The many faces of the Redneck Rover

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Dirtmagnet
Advanced Member
My tercel:: Two 1983 4wd SR5's, One Lifted; 1986 Deluxe Auto, All with Webers

Post by Dirtmagnet »

These cars are so versatile. Just put on a new pair of shoes and it will fit in anywhere.

The Brawny look, ready for the trails. 205/70-14

The Bling/Bling look, ready for cruising. 215/45-17

The Sophisticated look, ...it's just ready. 185/60-14 from Mazda Miata

I put the Miata tires on to see how much the gas mileage would improve over the mud grips. I was expecting 30+. We had been averaging 22.5mpg(adjusted) with the bigger tires. I ran 1 tankful through with the Miata's, and it got 21.5mpg??? It is running better than it ever has, but obviously, something is not correct.

Time to tinker a little more.
Once your over the hill, you just pick up speed. <><
MootsMan
Top Notch Member

Post by MootsMan »

I just went to 185/70R14's on mine, on a set of '86 MR2 alloys, and the mileage seems to be ok. I get anywhere from 25 to 30mpg. It's a mix of highway and secondary roads, with some stop and go in the mix, too. I guess that's about right for these cars. You got a great lookin' car, Dirt !
1984 Tercel 4wd Dlx. - 192K miles.
1985 Tercel 4wd SR5 - 185K miles (not running)
1986 Tercel 4wd Dlx - 210K miles (dd)

Only 3 to go for the whole set ! lol
Adelard of Bath
Top Notch Member

Post by Adelard of Bath »

Remember, winter = cold weather = extra dense air to have to push the car through. Makes your drag go considerably higher than in the summer
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

The diameter change at cruise may be sufficient to cause the drag-down. In theory, stop-and-go mileage would increase as less oomph would be put into turning smaller tires, but higher RPM's are needed for cruise.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
Tercel Marseille
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1987

Post by Tercel Marseille »

How can you do to put huge tyres ?? Is your car upper than the others ? On mine (a tercel 4wd 1987), i don't think that's possible because the car is too near of the ground. :blink:
Retroloc1
Advanced Member

Post by Retroloc1 »

Regarde bien la photo avec les roues de Miata:
Tu vois les amortisseurs gonflables "maxair" (blanc).
Un peu plus de pression et la voiture se relève...
Comme elle est horizontale, il doit effectivement y avoir un "truc" de réhausse à l'avant. Sans doute une entretoise au sommet du Mc Pherson.
Tercel Marseille
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1987

Post by Tercel Marseille »

Bien vu :)
c'est délire de se retrouver sur ce forum. Je viens de lire les messages que tu as posté, tu taquines l'Anglais !!
On se retrouve sur forum-auto pour en parler avec les autres ? Moi je vais essayer de chercher des renseignements sur ces amortisseurs à air.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Dirtmagnet wrote: I put the Miata tires on to see how much the gas mileage would improve over the mud grips. I was expecting 30+. We had been averaging 22.5mpg(adjusted) with the bigger tires. I ran 1 tankful through with the Miata's, and it got 21.5mpg??? It is running better than it ever has, but obviously, something is not correct.

Time to tinker a little more.
Wondering if you are correcting for the diameter of the tires?

You can use this page....

<a href='http://350zx.com/tire-wheel.html' target='_blank'>http://350zx.com/tire-wheel.html</a>

You are going a lot farther with the big mudders on there. Also tire pressure makes a big diff. You probably know all this?
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Ummmm... Oui? lol
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
White Lightning

Post by White Lightning »

:o :o Very cool photos. If you went through all of those tire swaps just to post photos here and have us gawk in awe, well... mission accomplished.
1987 Tercel Wagon 2WD (Banzai Wagon), 1986 Tercel Wagon 4WD, 1994 Freightliner FL70 5-ton>Chilliwack, British Columbia
Toyota's_Abortion

Post by Toyota's_Abortion »

I have always been against making the tercel into something its not. The lifted tercel is just to badass to resist.
Sould have bought a Datsun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
terceldude
Highest Ranking Member

Post by terceldude »

<span style='color:purple'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>Typrus, you have a funny avatar. :lol: :lol: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :) :) Where did you get it from? I know you are a cool guy. How old are you?</span></span>
K-Business
xaserII

Post by xaserII »

i love this car. i look at it for hours and hours for inspiration and the chance mine could look like it.
i have looked at the struts in the front and i have come to the conclusion that they will have to come off to modify. the bolts that connect to the body will have to be removed and longer ones put in there places so they will go through the spacer. also a fourth bolt can be added easily for strength. i wonder if they are pressed in or if a couple good smacks with the hammer will free them. hmmmmm
as far as the spacer goes i think that dirtmagnets car has kinda an overkill on the materials used. a much lighter maybe aluminum can be used just as easy and will be just as strong.
the rear of the car is perfect. i cant imagine an easier way to lift the back of the car even with the front. just takes money.
all in all the redneck rover is a perfect example of what the 4wd tercel is all about.
fantastic car.
x
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

The MA700s work fine on the road...for serious offroad they don't. Check my writeup in the repair section.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

lllmoparlll

Post by lllmoparlll »

dude...excuse me but i want my F**KEN tercel to look like yours. What kinda of a lift did you do? and what size mud tires did you use ? i really want my tercel to look like yours.