wasn't shared with any other Toyota product, and it probably never occurred to the Toyota design engineers that anyone would want to build a hi-po Tercel.

However, since you have an itch to install a VW TDI in a Tercel, how about using the transmission, center differential, and rear end from an 80's Audi Quattro. That'd give you the proper engine and transmission orientation, with an AWD setup that was much more sophisticated than the Tercel was ever intended to be. The rear end would be tricky, as it would involve narrowing the track and fabricating mounts for the IRS, but the end result would be the trickest 4WD Tercel ever.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Quattros are thinner than Tercs? :blink:
Well, its both the the TDI for excellent mileage and the 4A-GTE for "oomph".
I looked at stealing a Subaru AWD system for a bit, but dunno about that.
How complex was the 80's Quattro system? Hundreds of computers, or just a bunch of spinning metal?

clbolt
Top Notch Member

Post by clbolt »

I didn't say the Quattro was narrower than the Tercel, just the opposite. I believe you'd have to narrow the track to fit the Tercel.

As for complexity, it depends on the year and the model. I believe the original (Coupe GT-style) Quattro used a viscous center diff with a manual lock and no computer control. The later 5000s took more of the control from the driver.

The easiest and cheapest parts car to find would be a mid-80s 4000 Quattro sedan. I'd hate to see one of them cut up for parts, but they're cheap when you find one that needs work.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Wow cool! So the central diff can lock! Just what I want in an AWD system! Thanks! And I know Quattros have a big aftermarket, so I'm sure Limited slips or lockers for the front ans rear could be found.. Again, thanks! RESEARCH TIME!

clbolt
Top Notch Member

Post by clbolt »

One more option, and one you may not have thought of, would be a VW Quattro Syncro wagon. I almost bought one of those last year, but wasn't quite ready to give up the Tercel just yet. I really like the body style on those, and they're rare. The VW lineage would make for a more logical TDI swap at some point.
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

well in the install im not changing the hub, but then again tey are prety similar, tae maun diference is that the paseo one is shorter in height, all the wholes line up nad everything, but the tercel 4wd is a beefier part believe it or not, now the rear conversion is in the works too, im planning on using ae82 rear brakes o(only calipers and disks) and build an adaptor plate to bolt them in its a straight forward task but ill post that when the time comes, just before the turbo, cuz they´ll be needed B)
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

so paseo front rotors and calipers bolt right onto the tercel? all I need is custom lines?

I was thinking of cross drilling my tercel rotors myself, just make a template and have at her with the drill press, is that basically what you did?

as for beefing up the tercel's tranny, your best and cheapest option would be to take apart the tranny and send off all the parts to be shot-peened and/or case hardened, mabey even have them stress-releived too. that will reduce their likeleyhood of breaking.
Tercel 4WD "POWER WAGOON" with 4A-C
aka: "no powa steering tercel, oh oh oh!"
mods: ignition at 10 DBTDC and 90 octane gas.
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

not a template i use a divider table, and a press drill, the ones i had i just sold them but im going for porsche style cross drilling, im buyng them tomorow
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

divider table?

did cross drilling help with brake fade?
Tercel 4WD "POWER WAGOON" with 4A-C
aka: "no powa steering tercel, oh oh oh!"
mods: ignition at 10 DBTDC and 90 octane gas.