Front Strut Shock Replace Video

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Front Strut Shock Replace Video

Post by xirdneh »

Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Sparkey
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel Wagon, 4WD, Automtic, Barto lift in rear, 1" of lift in front with blocks, 1985 SR-5 Seats, 1983 SR-5 Instument Cluster, Headlights, Trailer hitch, set of roof racks, Lots of Spray Paint,

Re: Front Strut Shock Replace Video

Post by Sparkey »

Thanks for the Video I bought the shocks but haven't tried to replace them. The video cleared up a couple questions I had. I think I'm almost ready, Just one more question what kind of oil do people place in the strut tube before dropping in the new Shock?
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

usually strut fluid which is some kind of hydraulic oil
i use auto tranny fluid when i do not have any
i have no idea why the oil is put there
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

When I did my KYB's, I noted that the instructions did not mention putting in any oil, so I called the company. I was told it was not necessary, so I did not use any oil; no probs 7 years later.

As before - great video!
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Sparkey
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel Wagon, 4WD, Automtic, Barto lift in rear, 1" of lift in front with blocks, 1985 SR-5 Seats, 1983 SR-5 Instument Cluster, Headlights, Trailer hitch, set of roof racks, Lots of Spray Paint,

Post by Sparkey »

Thanks again for the Help
84sr54wd
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1984 sr5 4wd

Post by 84sr54wd »

That is a great video but I tell you what, I love how it goes great when someone does a you tube vid. I've done tons of struts and front end work in the past and am no stranger to this type of thing....but that octagonal nut on mine was so tight that I had to muscle it every which way but loose to get it off the top of the tower. I was begining to wonder if it ever was going to come off. I even bought a 2" socket to go on and lightly put the impact to it...that just rounded off all of the corners of the nut. I finally got it off with a monkey wrench and muscling it to no end. In the vid, his monkey wrench like I had and he didnt even have to use one ounce of muscle. That strut he pulled out was a replacement too...mine was different and the OEM from '84. That nut had never been off. Then once he got that nut off, he just pulled that strut right out. Mine....I almost had to clamp the strut rod in a vise and hook the strut itself to a chain hooked to my trailer hitch on the Jeep and yank it off. That vid is exactly what you do, however, if you are dealing with '84 struts that have never been apart...you might be in for some work.
Ridlbox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 Toyota Tercel SR 5 custom aluminum rims 4 a motor custom rims Bluetooth stereo system

Post by Ridlbox »

The oil is to prevent rust and corrosion later on in the life of the car
i will find a tercel in a music video
That's my new goal 8)
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

I was told once that the oil helps cool the cartridge. These cars being such high performance and such...
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

marlinh wrote:I was told once that the oil helps cool the cartridge. These cars being such high performance and such...
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member

Post by xirdneh »

84sr54wd wrote:

That is a great video but I tell you what, I love how it goes great when someone does a you tube vid. I've done tons of struts and front end work in the past and am no stranger to this type of thing....but that octagonal nut on mine was so tight that I had to muscle it every which way but loose to get it off the top of the tower. I was begining to wonder if it ever was going to come off. I even bought a 2" socket to go on and lightly put the impact to it...that just rounded off all of the corners of the nut. I finally got it off with a monkey wrench and muscling it to no end. In the vid, his monkey wrench like I had and he didnt even have to use one ounce of muscle. That strut he pulled out was a replacement too...mine was different and the OEM from '84. That nut had never been off. Then once he got that nut off, he just pulled that strut right out. Mine....I almost had to clamp the strut rod in a vise and hook the strut itself to a chain hooked to my trailer hitch on the Jeep and yank it off. That vid is exactly what you do, however, if you are dealing with '84 struts that have never been apart...you might be in for some work.
applying heat around the top where the threads are might help too.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

84sr54wd wrote:

to remove the octagonal nut, i go straight to a big pipe wrench with a big cheater pipe on the handle. still have to lean into it but it hangs on and doesn't round the corners.