PacificNorthwest Snowpocalips of 2-23-2011

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Neu
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 No Mods

Re: PacificNorthwest Snowpocalips of 2-23-2011

Post by Neu »

One of the best snow maneuvers in these cars is popping it into FWD and putting the E-brake on, going into reverse and doing a pivoted turn.

Buddies of mine and I were up in the woods on a really narrow road that was covered in snow, ditch on each side. Nobody thought I'd be able to turn around. Boom, front end swings around and you're golden.

I love these cars.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I used a similar maneuver this morning. I actually got up our driveway last night, but it was wet and sloppy on top of hard frozen ice and snow. I could not go up any further, and I slide to the side into a snow bank. I left it there for the night but had to turn it around in the morning. So I put it in reverse and turned the wheel to push the rear end into the snow bank, and whipped the front around so it was now pointing down the driveway. It did not occur to me to take it out of 4wd, that may have sped the "windshield wiper" turn up a bit.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Starbug
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel 4WD SR5 with 4AC engine swap, original inclinometer, and an original hood ornament :-)

Post by Starbug »

Neu wrote:One of the best snow maneuvers in these cars is popping it into FWD and putting the E-brake on, going into reverse and doing a pivoted turn.

Buddies of mine and I were up in the woods on a really narrow road that was covered in snow, ditch on each side. Nobody thought I'd be able to turn around. Boom, front end swings around and you're golden.

I love these cars.
I love doing that. :mrgreen:
Neu
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Neu »

It's a crap load of fun and lets you turn around on narrow roads that nobody else can get turned around on. Major advantage. I've done it in mud too.
Starbug
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel 4WD SR5 with 4AC engine swap, original inclinometer, and an original hood ornament :-)

Post by Starbug »

Do we get points for how many pirouettes we can make in a single spin? Like ice skaters in the Olympics? LOL.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

Neu wrote:One of the best snow maneuvers in these cars is popping it into FWD and putting the E-brake on, going into reverse and doing a pivoted turn.
when i first read this i didn't quite understand it but once i got it i realized the absolute genius of it. never done it but will probably do it needlessly and excessively the next time it snows here.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

If you ever go look at a video of the winter ralleys they do in Sweden and other points north, you will see some amazing maneuvers in 2wd cars on snowy roads. Almost scary to watch, you realize they have learned how to control a car in a continuous controlled slide. Think of skiing or ice skating, which are controlled slides, now how about using the car in the same way!

I am not up that level of skill, but I do like to drive my car in "controlled slide" when the snow and ice covers the roads. It allows me to go places with the Tercel I could not other wise. During all the snow and ice (just now melting off BTW) I managed to get all the way in and out in to our house (including 1/4 mile at 20 percent grade) every day with the TErcel. With normal tires too, left the studded tires off. I had to use a few "fancy" end swaps to turn around more than once. All part of the fun of these little cars.
Starbug
Top Notch Member

Post by Starbug »

davidlucasbarnes wrote:
when i first read this i didn't quite understand it but once i got it i realized the absolute genius of it. never done it but will probably do it needlessly and excessively the next time it snows here.
That's the spirit! :mrgreen:
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

St. Patrick's day Snow!

Post by Petros »

And just when I thought the snow was over, the last snow had hardly melted off, we get some more! And than again the next evening.

Sunrise on St. Patrick's day, 3-17-2011

The Tercel is ready! At least the roads are not too bad.
Neu
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Neu »

davidlucasbarnes wrote: when i first read this i didn't quite understand it but once i got it i realized the absolute genius of it. never done it but will probably do it needlessly and excessively the next time it snows here.
I use it all the time, really. A lot of the roads up here are narrow logging roads so turning around, especially in 4wd, can be a pain.

And it's hilarious.