Amazed my account is still active...

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
MR2Di4
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 4WD Wagon

Amazed my account is still active...

Post by MR2Di4 »

As a younger man I had an '86 4WD Auto and several fond memories of it. Apparently, I made a few posts here back in 2006-07 but forgot about this forum until this weekend. I acquired an '85 4WD SR5 wagon just yesterday and my quest for information led me back here. I was surprised to find when I tried to register that I had already made an account and that it was still active. These days I'm a little bit older and while the years certainly have been good to me they haven't been kind to my resurrected find.

Poor thing was sitting in the bushes at an elderly couple's house for about three years. When I asked about it after finishing some phone repairs the old guy said if I wanted it he would sign it over to me on the spot. I told him I would think about it and kept it in the back of my mind. Two weeks later, after selling off a different car, I was looking for a new project and I stopped by with some jumper cables to see what kind of shape it was really in. To my surprise, after about 10 minutes of charging the car cranked over, sputtered once then started right up on all 4 cylinders. The owner was as amazed as I was to hear it run and actually move out of the bushes under it's own power. I left to do some errands but came back a few hours later, aired up the tires, added some water to the radiator and some fresh gas w/ SeaFoam to the tank and let it warm up while verifying the alternator was still working. They had already dug out the title and before I knew it I was creeping down the driveway in it. Drove it about 7 miles to my garage with rust slaking off the brakes and body and began to survey my newly un-dead Tercel.

Today I spent the morning changing the oil, replacing the fuel filter and attempting to free up the sticky brakes. While the rear drums were rusted on I was able to rap them enough with a hammer to get the scaled stuff inside to flake off and allow the rear tires to spin freely. The front was a little more disappointing as it had apparently had new pads shortly before it was parked, which gave me little play to try and free up the sticking cylinders into working again. Any application of the brakes causes them to hang and severely bog the already tired engine of 208,000+ miles, not to mention filling the air with the aroma of toasted brakes on rusty rotors. But that's the easy fix. The more difficult problem lies in the rear axle rusting to where one of the sway bar mounts and the body-to-axle crossbar's body mounts are eaten away. Amazingly, the car tracks straight, but clearly I won't be winning any cornering competitions. The motor ran well enough and didn't smoke but felt congested so I went back to basics and checked for vacuum leaks, sprayed in some carb cleaner and broke out the SeaFoam again and let the brake vacuum line suck up the stuff and work it's magic while I ate dinner. The immense cloud afterward lasted for at least 15 minutes, even as I pulled out onto the highway to keep my neighbors from calling the fire department. Actually I think I fogged the road for at least 3 miles before it finally cleared out, leaving the engine a lot more responsive and running smoother. The whole day I was riding a wave of nostalgia as it seemed every bit of maintenance I did was second nature. I grabbed the correct size wrenches for every bolt, knew where everything was and even fixed a few issues I remember having with my old Tercel, many years before. (eg. window track on driver's door.) Can't guarantee how long this one will last, but the ride will be fun...

MR2Di4 8)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Amazed my account is still active...

Post by dlb »

great story. welcome, mr2di4. i've had a few tercs with the panhard arm broken off of the rear axle. they're driveable but it's dangerous, especially at highway speeds and on washboard. my current project terc will need to have it welded back on.

we don't have a lot of members up north where you are but there are a few. you guys will have to have a northern contingent meet some day.

how do you like the standard trans vs. the automatic?
MR2Di4
Advanced Member

Post by MR2Di4 »

I think I have a fix for the Panhard bar, using some heavy duty brackets from work but I need to cut away the remains of the old sheetmetal mount first. The axle side mount needs some reinforcement metal welded on as well.

I can't imagine how but it would appear that a previous owner used it for towing and launching a boat because the really bad sections are all at the back and I ripped out some defunct trailer light wiring that was dangling. The diff looked like it had been leaking so I checked it and added about half a quart of lube to get it back up to the inspection hole. I also worked the rear drums off and while the shoes look nearly new, sadly the axle bearings are shot...

Couldn't tell you yet if I like the manual over the auto since I'm waiting to get the brakes fixed so the poor clutch isn't having to fight them, but I'm excited for winter to come so I can try out the EL gear!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

welcome back!

Since you have to replace the brake parts (sounds like you need new calipers), you might as well up grade the brakes. I have outline a procedure for installing 25 mm vented front rotors and calipers, rather than the 11mm unvented rotors, here:

https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4998

Also, it has been my observation with the 9 non-running Tercels that I have rescued that when cars sit for a long time for some reason the thermostat goes bad, so it would be a good idea to replace the thermostat as well, when you flush and replace the coolant.

Post some pictures! Good luck
MR2Di4
Advanced Member

Post by MR2Di4 »

Thanks Petros, but I've already got the replacement calipers ordered and my better half would kill me if I put new rotors on my rusty beater before I fixed the ones on her car. However, the option is tempting; maybe I'll do it if the rotors have problems once I get my T4D driving. Combined with replacing the rear bearings and now needing a new alternator I've got plenty of work to do.

For now the thermostat and cooling system seem to be working fine but I'll keep it in mind to change it if I have problems. Will try and get some pics up soon...
Neu
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 No Mods

Post by Neu »

As long as you made a few posts I wouldn't delete ya. :)
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

The better calipers and vented rotors cost about the same as the stock ones, only a few $ more each. I waited until my brakes needed to be replaced and swapped everything over at the same time. it was a relatively easy bolt on up grade, and made a very large difference. Around here on the many steep mountain roads I would warp one rotor a year on average, and that was knowing the brakes were too flimsy. Not a single brake problem since the brake up grade, and it has way more stopping power too, even good when engine is off (no vacuum to the booster).