1983 Toyota Tercel 4WD SR5 : Life in Pictures / Lost & Found: RESTORATION DOCUMENTED!

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
bryanthompson
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 4WD SR5 Wagon : "The Brochure Car"

Re: 1983 Toyota Tercel 4WD SR5 : Life in Pictures / Lost & Found: RESTORATION DOCUMENTED!

Post by bryanthompson »

dlb wrote:wow, i hadn't noticed that. i shouldn't be surprised that they changed such a small detail for the JDM's and yet i am. i haven't noticed on any of the euro or aussie inclinometers but the north american ones definitely have the same graphic as the 4runner's (which also surprised when i first saw it).

I know, right?! The more I delve into research on these cars, the more interesting and quirky nuances I find. I plan to restore mine to factory specs, but I may add in a few JDM details here and there. For example, I'd love to find a set of ultra rare JDM optional seats, equipped with Toyota's "BodySonic" sound system...
Screen Shot 2015-11-06 at 11.34.26 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bryanthompson
Top Notch Member

Re: 1983 Toyota Tercel 4WD SR5 : Life in Pictures / Lost & Found: RESTORATION DOCUMENTED!

Post by bryanthompson »

Hey folks! I have some exciting news today. The little Tercel is finally on its way to California from its long slumber in a Prescott, Arizona storage facility.

First and foremost, I should express gratitude to our fellow forum friend Thilo, as this load simply could not have happened without him. Without going into too many details, he overcame quite a few challenges today, from unnecessary complications created by a deranged storage unit manager lady, to dealing with seized brakes and disintegrating tires. I am forever in your debt, Thilo. Thank you!

The car will arrive in Long Beach on Friday, and I'll have more updates then. But for now, please enjoy these "before" photos:

All my best,

BT
P1140317.JPG
P1140316.JPG
P1140315.JPG
P1140314.JPG
P1140313.JPG
P1140312.JPG
P1140311.JPG
P1140310.JPG
P1140309.JPG
P1140308.JPG
P1140307.JPG
P1140306.JPG
P1140304.JPG
P1140303.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by bryanthompson on Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bryanthompson
Top Notch Member

Post by bryanthompson »

P1140320.JPG
P1140319.JPG
P1140318.JPG
4wdEconoBox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by 4wdEconoBox »

She's gonna look nice Bryan! Quick question, do you have links for these Japanese market sites you go to in order to get since of these cool parts?! I've been using my Google-fu but I can only find Russian sites and I can't get them to load right haha...
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

bryan, what's that massive unimog-looking vehicle in a bunch of the pics? is that yours? looks awesome, would deserve its own thread in the off-topic section.
bryanthompson
Top Notch Member

Post by bryanthompson »

4wdEconoBox wrote:She's gonna look nice Bryan! Quick question, do you have links for these Japanese market sites you go to in order to get since of these cool parts?! I've been using my Google-fu but I can only find Russian sites and I can't get them to load right haha...
You bet! I use Yahoo auctions: http://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/
bryanthompson
Top Notch Member

Post by bryanthompson »

dlb wrote:bryan, what's that massive unimog-looking vehicle in a bunch of the pics? is that yours? looks awesome, would deserve its own thread in the off-topic section.
Right?! That's forum member Thilo's Pinzgauer, and it really saved the day. The little car wouldn't have made it onto the trailer without the brute force of that awesome machine.
bryanthompson
Top Notch Member

Post by bryanthompson »

Hey folks!

Today was Day One, Arrival. Boy, oh boy do we have a project ahead of ourselves. The first step was to empty the car of all the items my grandpa had stored inside for the past decade and a half. Now, we can begin the evaluation process and make a game plan.

Here is a first installment of the video documentation of the restoration. Please enjoy: Sorry, here's the correct link: https: ... Cre4dsImhY
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

That interior looks really good Bryan. It's always hard whether to restore with new parts or original. When restoring my 1958 Lambretta scooter I had to make a few decisions about what to keep and what to replace. in the end I have new paint and nikel plating in places but other times I have kept items such as the slightly tarnished badging that was worn from polishing that I liked. I imagine for instance your seats look in really good condition. do you replace or keep the original? Do you recover the carpet of the exact rear parcel shelf that you used as a kid with your family or put a replacement one back there? I know from my wife who is from Japan that the Japanese believe in the spirit of an item. that it has a memory and value beyond its intrinsic use.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
bryanthompson
Top Notch Member

Post by bryanthompson »

Mattel wrote: I know from my wife who is from Japan that the Japanese believe in the spirit of an item. that it has a memory and value beyond its intrinsic use.
You bring up such a great point, and I agree. I remember that, when my house flooded in San Diego, and we replaced the hardwood floors that were original to the 1928 build, the house never had the same feeling, or energy, as before. Whatever it is that happens to objects with long history definitely makes them exude something detectable.

Such is true with this little car. Sitting inside yesterday, in the same position I occupied through my childhood, perched between the two front seats with a direct sight line to the clinometer, was a uniquely satisfying experience. I barely fit back there now, whereas I used to stand and straddle the transmission tunnel, so there was a real sense of blending the present, and the past.

I'll save all that I can that's been a apart of this car, even if it's a bit more work.
image.jpeg
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Bryan - Thanks for the video - it is always good to hear the person who is involved with one of our little guys.
And Thanks again for the pix of that kid with the chagrined face next to his T4WD - as I wrote earlier, it is priceless!

In my case - and I suspect a lot of us here - we will live vicariously with your restoration. After all - who among us can restore the actual car of their youth?
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
bryanthompson
Top Notch Member

Post by bryanthompson »

This car is full of surprises. I had to share this photo with you guys, as I'm sure you'll appreciate how unique this is.

Check out those shifter boots. They're like new. The center console may be throw-away with those awful drill holes, but man, I was delighted to find that the boots are well preserved.

Carpet is nice too. If I don't use my kit from Australia, would that be something someone would be interested in buying? Let's see how this all goes.

image.jpeg
4wdEconoBox
Top Notch Member

Post by 4wdEconoBox »

Just out of curiosity, what were those drill holes for? Also out of curiosity, what would you price the carpet at? I would be interested in the old carpet also if you end up using that kit.
bryanthompson
Top Notch Member

Post by bryanthompson »

4wdEconoBox wrote:Just out of curiosity, what were those drill holes for? Also out of curiosity, what would you price the carpet at? I would be interested in the old carpet also if you end up using that kit.

I have NO idea why someone would drill those holes. :shock: They happened during the period that the car was not owned by my family. I'll definitely replace the console.

As for the carpet, let's talk numbers when I get to the point where I'm sure if I'll need it or not. I'll just pass the cost I paid to whomever takes it.
4wdEconoBox
Top Notch Member

Post by 4wdEconoBox »

Well dang, they screwed up a perfect console! haha

Alright, just let know whenever you get to that point, thanks man!