Rebirth after 300K

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Re: Rebirth after 300K

Post by SynthDesign »

davidlucasbarnes wrote:possibly could be a canada/us thing, i'm not sure. i think the new-ish, no sag springs would have something to do with it. did you happen to notice if your donor car was a 6-cylinder? that's what i'm leaning towards, as the bigger engine would likely require heavier springs.
Nope, mine were off a inline 4 from an 84. Toyota didn't put in a V-6 till 87 for the Camry, er.. October of 86..
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
2005 Toyota Sienna, work van
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

Well it's been an interesting week with the tecel. Just rolled a little over 2,200 on the new engine.

Thursday, last week I ran thru the back end of the General. Both shoe clips were rattling around the driver drum and had done a pretty good amount of damage which is what I was expecting. Two new pins and clips were all that was needed till I can replace the rear drums and shoes.

Saturday, I went out to the Olympic Peninsula for a short 200 mile road trip and manged to kill my brake master cylinder. It started off sounding like a squeaky toy and ended with complete loss of brakes. I managed to make it to the Kingston ferry by e-brake alone and home. I also managed to suck a good bit of brake fluid into the intake manifold and burn it through the engine. It left a nasty residue on the car behind me when I started my engine to get off the boat. Smelled horrible but hopefully didn't do any permanent damage.

Today I was forced to get the Tercel back on the road as the snow was here and a mid engine car does not fair well in icy conditions. I replaced the Tercel booster and master with the AW11 MR2 units as Petros has done. I must say it makes a noticeable difference. Ok, 200% noticeable difference. It took a bit of work to install, by no means just swap and done, but seems like another major Up-Grade worth the time.

So in celebration of the icy roads and 6 inches of snow, I decided to take the General out for a thorough rattle test. Probably wasn't the best idea, but it was so much fun. Right now the wheels and front of the car are packed with snow form our tandem gymkhana runs. I was able to keep up to my friends 83 corolla, which I thought was pretty impressive.

I'll post picks and video links when the camera thaws out.
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member

Post by SynthDesign »

With great power comes a long list of replacement parts.

I decided the Camry springs were just too tall and swapped out to a set of springs from an 88 Toyota All-trac Corolla. Petros estimated them at around 270lbs. The make the car handle noticeably better. The firmer feel is so much nicer when driving around town and throwing around turns. No need to have a stiffer swaybar but I am still curious about a strut tower brace. My roommate got a bone stock 86SR5 and I've been comparing all my upgrades to his which is in great condition at 150k.

For a comparison, my tercel is 1.1" taller up front and 1.75" taller in back. Probably 25% stiffer in handling and has is least 50% more powerful.

At 306k the factory control arm bushings have given up the ghost. I couldn't press out the factory bushings out of a spare set so I had to drop them off at Toyota. Hopefully see them after Xmas when my new trans mount and engine mounts arrive. I ordered a set of heavy duty AE86 mounts which should be a fair bit stiffer than the factory tercel mounts. Petros had a set on his 4age swap engine and they look good for us to use on the T4WD.

Did a brake check and the front pads and rotors are wearing fine..

Still need to do the rack but at this point almost everything on the front end has been replaced.
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member

Post by SynthDesign »

Pissed off and frustrated. A1 Cardone passenger side axle is fail. I now have clunks and pops constantly. I also managed to snap a key off in the rear hatch lock. Or let me rephrase that... only key.
(FYI , if you pull the passenger side lock out, there's a 5 digit code, 1 letter, 4 numbers, and any Toyota dealer can cut you a new key.)

I did a bit or research for NEW CV axles. I found 1 place in the USA that does em'.

DTA. Passenger side part # is TO-8702 Sku # is 879586006658

This is the first, non reman'd, NEW axle I've ever bought!
t4wd new axle.jpg
It looks good, feels great and even came with all the hardware including dust seals.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
deejay1272
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Navy Blue Tercel Wagon SR5 4x4 now with Weber 32/36!

Post by deejay1272 »

SynthDesign wrote:(FYI , if you pull the passenger side lock out, there's a 5 digit code, 1 letter, 4 numbers, and any Toyota dealer can cut you a new key.)
That's supremely useful information. I am down to one key for the Terjunken and it's only a matter of time before it snaps off in a lock and leaves me stranded (currently it looks every bit of 26 years old).
---------------------------------------------------------
Beefsteak when I'm hungry, whiskey when I'm dry
Greenbacks when I'm hard up, heaven when I die
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Synth -
What is your sourcing and pricing for new, USA-made, axles? Is this EMPI? If not, make an entry into the Parts Forum. Also make a separate entry for the lock code info for that Forum and I'll make it a sticky.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Neu
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 No Mods

Post by Neu »

t4wd award.jpg

Why is this picture not on facebook? Wow this is funny.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

You know if you just make a few spare keys ahead of time you would not have this issue. Home Depot, Lowes, etc. all make keys for about $1.00-2.00 each. It saves a lot of hassles later.

How much did you have to pay for the new axle?
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member

Post by SynthDesign »

@Petros... I lost the other key in the garage a year ago.. never got around to replacing.

@Chad.. Oh, it's on there . PSTOC on FB

@Arch, Nope not EMPI... The one I got from them before said re-manufacturer on the box that I got last year from PG. PartsGeek.com says it says new on the site. I'll post a link if it hold up..
I found this though.
http://www.drivetechamerica.com/Product-Axle.html
I got them from my machine shop. My price is between me and him but under $80.
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

synth, how long did your crappy reman CV last? i had a reman fail after about only 6 months so i took it back and got another but this one looks like it was made in soviet russia and i swear to god i heard a passenger side 'clunk' when i turned hard left yesterday. i was diligent to torque everything to factory specs but i'm going to check all of them just to be sure. if everything else checks out, this reman will have been bad from pretty much out of the box. i've put MAYBE 4 hours on it.
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member

Post by SynthDesign »

@DLB, I got roughly 312 miles before it sounded unsafe to drive. There's about 3/8" movement between the axle and the hub spindle.
IMG_0030.JPG
The new one from DTA has much tighter tolerances. The A1Cardone had a bit of rock at the hub splines. Might of been one of the clunks.
Just got everything back together with a new control arm bushing. I'll drive it tomorrow morning and see how it goes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member

Post by SynthDesign »

FIRST! time driving the General w/o horrible noises!
I still have a bit of clunk from the 4wd lever. I think that can be adjusted out.
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
deejay1272
Top Notch Member

Post by deejay1272 »

Nice work, Synth!

I came across a T4WD in the boneyard yesterday that had 298k on it and thought of your project here. But the transmission shifted like shit in this one so I'm curious to know what you did to get around this. Did you shell out the money to have the original transmission in the General rebuilt or is it still going strong on it's own?
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member

Post by SynthDesign »

@deejay1272,
I went the wrong way about my trans. I took three broken units to AAMCO in Bellevue WA. They assembled one working one out of the three for a extortionate amount of money. For $1300 I got a trans that leaks, grinds and has no warranty despite what I was sold and is labeled on the paperwork. It shifts good once warmed up but the humming noise from 3k to 7k and hard shifts will be the death of if for sure.

I decided to go the Petros method and start stock piling lower mile used ones now. Still looking for a good shop that knows how to rebuild them right.
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
deejay1272
Top Notch Member

Post by deejay1272 »

SynthDesign wrote:I decided to go the Petros method and start stock piling lower mile used ones now. Still looking for a good shop that knows how to rebuild them right.
I heard of a place in northern Cali that knows a thing or two about these transmissions. Another Portland, OR member that is relatively inactive on this forum gave me some info on some shop, but it was verbal. Let me know if you need something more detailed and I'll see what I can do. (Sucks that it's way down in California though...)