1983 Toyota Tercel 4WD SR5 : Life in Pictures / Lost & Found: RESTORATION DOCUMENTED!

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
bryanthompson
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 4WD SR5 Wagon : "The Brochure Car"

Re: 1983 Toyota Tercel 4WD SR5 : Life in Pictures / Lost & F

Post by bryanthompson »

The Tercel always inspires me. Drew inspiration for the Abarth's blue plaid / light & airy palette from my family's '83 wagon...

This Abarth started life as a grey car with a black interior. I used all the ivory components from the donor Fiat, had the seats retrimmed, and the car disassembled and painted baby blue.

I'll use a similar process with the Tercel, restoring it to new OEM condition.
bryanthompson
Top Notch Member

Re: 1983 Toyota Tercel 4WD SR5 : Life in Pictures / Lost & Found

Post by bryanthompson »

Hey folks. The little blue car project going on over in this linked thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11672has rekindled my interest in finding photos from my childhood Tercel. I found this photo, taken about 1986, after the car had been a week or so "in surgery" at the autobody "hospital" (as my 12 year old self referred to it).
photo.JPG
What an incredible opening they made. I remember, when I pulled the car from the ravine in Idaho, and got it back to San Diego, I was delighted to pull back the carpet and see its "scar." It's a part of the car's history now.

It's day will come for a complete restoration. Some day...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bryanthompson
Top Notch Member

Re: 1983 Toyota Tercel 4WD SR5 : Life in Pictures / Lost & Found: RESTORATION DOCUMENTED!

Post by bryanthompson »

Merry Christmas, Tercel! You will be ultra stylish with your new condition (well, soon to be new, anyways) super rare, Japanese Market, Center Console with Folding Storage Armrest Cubby!

Update on restoration: The car is scheduled to arrive in Long Beach on January 4, and there we will begin its first full evaluation and tear down. Excited for the New Year!

BT
sswreckerjp-img600x450-145034171070klgg11908.jpg
sswreckerjp-img600x450-14503417091bhpaj11908.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Re: 1983 Toyota Tercel 4WD SR5 : Life in Pictures / Lost & Found: RESTORATION DOCUMENTED!

Post by rer233 »

Bryan-
Looks like an A/T console- where's the cutout for the 4WD lever? Love the story, keep the resto pics comin'.
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

rer233 wrote:Bryan-
Looks like an A/T console- where's the cutout for the 4WD lever? Love the story, keep the resto pics comin'.
In Japan they had push button 4WD on the manuals too!
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
bryanthompson
Top Notch Member

Post by bryanthompson »

rer233 wrote:Bryan-
Thank you! Yes, you're correct. I'll only use the rear portion with the arm rest, and I'll probably need to tune the color to match the lighter grey used for 83-84 interiors.

If anyone wants the front half, it will be up for grabs, no problem. :D
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

BT, i dare say your mom looks like a stunner in that last pic. did you have problems growing up with your teenage pals coming over to drool over her? that probably would have been me.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

dlb wrote:BT, i dare say your mom looks like a stunner in that last pic. did you have problems growing up with your teenage pals coming over to drool over her? that probably would have been me.
HA! Exactly what I told Bryan!
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
bryanthompson
Top Notch Member

Post by bryanthompson »

ARCHINSTL wrote:
dlb wrote:BT, i dare say your mom looks like a stunner in that last pic. did you have problems growing up with your teenage pals coming over to drool over her? that probably would have been me.
HA! Exactly what I told Bryan!
Tom M.

Haha thanks, you two! She's actually my step mom. Although, if I do say so myself, my birth mom was really a magnetic and beautiful talent, may she rest in peace...
FullSizeRender-1.jpg
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Certainly agreed, Bryan.
Judging from the article, she (and your Dad) must have been from "my era."
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
bryanthompson
Top Notch Member

Post by bryanthompson »

I was lucky to have had her while I did.

In more Tercel-related news, check these out:

I'm not sure how rare they are, but I'm pretty excited about them. They're vintage tinted rear side glass inserts that I have coming from Japan.

The Sprinter Carib logos will be a nice little nod to the car's domestic market brethren.
image.jpeg
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

i recently saw the same window inserts on the 4wd corolla forum. someone suggested they're to protect the side windows in the cargo area when carrying a bunch of stuff? whatever, they look rad.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Some great stuff their Bryan. Tinted window inserts don't hurt over summer!
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
bryanthompson
Top Notch Member

Post by bryanthompson »

Update: Tercel is scheduled (fingers crossed) to be picked up for shipping Thursday. This photo is from the accident it had in 1986. I was sad.
P1050709.JPG
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

ouch! hope you weren't inside it at the time!
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms