Tercel Camping

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
emmahumpfritter
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 tercel 4wd

Tercel Camping

Post by emmahumpfritter »

A week ago I headed up to Lake Superior, deep into some sandy trails that ended up in a beautiful spot only 4wd will get you.
Selkie is becoming a good driver :)
This is the most vivid rainbow I've ever seen in person.Image
I actually got stuck in the sand (I just HAD to park on the edge) Lucky for me a couple of guys showed up in a Tacoma to help me out.Image

Have a good day everyone :)
260K with no end in sight....
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: Tercel Camping

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Good - Thanks!
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
deejay1272
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Navy Blue Tercel Wagon SR5 4x4 now with Weber 32/36!

Post by deejay1272 »

Your dog looks like it's havin' a good old time...
---------------------------------------------------------
Beefsteak when I'm hungry, whiskey when I'm dry
Greenbacks when I'm hard up, heaven when I die
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Been up along there...still a lot of places where you can get out to the water...but you gotta watch that sand though. And the bugs. One year I was at one place on the beach where the flies were so bad I had to leave....could only get away by getting out into the water....but my dog wouldn't come out and was getting driven crazy by them....it was a rout.

Getting more and more crowded up there though....only a matter of time before things start getting shut down? Knew of a place on that lake where you could camp for a week...no bugs...no people...then they stopped the overnight stuff. I use a gps to drive the back trails and go thru some pretty isolated areas. You will notice some fuzzy undercover types trying to seem not to be what they are as usual....espec in lower MI...I've had them track me across the state...county to county. Some of the NFs are pretty much closed down in that you can't find places to get off the roads to camp....soon coming to a forest near you.

It's all for a good cause though...we are ALL terrorists and must be kept track of at all costs.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

yes, too bad. We recently went camping in Mt. Rainer National Park. Had to pay $15 to get in the Park, $15 a night to camp in camp grounds that do not even have enough toilets and no showers, have to pay $45 for a climbing pass to go up on the mountain or into any high country in the Park, and pay $15 a night for a backcountry camping permit even if you do not stay in any of the Parking lot camp grounds, and only intend to pack into the back country. Costs too much? Federal forest and BLM land is not free anymore either; now you also have to buy Forest service "access" permits, BLM parking permits, or state forest passes even if you stay out of the parks. These btw, are yearly passes you must buy even if you just go hiking once or twice a year. It you intend to fish or hunt, than the prices really go up. It used to be considered "public lands", I guess not anymore.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
deejay1272
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Navy Blue Tercel Wagon SR5 4x4 now with Weber 32/36!

Post by deejay1272 »

Petros wrote:yes, too bad. We recently went camping in Mt. Rainer National Park. Had to pay $15 to get in the Park, $15 a night to camp in camp grounds that do not even have enough toilets and no showers, have to pay $45 for a climbing pass to go up on the mountain or into any high country in the Park, and pay $15 a night for a backcountry camping permit even if you do not stay in any of the Parking lot camp grounds, and only intend to pack into the back country. Costs too much? Federal forest and BLM land is not free anymore either; now you also have to buy Forest service "access" permits, BLM parking permits, or state forest passes even if you stay out of the parks. These btw, are yearly passes you must buy even if you just go hiking once or twice a year. It you intend to fish or hunt, than the prices really go up. It used to be considered "public lands", I guess not anymore.
I bet this is a reflection of the way that the BLM, NFS, NPS are being funded by the Federal Government. Who can apply public funds towards things the public actually uses when we've agreed to engage in two unfunded wars and raise entitlement spending (Medicare drug benefits) without tax revenue to support?

I'd love to wipe the Congressional slate completely clean and start again with some people that aren't afraid to show some leadership and make difficult decisions. At the moment, we're lead by a bunch of people who are beholden to special interests and who only care about reelection.

God Bless America!
---------------------------------------------------------
Beefsteak when I'm hungry, whiskey when I'm dry
Greenbacks when I'm hard up, heaven when I die
Neu
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 No Mods

Post by Neu »

Petros wrote:yes, too bad. We recently went camping in Mt. Rainer National Park. Had to pay $15 to get in the Park, $15 a night to camp in camp grounds that do not even have enough toilets and no showers, have to pay $45 for a climbing pass to go up on the mountain or into any high country in the Park, and pay $15 a night for a backcountry camping permit even if you do not stay in any of the Parking lot camp grounds, and only intend to pack into the back country. Costs too much? Federal forest and BLM land is not free anymore either; now you also have to buy Forest service "access" permits, BLM parking permits, or state forest passes even if you stay out of the parks. These btw, are yearly passes you must buy even if you just go hiking once or twice a year. It you intend to fish or hunt, than the prices really go up. It used to be considered "public lands", I guess not anymore.
This is one reason I love Oregon, we have so much public land that's ACTUALLY public. Do 20 minutes of research before you leave and you can find tons of campgrounds that are free around here.
arbskynxnex
Top Notch Member

Post by arbskynxnex »

Petros wrote:Costs too much? Federal forest and BLM land is not free anymore either; now you also have to buy Forest service "access" permits, BLM parking permits, or state forest passes even if you stay out of the parks. These btw, are yearly passes you must buy even if you just go hiking once or twice a year. It you intend to fish or hunt, than the prices really go up. It used to be considered "public lands", I guess not anymore.
There is a work around for the Forest Service lands, park a little ways away from the trailhead, it used to be 1/4 mile, but I don't remember for sure anymore, and you don't need a pass, also dispersed camping is free on forest lands. OR you can make friends with a cripple (or become one, but that is overrated, trust me) since they can get a free permanent access pass that provides half off admission to parks, half off camping and some other things and free parking at trailheads. It is by far the best benefit I've encountered for being crippled, I use mine a lot.
Pandas: Eats, shoots and leaves.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I do not see the logic in that: if you are disabled and can not walk we will allow you to go hiking for free in a national forest. Sound like a poor trade.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Petros wrote:I do not see the logic in that: if you are disabled and can not walk we will allow you to go hiking for free in a national forest. Sound like a poor trade.
You think too much. After all...this is America. You are NOT supposed to think! If everyone thought about stuff...where would we be? You don't even want to THINK about it! It's scary. :shock:
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

arbskynxnex
Top Notch Member

Post by arbskynxnex »

Petros wrote:I do not see the logic in that: if you are disabled and can not walk we will allow you to go hiking for free in a national forest. Sound like a poor trade.
I've got a permanently screwed up wrist and I don't walk on it, so it is a "good" trade for me :). All you have to have is a verified disability that affects a major function. By no means does it make up for being screwed up, but since I love being in the woods, it helps.

http://www.fs.fed.us/passespermits/access.shtml
Pandas: Eats, shoots and leaves.