My Old Tercel (Moved)

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
goofballz

Post by goofballz »

Here are some pics of my old tercel, it was wrecked off roading when it hit a tree. I donated it to the Rescue Squad I belong to, and we cut it up.

Sorry, I know it's not 4wd, but I felt obligated to post it.

...And yes, it WAS making run of ricers. I hate rice.

It took first place for "Best Chick Magnet" at my highschools car show. Right now, I'm debating to grab an 84 SR5 AWD Wagon for 500 dollars. It has 120,xxx miles on it, which is good. The one in this picture the odometer just rolled over after 99,999.
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

Haha! :lol: Awesome!! I love those first gen tercels. I'd love to put a 4agze (170hp swap) into a hatch back one some day; would make an awesome sleeper. They must be super light after having the interior removed.

Sorry to hear that yours got wrecked. If you like 4x4ing, I do highly recommend a tercel 4wd wagon. It's amazing where you can go with the things.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
goofballz

Post by goofballz »

Aye, ty.

For a while, I was considering the 4AGE BlackTop, from the newer JDM Corollas, basically because of the extra 30ish HP and lower miles. I decided not to when he started saying I had to reinforce the frame, and possibly get a custom wire harness.

Still out ran those ricey civics with the wings and maxwell house exhasut!

I just love those wings, its like, yeah lets suppose youre going to go fast enough for that to be needed, youre going to create so much downforce with your sub 1.4 litre engine that your FRONT WHEEL DRIVE civics front end will lift up.

Morons.

But thanks for the props! :)
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

That's a unique Tercel you had there. I also like those first generation, especially the SR5 hatchbacks with the nice tachometer. I want one of those now. I'll put it aside for my AWD conversions next to the AE82 Corolla. :lol: Then team it up with a nice Starlet.
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
goofballz

Post by goofballz »

@4wdrules

It didn't have a tach :( I think I have a pic somewhere of the guage cluster, 55mph is Bolded, and I had to shift based on the sound. But the clutch was very forgiving.

I wanted to mount one of those gigantic ricer tachs in it, but then those were 100 dollars and the car was 100 dollars so wtF!
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member

Post by tercel4wdrules »

Yeah, some of those tachs are +$100. I wonder how much those tachs that only go to 8k rpm are. I have found a 1st gen Tercel for around $100, but the SR5 hatchbacks demand a higher price. Well you can pretty much tell because of the sound around 15 mph anywhere from 3-3.5k rpms.
Adelard of Bath
Top Notch Member

Post by Adelard of Bath »

Hey what years are we talking about with that Tercel? Those 70s and older Toyotas drive me wild with lust! heheh

Well maybe not "wild" but they sure are cool...like that 72 Datsun that was a two-door, can't remember what that was now, but I saw a magazine article were a guy rebuilt the whole thing, gave it a vintage-era stock racing paint scheme, even kept the stock wheels, except the engine was all tuned ya know...that thing was sweet

No reason an old Toyota wouldn't be just as cool

Was on a road trip in Washington state one time and saw some sweet old Toyotas, I think a
"Corona" heheh that was awesome! in a walmart parking lot! I have pics...heh
goofballz

Post by goofballz »

That tercel is a 1980, the datsun you are reffering to might be the 240z?
Adelard of Bath
Top Notch Member

Post by Adelard of Bath »

no....just a normal 2-door sedan thingie....lemme search
a 240Z would be EXPECTED to be all done up in race-gear but this sedan looked so "rally" that it blew my mind
kinda like an old 2door bmw 318 or something

Like this one!
<a href='http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/035.html' target='_blank'>http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/035.html</a>
1972 Datsun 1200
I don't really like all those stickers but that car is sweet, as are most Toyotas from that era...gotta love em all
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member

Post by tercel4wdrules »

Here is an 82 SR5:

Here is another one, looks rust free:

I'm liking these cars more and more. The tach looks like a Starlet's except I think the Starlet redlines before 6k rpm.

I didn't want to hijack the thread and I also like those old Datsuns, especially the 1200s and the B210s and 210s.
MootsMan
Top Notch Member

Post by MootsMan »

I'm with you guys on these early '80's Toyota coupes. There's a couple at my local junkyard like that white one,
with the huge rear window. That thing has to have all kinds of good visibility out the back. I'm thinkin' as gasoline goes
higher and higher in price, these old cars in good shape with a good reliable engine that
the "average Joe" can work on will hold value pretty good. Plus you have something nobody else
has !! The worst thing about driving my Pathfinder is how often I see "myself" out on the road !
1984 Tercel 4wd Dlx. - 192K miles.
1985 Tercel 4wd SR5 - 185K miles (not running)
1986 Tercel 4wd Dlx - 210K miles (dd)

Only 3 to go for the whole set ! lol
Carguylen
Top Notch Member

Post by Carguylen »

I think the datsun you might ne thinking of is the 510. check this out:

<a href='http://dimequarterly.tierranet.com/even ... Show39.jpg' target='_blank'>http://dimequarterly.tierranet.com/even ... w39.jpg</a>

these were very popular in the 80's. I wanted one and could never afford it.
josha

Post by josha »

<a href='http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y158/joshana/1001.jpg' target='_blank'>My Webpage</a><a href='http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y158/j ... datsun.jpg' target='_blank'>My Webpage</a>

Did I hear Datsun? the 210 and b210 are also cool, the 510 is just the more popular one. here is my 79 210, RWD, solid axle, 65 HP 1.4L inline 4, dogleg 5 spd, spray paint job (verry apparent) notice also the not one, but 2 homade ricer sheetmetal spoilers, I was accually thinking of unbolting one of those flimzy store bought ones off some guys civic and putting it on there, spray painted matte black of course, but I wanted to go with those classic mad max style double lip spoilers (with a touch of toung and cheek of course).

the car had no HP, but it was light, and it did allright. you culd be facing one way parked on the street, with a little rain on the ground you could gun it in first and end up facing the other direction!! great fun in the snow. first 3 gears were close ratio, would squeel the tires in 2nd, you could also burn out in revirse becouse of a low revirse gear! dogleg gearbox pattren was great for off road / rally, making shifting from 2nd to 3rd and back easy. a great, light, tough, badass japanese minnimuscle car.