The collection begins?

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 with snow plow,1987 auto 1984 parts car,1987 FX-16 GTS

Re: The collection begins?

Post by Gottolovem »

The goal is to have the same rolling diameter with less tire height.
Skinny tires handle better.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

There's two "local" places within a six hour drive that have rear window glass, one has a standard defroster and one has a heavy duty defroster :D Will call them in the morning.

Edit: oddly enough "non heated" wagon rear windows existed... maybe for south texas and florida?
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gottolovem »

Standard or heavy duty? News to me
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Yup, 100 watt vs 150 or something. I researched when I was considering replacing Pokey's rear window.

The heavy duty ones pop up more in cold areas.
Last edited by irowiki on Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

the wheels on this one are stock sr5 alloys for the 87/88's. they're 13". i agree with the popular opinion here that the taller wheel/shorter tire sidewall lends itself to firmer handling.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Going from the photos I think the car would be worth putting back on the road. I think if you have been enjoying the 2wd auto you are going to love the manual 4wd. I would take the carpets and seats out and give them a thorough scrub like Petros recommended. I would however look at keeping the seats. The SR5 Seats are probably the the most comfy seats I've had. They are pretty firm at first but hold really well and are good for long drives. I would follow DLB's post on how to remove the covers from the seat frame on the front two and then wash them. Replace the fabric in the worn parts. scrub out the interior. carefully prise off the inside of the doors, grease everything up or use graphite on the window runners. In the meantime start looking for a/ the correct year gearbox b/ the '85 and later gearbox and front and rear diffs (if you have no luck with the correct year.
The sunroofs do get pretty rusty. it's worth spending a bit of time rubbing back the rust and using a modern treatment on it. I've been able to keep both my cars with sunroofs still working but doing this and routinely oiling the runers with spray lubricant. I think if you tape them up they will rust out more as the water will not dry properly. The rubber seals would be hard to come by. I would seek to restore the one on there if poss. Good luck. I think that is a good car just waiting to get out!. I think those wheels maybe 14"? they had them in Australia for a while
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gottolovem »

6 hr LOCAL is that round trip or one way?

100 vs 150 i learn something new everyday this forum is great!
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

I actually have a spare set of sr5 seats, half cleaned.

My current auto is actually a 4wd! The 2wd is still out of action.

I'm getting pretty excited but man, too many projects. I need to get the 87 FWD up and running.

Dan: 250 miles to get a window is more local than the west coast!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gottolovem »

True

You can swap out that motor in 2 days without to much trouble even one day if you really attack it.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

The problem is the garage is inaccessible because there's a swingset in two huge boxes I need to put up for the baby :lol:

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Gottolovem
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gottolovem »

Maby there is a hatch attached to the rear window :lol:
Vienna
Advanced Member

Post by Vienna »

She's home!

irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Got her home.

Swapped the tire, took a while to get the old one off.

Transmission appears stuck in gear. Had to keep the clutch in the whole way!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

irowiki wrote:Transmission appears stuck in gear. Had to keep the clutch in the whole way!
i wonder if it's the same issue that xirdneh has run into a few times. would be awesome if it was an easy fix. body looks great in the above pic.

how much snow do you normally get in NM? i would have guessed zero!
Vienna
Advanced Member

Post by Vienna »

We had quite the epic trip home. I was driving pokey and the towed bugger was being driven by Paul so we had our phones on speaker mode to communicate. We were going down a rather steep hill and the tow cable slipped under the towed car's tire and SNAPPED as we were just about to turn at a lighted intersection. Thankfully a bunch of guys where were also at the lights jumped out to help push the dead car into the well placed gas station's parking area while I looped back to see what had happened. At the time all I knew was I felt a big SNAP and the pull from the car wasn't there anymore. I looked in my rearview and saw the parted tow cable and Paul trying to get her out of the road. Luckily there was enough rope left that we re-tied the rope and finished our trip.

This is the only snow we've had, it covered most of the ground then just as quickly disappeared. The only remaining snow is from shaded areas or where it was piled from shoveling. This is my first winter here but Paul has mentioned there's usually a few dustings but never anything accumulative.