New UK member

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
snorky
My tercel:: '85 4x4 in red

New UK member

Post by snorky »

Hello all

After my grandparents bought a red T4WD new back in '85 I've always had a soft spot for them. I mentioned this to my grandfather a couple of months back to which he replied he hardly drove his anymore & that it was mine to collect! Should be picking it up this Thursday.

1 owner, totally stock, 90k mile car which flew through its last MoT.

Are there any other UK members out there?

I did notice a bronze '83 with low, low miles for sale recently for £3500 in Ireland but you just don't see these cool little cars around any more (howmanyleft reckons only 39 on the UK roads...).

Really nice to see there's a decent forum for them too!

All the best

Nick
Last edited by snorky on Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
snorky

Re: New UK member

Post by snorky »

A few pics:

dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

that's beautiful! it looks mint!
snorky

Post by snorky »

dlb wrote:that's beautiful! it looks mint!
Fingers crossed! I've not seen it in a few years but it has been garaged & my Paps reckons it needs little bar some arch tidying... Let's hope she's not holed!

Some guys about to pick up my old Merc wagon so I now have the space at home :D

Watch this space...

All the best

Nick
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

welcome to the list!

Way to go! You guys get all the good stuff! I love those light weight bumpers, and the composite headlights. Nice steering wheel too, and I have never seen that seat pattern in any North American Tercel. With good body and interior there is nothing in that you can not fix that might go wrong. Great find, and you get to keep it in the family too!
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Nick - Welcome to the Club!
As to the car...just... W O W ! ! ! Thanks for the pix!
Amazing how tidy and integrated that Euro front end looks. Believe me, we in North America (OZ, too?) are all jealous!
And SO clean! Your '85s got the inclinometer, whereas N. Am. got it only in '83-'84.
As to the one in Eire - £3500 = USD 5700 - pretty good price for the seller.
I think over the years we've only had less than 5 UK members and none from Ireland. solarlord is the only (known) active Britmember.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

We do have the same bumpers, colours and interiors in Aus the only diference is the rear fog lamp.

You should be careful with that Tercel.. There are only 39 left in the UK!

http://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?q=tercel
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
snorky

Post by snorky »

Well I picked her up today & brought her the 180 miles home. All fine on the motorway journey & now tucked up in the garage.
Nearside front wing is the worst & is holed after seemingly being patched up by Grandpa. I'm guessing wings are going to be hens teeth over here so will be looking for a decent bodyshop to weld it good & tidy the remaining 3 which are scruffy but solid. Everything appears to be working including the inclinometer!
Will probably attack the paintwork with clay bar, polish & wax this weekend. She's actually pretty shiny & non-faded. I guess thanks to being garaged which has minimised oxidation.
I was surprised how sprightly the little 1.5 70hp motor is & after initial relearning the joys of non PAS really like the direct feel of the steering & snicky gearbox. I can see why you guys rave about them!
Weird to be experiencing a car I've known all it's life but never driven.
After vague thoughts of period Toyota alloys (or maybe more recent MX5 rims) I think I'll get the steelies blasted & powdercoated to keep the standard look. Seems a shame to take away the orginality of such a tidy car...
Wonder if factory roofracks were available this side of the pond as I reckon roof bars would really finish it off!
Watch this space for updates. I look forward to bringing her back to full glory...

All the best
Nick
snorky

Post by snorky »

ARCHINSTL wrote: As to the one in Eire - £3500 = USD 5700 - pretty good price for the seller.
Tom M.
In fairness to that car the 19k miles must help & it also sported the plate "LOG1X" which must be worth decent money to a computer company?! It also looked like new. Furthermore, despite being an intriguing oddball over here with just 39 kicking about it's a tough call to put a value on it!
Feels good rolling a car which most people are unlikely so see another one of!

All the best
Nick
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

in regards to roof racks, i think the euro tercels had different ones than we have here. i put some stock north american roof racks on mine, you can see them here when you scroll down:

https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php? ... oop#p49845

and if you go here you can see the euro roof racks:

https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php? ... lit=german
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Ahh to the Eire car - you had not mentioned the 19K miles. Over here that could have brought at least the record of USD 10430 (£6400), if not more than that (which was a recent record for a car with 32K miles).
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
snorky

Post by snorky »

Hmmm. Have to say the euro spec rack looks pretty grim street next to the US one. Although I do have a brochure somewhere with one fitted with ski racks which instantly makes any car look cool! Still
Wouldn't go for the euro one. Will have to have a nose on US eBay I guess.

Figuring that Eire car was actually pretty cheap c/w the 32k miler. Maybe a case of the rarity leading to less people after them...

All the best
Nick
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

IF you are serious about the North American-spec roof rack...I have one I removed from Goldie. It is intact and undamaged; it is still black, but dulled from exposure, but could probably be buffed up - or even resprayed. I can take some pix next week.
USD 10 plus, of course, postage. The latter would be "a bit" admittedly.
Let me know.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

tom, i'm freaking out right now. i LOVE the stock roof racks, why did you remove yours?

for shipping them, i noticed when i installed mine that it can be broken down into smaller pieces by unscrewing it. if it was clearly labeled it could be reassembled easily, and this would save a lot on shipping.

all that being said, if snorky doesn't take them i would love to buy them off you, tom. do you still have the little rubber 'feet' that go under each corner?
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Uhh - it's already in pieces; I did sell the contents of an entire bicycle store via eBay (including fixtures)...
I'm not at home, so cannot take a pix. As I recall, the rubber pads had perished; I don't see why ones could not be made from bicycle inner tubes - or even some pieces of black Tupperware-type refrigerator boxes.

As I have a p'up, I had no need for Goldie's rack (no snide remarks, here...).
And - I just did not like it.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain