-- 1987 4wd Tercel --

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
jetswim
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD Wagon

Post by jetswim »

Hey all! I found this at a junkyard sitting there for almost a year and decided to put it on the road. (my digi-cam is low budget, sorry)I just put air in the tires and a fresh battery and drove it out of the mud. It was involved in a side swipe so there was some damage to the right side. (that's my VW camper in the background.)
The front fender's a little bent (nothing serious) and the door has a small crimp in it so I replaced it with a rust free door from the junkyard. The right rear fender has a minor dent too.
The left side is almost perfect.
it's got 280,000 kms on it, 6spd, and drives like a dream. NEEDS A TUNE-UP though. The transmission shifts really nice and the engine has lot's of pep.
Tomorrow i have to remove the bumper to straighten the right front rebar.Image
More pics and info soon. (hopefully with a better cam)
Current rides: 1987 SR5 4WD wagon, 1989 xtra cab pickup 22RE 5spd 4X4
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

really nice condition
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

Definitely a nice find! I like it when people take perfectly good cars that were doomed to the crusher and save them.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

Nice car and nice VW bus as well!
Eatpants
Advanced Member

Post by Eatpants »

i almost bought a camper bus that looked exactly like that in sanfrancisco. but it was too much money for a collapsing piece of shit
xaserII

Post by xaserII »

good luck with the bumper. its a pain.
well ive completley ripped the rear bumper off to try to replace it with something i can chain to and i have had nothing but problems.
first the rear bumper consists of a rubber shell that is bolted on so were you cant get a wrench and you end up cutting it off with a drywall knife, then you get to the foam that pretty much falls off and your left with this metal square ugly peice of sh*t that is impossible to remove less a cutting tourch or grinding wheel. and even then it is a pain because the welds are so close to the body that it is nearly impossible to get to.
(((Is there an easy way to get the backbone of the rear bumper off the car without having to cut it off with a grinding wheel, torch?)))
I thought that the backbone would be bolted on and easyily removed but i was dead wrong. any suggestions would be appreciated.
just did a tune up and found that after replacing plugs, wires, rotor, air cleaner, and adjusting the idle, i have a pretty nice car to take into the hills and beat into submission.
i got a deal on 4x 185 80 13s for 206.00 bucks new. the tread looks pretty good semi aggressive yet i would have liked something with a bit more bite for the steep stuff.
oh its an 83 terc 4wd with 183 grand...
x
clbolt
Top Notch Member

Post by clbolt »

Lift the carpet up in the cargo area of the car. On either side, there are 2 rubber or plastic plugs. Pop those out and remove the bolts with a 17mm socket. The bumper rebar comes right off.
xaserII

Post by xaserII »

You are a saint!
great advice thank you!!!
pics coming
x
xaserII

Post by xaserII »

great. the old bumper came off like a charm. thanks for the info.
im going to cut the old brackets off and re use them on a 3 inch tubular bumper. it should give the car a meaner look and will alow me to rip stumps out of the ground etc...
hmmmm i should be able to weld to those brackets yes?
thanks again
x
jetswim
Top Notch Member

Post by jetswim »

jetswim
Top Notch Member

Post by jetswim »

jetswim
Top Notch Member

Post by jetswim »

xaserII

Post by xaserII »

hey jet your interior is great. i would have a field day with that car for parts for mine. the motor looks pretty bad though. there is rust on just about every piece of metal under that hood. that is not good. does it run?
i guess the inclinometer was extra? i thought it came with the sr5s... the body is really good and the interior is fab. i would definatly drop a new motor in that puppy and check for wear on all the drivetrain components as well as tie rod ends and rubber stuff. thats a shit load of miles...
all in all the car gives me a 3/4 chub.
nice find.
x
jetswim
Top Notch Member

Post by jetswim »

Actually the motor is pretty good. The spark plugs are a nice tan colour and no oil so the rings must be doing there job. It also shifts really easy
into 4wd and back out. Clutch seems sure and true. This car was taken care of as it was oiled underneath. Actually that's 271,000 Kilometers not miles
although it's still a lot I guess. The engine looks worse than it is because it was sitting in a junkyard for awhile.
It does need a gas tank, a small exhaust patch-up and a tune-up though.