Pics of my 20V Terc

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
20vtercel
Top Notch Member

Post by 20vtercel »

Here are pics of the terc with the 3a and the 20v installed B) . The engine compartment was painted black and had a turbo and stuff intalled sice these pics. I'll see if i can find them and post them.

<a href='http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/tercel4ag ... /my_photos' target='_blank'>http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/tercel4ag ... _photos</a>
'84 Tercel HB, 202hp Turbocharged 20v, 4WD, Lowered, Custom exhaust, Mangles Rims with Avid V4 Rubber! Hola!!
ludehawk

Post by ludehawk »

Nice! I'm very interested in details on the swap. 3a > 20v is quite a task... fuel and wiring probably being the hardest...

20vtercel
Top Notch Member

Post by 20vtercel »

What would you like to know? it was actually quite easy. The fuel is a 200sx fuel pump wiring is self contained.

I don't understand why people are so worried about efi swaps. they are actually quite easy.

Actually, the biggest problem was fitting the exhaust on the other side. But even then, it wasn't that hard!!
'84 Tercel HB, 202hp Turbocharged 20v, 4WD, Lowered, Custom exhaust, Mangles Rims with Avid V4 Rubber! Hola!!
20vtercel
Top Notch Member

Post by 20vtercel »

hmm, double post
Advanced Member

Post by Guest »

well since i have NEVER done anything like this i am going slow not to screw up...hahahaha

shoot this is the first time i have ever took an engine out, or heads off or anything....but gotto start somewhere....
trpldblr

Post by trpldblr »

It seems simple hope I dont run into any trouble

Had to modify the intake so it could fit cause of hood clearence?
or cause that intake faces the chasis wall?

Does the stock tranny fit with out trouble and what flywheel did u use?

Kept stock motor mounts?

Keep it up! I hope to soon have a 20v turbo tercel soon too.
I'll greatly appreciate any help u can give, thanks.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Get the silver top.
The stock tranny will fit up but the stock gears and shafts (and housing) will die quickly. The gears and shafts MUST be replaced (20v did bronze, in case it blew so it wouldn't "exit" the aluminum housing) and I would say to wrap the tranny in reinforcing aluminum or steel. The flywheel off the 4A-GE won't sit in the bellhousing so I think the 3A-C's wheel has to be used. The bolts will mount up. I THINK that the stock motor mounts work, but don't quote me on that.

If you don't want a twisted body, I would HIGHLY suggest a roll-cage setup to absorb the torsion. If you search, we did a writeup on that at some point. Plus if you intend to racee, thats extra protection. I think a 6-point would be sufficient, but its in the writeup what is best and what is sufficient.

For a rear-end I've heard the RX-7 or whatever its called will work. I'm looking into the possibility of a Passat front end (sporty, no Porsche, but still very nice especially compared to the Terc)
I'm also examining the complete transfer of a 90's Passat braking system. They use the 4x100 bolt pattern so rotors would mate, but the caliper mounts might need modding. The piston on the Master needs to be checked for size compatibility and all that lovely stuff. Along with checking if the booster would work, at least from a diesel.
The Passats have vented front rotors and solid rear rotors, so the braking is improved. The Passat is similar in weight, so proportioning would be about the same. Plus its a bigger system (requires 14's) so has more overall stopping power. Even with mostly dead pads the Passat outstops the Terc in a massive way.
The big problem I may run into is either getting ABS to work, or in killing ABS from the system. I'm good at not locking up the Terc, but there are situations where ABS could be very handy. And if I transfer the TDI into the Terc at some point, then I could possibly use the entire wiring harness (with adaptors, or just steal the console and the likes from a Passat as well)

Heck. Maybe I should throw a TDI in one of my Terc's and turn it FWD with the VW 5-speed in there (for summertime fuel efficiency) and the 4A-GTE in the other with a killer 4wd tranny and diffs and all that for wintertime fun and track fun. We'll see how it all plays out.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Who said there were no pics of a 20valve Terc?
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew