Newbie on board (new pics on page2)

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
egillgu
My tercel:: 1986 4WD Wagon

Re: Newbie on board (new pics on page2)

Post by egillgu »

Those are some very tasty looking Germans (did that come out right?) Especially like the front bumpers with the fog lights.

During the 80's and early 90's, those running boards were really popular over here on Toyotas, subarus etc. Maybe it had something to do with the fact we had very few km of tarmac back then. The grill looks factory made.

News from tonights mission. One spark plug must have had a very weak spark since the electrode and ground were mashed up against each other. Got some pliers and bent it in shape, turned the car on and it ran very nicely. Albeit a little bit rough but I'm guessing these spark plugs have seen their day. Going to swap them out on monday and not drive the car untill then (just in case if I weakened the metal in that faulty one)

Noticed I don't have the EGR valve fitted. Not sure if it's been pulled out our it just came like that. Either way I don't miss it :-) Might need to do a carb job since my float does not sit in the right place.

Here is a link to a thread about Tercels on an Icelandic car club website: http://www.live2cruize.com/spjall/showt ... E1%F0urinn

What a great find your website has been. I just knew there had to be more Tercel nutters out there!!
Last edited by egillgu on Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
egillgu

Re: Newbie on board

Post by egillgu »

Just for fun. This is my neighbours fully restored 1984. Absolutely mint! He also has 4x 4wd ones and is going to help me a little with parts.

dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

i saw pictures of at least one forum member's terc in your link. it's the orange terc with a big silver hood ornament. it belongs to simon84 and he's still driving it.

yes, you need a feeler gauge to correctly gap spark plugs. as long as the plugs are light brown like chocolate milk and the electrodes are not rounded or melted, they should be fine.

if your fuel level is not between the two points of the window, you either need to bend the arm for the float, or replace the float altogether. the float could be too high if the arm it sits on is not set correctly, in which case you just need to bend the arm to the correct setting. alternatively, the float might be fuel-logged and sinking, causing a lot float bowl level. that might explain why your car runs rough after gunning it. if that's the case, you will need to replace the float.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

the level could be too high also because the needle valve is shot and not sealing off. That usually makes it run rich and crappy, poor economy, blackish smoke out the exhaust. The top of the carb has to come off in any case to fix any float bowl level issues. If there is crud caught in the needle valve sometimes you can carefully blow it out, but that risks other problems, so best to carefully remove the top of the carb (watch out for the small parts!).

good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
egillgu

Post by egillgu »

Thanks for the advice. Turned out that one spark plug was at fault. Now runs great.

I've put the paint job on hold so I can enjoy the car this summer. Still getting all the mechanical stuff up to scratch. New shocks, bushings etc...

Went on a hike today and took a few pics of the Tercel on some mountain roads near mt. Hekla:

fffutr
My tercel:: '87 Tercel 4WD

Post by fffutr »

egillgu wrote:Lol thanks for the warning!

I've started going over the Tercel this weekend. Changed almost everything in the drum brakes. Those were pretty much shot. Got it to run a little better by changing the fuel filter but there is still a little "putt-putt" to the engine I don't like. I have to check the fuel pump for dirt and pull the plugs to see what they look like. It's running on all fours tho.

Don't have the thingies to measure the valve gaps (don't know what you call them) but the valves are chatting a bit. Planning on doing a search for vaccum leaks this evening.

A quick pic. Just had to put the skis there to try the rack out :-)
Flottur! Áttu hann ennþá? Ég var að versla mér '87 Tercel sjálfur og að stíga mín fyrstu spor í 80's fjórhjóladrifi =)