PacificNorthwest Snowpocalips of 2-23-2011

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

PacificNorthwest Snowpocalips of 2-23-2011

Post by Petros »

We had some unusually heavy snow fall for this late in the year, at out house (only about 500 ft above sea level) we had accumulations of 2 to 4 inches or more on Monday and Tuesday Feb 21-22, and than got hit hard on Wednesday, with more snow on the way today!

From Seattle south there was not much snow fall, but from where we live in Arlington, and north up through mt. Vernon and further, it was pretty heavy. Up to 36" fell in 24 hours just north of us. The Tercel4wd had done well so far, here are some pictures.

wed afternoon where I had to abandon the Tercel, about 200 vertical feet and 1/4 mile from home up some steep grades. I might have made it up but there was a guy walking up the hill, the snow was wet and slippery, and too deep. I had to avoid the pedestrian and got stuck in the shoulder. So we got unstuck and parked it here. We had about 50 to 60 lbs of groceries and supplies to haul up on foot from here. Good thing I brought my good backpack to carry it all. That is my neighbor's car parked in front of me, a 4x4 Suzuki Vitara with studded snow tires, he could not make it up the hill either.

We finished lugging the supplies up the hill just before dusk. We grabbed the ski gear and put a few tracks in the fresh snow down our driveway. As you can see it is snowing rather heavy, and it did so for most of the night. this is young family friend Quinn trying out skis for the first time. He has lots of time on a snow board, but this is his first time on skis. He did well after my expert tutelage (I have been skiing for 38 years). The power went out and we had to ski by LED flash light, which added to the fun. Normally multiple flood lights make for good night skiing on our property, but not this night.

So we had dinner by candle light, and watched a DVD on the batteries of a laptop computer. It was a cold dark night, the power finally came back on about 6 am. The morning, wed was cold and clear. Beautiful! Look at the snow build-up on our deck rail and the bird feeder! You can just see the thermometer on the deck rail showing just below freezing.

Shot of the yard, under each of those snow piles is an '86 Tercel4wd, a '88 All-Trac, and a Mazda MPV 4wd.

Winter trees always look better laced with snow and sunshine. these are in our yard just up hill from our front door.

Our springer spaniel had to make the rounds of the trees and bushes looking for birds. she loves to play in the snow, almost deeper than she is tall.

OUr house and driveway under its new snow, we started growing some icicles today. The picture is taken about half way down the driveway, you can see our ski tracks right down the center.

My '86 project Tercel4wd. Most of this snow fell in 24 hours!

lower part of our driveway, trees bent way down over the roadway, my ski tracks go around on the left side.

roadway in front of our house, not many passed this way this morning. looks like someone made it down, but no one going up today!

view out our front door. Young Quinn getting ready for another run down our driveway.

There he goes! This is about where we normally park our cars. Good thing they are out of the way for skiing!

After the morning skiing, I thought I should try and get to my office and get some work done today. So I skied down our road to where I left the Tercel, and this is how I found it.

After shoveling the snow off it started up, and I had to rock it back and fourth to cut a track back out to the center of the road. Made in without incident. Hopefully I will make it home without too much fuss tonight.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: PacificNorthwest Snowpocalips of 2-23-2011

Post by ARCHINSTL »

I will never, ever, complain about 4-5" here in StL...
Beautiful photos!
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

i was going to ask who the all-trac belonged to but i remember you saying you sold it to a neighbour. young quinn or his folks, perhaps?

detective david in the house.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

yes, the All-Trac was sold to my neighbor, who is also our tenet. they live in the "guest" house on our property. His wife drive the Vitara with the studded snow tires, and he got rid an old Cavalier and bought the All-trac to have something with AWD for him to drive.

Quinn is my 18 year old daughter's boy friend, he is a good kid that has some problems getting along at home so he spends a lot of time doing family activities with us, and even staying in our basement guest room quite often (with his parents permission of course-we know them well). My wife guards over their activities like a hawk (much to my daughter's annoyance).
Neu
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 No Mods

Post by Neu »

We got a solid amount of the white stuff down here too. It was pretty random. 3 or 4 inches on the valley floor, 7 or 8 inches up in the mountains a few miles away. Crazy.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

It has ranged from 2" in Seattle to 20" or more in Mt. Vernon, same elevation and on Puget Sound waterfront about 60 miles north of Seattle.

I waited to go home last night until there was a good solid freeze, about 24 degrees by 8 pm. I managed to make it all the way up to our driveway, I was surprised. One interesting event, right at one of the steepest parts, where some monster 4x4s were stuck and really churned up the surface in front of our property caused me to get stuck. The tacks were packed ice, and as long as I kept moving could keep climbing. When I hit the rough spot I came to a hault and started spinning all wheels. There I was stuck just 200 ft from my driveway, right in the middle of the road with no where to pull off or even turn around. So I held it still for a bit to allow the tires to freeze to the ice, put it in Extra Low and started a very slow creep over the rough ice. And amazingly I climbed right past the steepest and roughest ice in EL! Did better than those monster 4x4 that messed up our road.

I backed into our driveway, well mostly slid sideways. It was high centered with all four wheels spinning. At least it was mostly off the road, I thought I would dig it out in the morning. Gathered up my gear and hiked the last 250 ft up our deep snow covered driveway.

I backed and slid my car (mostly) off the road way for the night. Could not drive it forward or backwards, snow too deep and under layers solid frozen ice, so that is where it spent the night.

So I dug out this morning (Friday), and made an uneventful trip down to town and my office. At least now I have a parking area clear out at the bottom of the driveway for tonight. Forecast says more light snow for Saturday, than rain on Sunday. That will make for a slippery sloppy mess. Maybe I will leave my car at the bottom of the hill Saturday afternoon.
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Winter wonderland! It looks like your home is worth the trouble it takes to get to it. Maybe you and the neighbor(s) should go in on a tracked vehicle! You seem to find the limits of your T4 in the driveway on a regular basis. It must be bad.

We've had quite a bit in the midwest this year too. I've spent almost as much time in 4WD as FWD this winter. Our rivers are expected to flood like we haven't seen since 1965. Should be interesting.

So far I haven't been able to get out of anything I got in to. I keep trying.....
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

Normally the roads are pretty good, they can even handle the 45" of rain we get every year. Despite several short segments of 20 percent grade, they are mostly drivable in 2wd cars and trucks no problem, even in winter.

IT is when we get snow, and it stays below freezing for more than 48 hours, it all turns to solid ice. This only happens about once every 4 or 5 winters. Since they are all private roads, they do not get plowed unless one of our neighbors with a tractor goes and scrapes off the ice. Fortunately our freezing spells usually do not last very long, unless global warming turns this kind of winter into the norm. ;-)
Starbug
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel 4WD SR5 with 4AC engine swap, original inclinometer, and an original hood ornament :-)

Post by Starbug »

Yesterday I woke up to 10" of snow; it was awesome! Only three of us showed up for work, and my Tercel handled the snow just fine. All the roads are plowed clear as of today, but my street is still completely covered in ice and snow (they don't plow my neighborhood). My Tercel came to the rescue of a friend lastnight whose AWD car was unable to make it up his hill due to bald tires. I hope we get more snow..... I don't want rain on Sunday!

Petros, your photos are beautiful. I think everything looks best covered in bright sparkly snow!
My tercel:: 1984 tercel 4wd sr5

Post by reeder123 »

Your snow storm is finally making it's way through Salt Lake right now.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Petros, that seems like a mighty fine dump of snow for late in the season nice pics... Great to get a bluebird day after such a storm very rare. Here is a few vehicle images from my current residence in Japan after a storm where we ended getting 2meters of snow in 36hours. Still, everything seems to work well. No real storms or strong winds. We are on the latitude as the northern Mediteranian or Portland. and the altitude is fairly low with the village at 400meters above sea level. We just get consistent snow blowing over from Siberia.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
toughtercel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 83 4WD with some SR5 equip

Post by toughtercel »

It funny how weather turn out to be , Last Thursday early afternoon I was on my way to Arlington Pull n parts from Surrey ,B.C. (no snow) while driving toward Bellingham ( very heavy wind) pushing car sideway there were some camper on side of the road, still no snow ,past Bellingham just few inches of snow till Mt Vernon 12-16 of fresh snow , aarhh I thought at Arlington's Pull n parts will be same but lucky only 3-4 inches , when I got there then it started snowing so I have to work fast take parts apart, and closed earlier too.Lucky I got what I needed. For past week weather man kept saying will snow at Surrey B.C. but not one flake of snow fell.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

like petros, i've found my terc to be more capable in the snow than most of the big 4x4's that look super tough. my friends who have owned them all report the same thing. i wonder if it something to do with how the weight is distributed.

unfortunately, we got some of the iciest, most slippery snow in the last few days--right after i dropped ron off at the body shop to get repaired! i was driving my dad's '08 diesel jetta wagon which is incredibly fuel efficient but COMPLETELY worthless in the snow so instead i've been driving the westfalia, which is only nominally better than the jetta. picking up ron today, thank heaven. too bad all the snow is just about gone now!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

Wow Mattel, I have never seen a ski area in Japan before. Looks cold. Great shots.

I made a short video with my camera (15 sec long) of me climbing the last 1/4 mile up the road to my driveway last night. I took it at about 8pm by the head lights, and I was holding the camera in my hand while was trying to keep my Tercel on the road, so it is not real steady. This part ranges from about 16 to 20 percent grade, and is still covered with snow and ice, but a neighbor did scrap some of it off with his tractor. It is still frozen and icy, most neighbors are parking below and walking this part of the road. Lets see if this works, I have never posted a video before.

Cayuse
My tercel:: 1986 SR5

Post by Cayuse »

Mattel wrote:Petros, that seems like a mighty fine dump of snow for late in the season nice pics... Great to get a bluebird day after such a storm very rare. Here is a few vehicle images from my current residence in Japan after a storm where we ended getting 2meters of snow in 36hours. Still, everything seems to work well. No real storms or strong winds. We are on the latitude as the northern Mediteranian or Portland. and the altitude is fairly low with the village at 400meters above sea level. We just get consistent snow blowing over from Siberia.
Are you on Hokkaido? I spent a year on the northern tip of Honshu on the Shimokita Penninsula and we got some huge dumps of snow. Had to shovel out in front of your apartment or house windows so the snow din't pile up and collapse then in.