Rear Differential Pinion Seal Replacement Video

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Rear Differential Pinion Seal Replacement Video

Post by xirdneh »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAhzyGDK3Z0
also made this one which i believe is better
https://youtu.be/z_eGBPxU5Jk
DISCLAIMER
This method works for me because I do not use 4WD unless it snows and that does not happens very often where I live. I have done this several times over the last 14 years without any future problems, BUT If you use 4WD quite often I would not recommend replacing the seal unless you reset the differential to Factory tolerances per FSM (factory service manual), see the section on setting the gear lash etc.
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Re: Rear Differential Pinion Seal Replacement Video

Post by xirdneh »

the pinion shaft has two angular bearings (forward and aft) that require a small amount of tightness and zero play when pinion nut is tightend to the correct pre-load. Pre-load is the amount of torque (inch/pounds) it takes to rotate all of the gears in the differential (removed from car or left in car with axles removed).
there is a sleeve (spacer) between the two bearings that collapses when compressed (by tightening the nut). if it squished too much the bearing will be too tight (pre-load over 9.6 in/lbs) and could cause the bearings to overheat and fail. If pre-load is over 9.6 in/lbs the sleeve has to be replaced.
in my second video i am trying to get things back to the way they were without replacing the sleeve or bearing.
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Re: Rear Differential Pinion Seal Replacement Video

Post by Mattel »

Thank you for making these Videos Xirdneh
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms