Hi guys, another one in Flathead MT.

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
sr5luv
My tercel:: 1983 4wd sr5, 1985 4wd sr5,

Hi guys, another one in Flathead MT.

Post by sr5luv »

Hi guys, i live in whitefish MT, and i figured id finally get an account.
I have two t4wd's the first and only operable one is a 1983 Sr5. it only has some minor modifications. Including custom exhaust with no cat. and a blocked EGR. And NGK plugs. no power steering, no a/c = great mpg.
Images.
oh yeah, lotsa rust baby.
Images
didnt come with a inclinometer :(
Got another one thats in the process of becoming operable. A 1985 Sr5, needs an exhaust and battery.
heres how she sits now.
seems to have been in a crash, :/
And the tranny is bad, and thanks to the how to on removal i found out why.
i think there's a small hole. and there are lots more on the bottom. so now im looking for a replacement. what years are compatible? do i need a 4wd?

I figured I'd add my other car, She's a 1988 200sx, with a list of modifications to long to list. Tons of fun, and zippy. :) Check out my profile on Club-s12.org "myREDcarMAN"
Last edited by sr5luv on Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Hi guys, another one in Flathead MT.

Post by Petros »

welcome to the list!

Any 4wd or 2wd '83-86 Tercel bellhousing/front diff assembly can be bolted on to your 4wd trans, but you have to make sure the ring and pinon ratio are the same. The '85 and newer used the 4.1:1 ring and pinion in the 4wd Tercel, not sure about the 2wd models.

I happen to have a front diff/bell housing assembly that should be good that is from an '85 2wd Tercel you are welcome to. But I do not know the diff ratio in it. Perhaps another list member know if the 2wd 5 speed Tercel used the same diff ratio.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
sr5luv

Post by sr5luv »

So I'd just need on 85 and up. With that assembly you have, (assuming the ratios are the same), could I just bolt it in and go? I just wanna get this thing moving, and for as cheap as possible. my sister is going to need a car soon. So I'm not to worried about the whole 4WD> 2WD.....
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

the first four pics aren't showing up for me. i can see your wrecked diff and nice 200sx though.

no matter what year of tercel you pull a diff from, it's important to check that it is in fact the right gear ratio because if it's not, it will bind and wreck either the diff or trans in short order. i can't remember how to check but if you use the search function for it here, you should find it. i believe it was tercel4wdrules who explained it.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

Yes, the front diff/bell housing assembly can just be bolted up the the front of the trans, and it will go (but if you want to use the 4wd, you will need the same front and rear diff ratio).

But first you want to split your case from the bell housing and verify your input shaft is still in working condition. If the main gear cluster or main shaft was damaged when your diff blew, than you will need a whole new transmission unfortunately.

Spliting the case is easy, there are 14 or so 12mm bolts and nuts you remove and the bellhousing/diff assy will split off the main transmission housing. Open it up and lets have a look.

the front diff is driven though a spline sleeve that is pressed onto the front of the trans main shaft, when you pull it apart the spline just slides off the diff input shaft. If the main trans is ruined because of the damage to the diff, you will see it right there.
sr5luv

Post by sr5luv »

dlb wrote:the first four pics aren't showing up for me. i can see your wrecked diff and nice 200sx though.
howbout now?
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

sr5luv wrote:
dlb wrote:the first four pics aren't showing up for me. i can see your wrecked diff and nice 200sx though.
howbout now?
nope, not yet!
sr5luv

Post by sr5luv »

Well, ill hafta open her up and see. when we got her, she would run as a RWD when in 4wd. but then the rear wheels gave out too right in the driveway.
as for the pictures i can see them, but ill try running them through Fbook like the others.

How bout now?
GLet71
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 6-spd SR5 4wd Wagon

Post by GLet71 »

Yup, they're workin' now sr5luv, holy roof rack!
Currently:
Majorette France Tercel 4WD - Fini
Formerly:
'87 6spd SR5 4WD modified Wagon (Ron, the post-apocalyptic summer ride)
'87 6spd dlx 4wd Wagon (Pinkman Got Nuthin', aka Pinky)
'87 Auto dlx 4WD Wagon (Otto, temporary parts car)
'88 6spd SR5 4WD Wagon (Perry, the parts car)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

now they're working!

man, that's a shame that someone took the inclinometer. i don't know why they'd leave the mount though. you can find them without the mount on ebay for about $50.

the body on the project terc looks really good with the exception of that one door. easy enough to find a matching door and throw it on.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

all the pics show now.

It looks like someone set off a grenade in the front diff. If both the FWD and RWD systems are failed, likely the whole trans is a gonner. Since the '83 is so rusty, you could use it as a parts car and use it to build one good one out of the '85. You can swap the '83 transaxle into the '85, but you will also have to swap the rear diff assembly too (some people swap the whole axles assembly, either is about an hour or so of work). This way you will have the same diff ratio, the '83/84 has 3.73:1 front and rear, and the '85 and newer uses 4.1:1, DO NOT RUN DIFFERENT front and rear diff ratios!!!

If you want to hunt for a whole new transaxle make sure it came out of an '85 or newer Tercel4wd to get the same diff ratio. The engine is so underpowered the 4.1:1 diff ratio is better for hilly driving, but the 3.73:1 is better for hwy driving since the engine runs about 300 rpm lower and it is noticably more quiet. Fuel economy appears to be about the same, maybe 1 mpg better with the 3.73:1. I have owned and ran both, with my power tweaked engine the 3.73 is not so bad, but I want to switch to the 4.1:1 for my 4age engine swap.
sr5luv

Post by sr5luv »

I have another that came on the copper and black one that i took off cuz it was so long. it stuck out so far you would hit your head on it. i may trim it up and put it back on someday.

Cant really use the 83 as a parts car, shes a DD. :( plus shes in overall better shape. and bout 100,000 less miles. :P
\

Might hafta get a set of diffs/trans from a 84 and older, cuz i do a lot off hwy driving and i like the way she feels.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

You would want the '85 and later 4.1:1 diff ratio for off hwy driving, way better for rough terrain. the 83-84 3.73:1 is better for hwy travel.
sr5luv

Post by sr5luv »

well, I'm purty sure im going to need a full transmission/front diff. And my dad said that if I'm going to fix this for my sister he wants it done right. so I'm going to be looking for a 4wd transmission. If you guys know of one, let me know. Thanks :)
copenhagenfiend
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1986 SR5 4WD

Post by copenhagenfiend »

Knew you'd be here sooner or later! Badass to see another T4 from the valley here. WELCOME!

strange coincidence - your Nissan always used to sit in front of my old house on Beth...
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3921818/1986-toyota-

*1986 Toyota Tercel SR5* again!
1999 Toyota 4Runner SR5
1990 Jeep Wrangler

http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u11/ ... cel%204WD/