Shiny!

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

Typrus wrote: I cleaned the head on my Geo.... NOWHERE near as shiny... More of a dull grey. Felt and looked otherwise like aluminum.
The Suzuki/Geo heads and blocks are both aluminum.
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

Does anyone know how competent the Awesome degreaser is? I can find that stuff cheaper than Simple Green; they sometimes have it a the 99 cents store. It says to use it concentrated when cleaning engines. It comes in a spray bottle and a refill bottle and looks a little yellow.
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
dcn
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 4WD SR5 Wagon

Post by dcn »

Sorry to bring this one back from the dead, but Typrus, or someone who knows 4ACs, are they really 70HP? That's the only number I found on Google. It must feel like a big jump in power.. Very appealing, but I don't know if it'd be as reliable as the 3A tho.

I guess 8HP extra percentage-wise is a pretty big jump in power! Also, I think according to the UK brochure here, the Euro Tercels have like 70HP/79 Torque with the same compression/displacement. That'd be nice..

I sure could use some extra horsies!
Metallic Blue '87 4WD SR5
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

dcn wrote: Sorry to bring this one back from the dead, but Typrus, or someone who knows 4ACs, are they really 70HP? That's the only number I found on Google. It must feel like a big jump in power.. Very appealing, but I don't know if it'd be as reliable as the 3A tho.

I guess 8HP extra percentage-wise is a pretty big jump in power! Also, I think according to the UK brochure here, the Euro Tercels have like 70HP/79 Torque with the same compression/displacement. That'd be nice..

I sure could use some extra horsies!
From what I have heard, the jump in hp between the 3AC and 4AC is not really that noticable. They are actually exactly the same engine, except the bore on the 4AC allows for 100cc more displacement. So the 4AC is just as reliable as the 3AC. It's only worth putting in a 4AC if you need to replace your 3AC anyhow.

The best way to get the extra power is to have your engine well maintained and tuned. Advance the timing about 5 degrees and put in higher octane fuel if you want some easy to get power. The single best thing you could do to your engine though (other than maintenance) is to install a Weber 32/36 DGEV. Really makes a huge difference to the driveability and power of the engine.

The 3AC engines in europe have higher compression, which accounts for their higher power. They may have a better OEM cam + carb too, but I'm not sure.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
dcn
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 4WD SR5 Wagon

Post by dcn »

That's exactly the type of response I was looking for, thanks GTS! My car actually does work about as good as it can, I'd say. Lately it seems as 'powerful' as ever. The MPG is down slightly though. When we replaced the clutch in the spring and were putting the motor back in, my uncle was helping to maneuver the engine and pushed on the little plastic black thing on top with all the vacuum hosesand snapped it off. We put a replacement in in that doesn't seem to be the same. When Dad and my brother were out to Calgary in the summer they bought like 7 of 'em from the junk yard out there. Hopefully one of them will work.
Metallic Blue '87 4WD SR5