Sandhills,rainbow,Kelty Noah's tarp.

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
kamiphloj
Top Notch Member

Sandhills,rainbow,Kelty Noah's tarp.

Post by kamiphloj »

Folks,
Kind of a pretty,but rainy morning cup of coffee.Don't know that a Winnebago would have made it better.Slept good.Thermarest on a british army cot!!

Like my old Volvo 544 with 4wd.I seldom regret neversieze or threadlocker
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: Sandhills,rainbow,Kelty Noah's tarp.

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Thanks!
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
dcn
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 4WD SR5 Wagon

Post by dcn »

Is the camo as good up close as it looks in the pics I've seen? It looks really well done.
Metallic Blue '87 4WD SR5
kamiphloj
Top Notch Member

Post by kamiphloj »

The car got slammed by a hit and run in my driveway.I patched it back together.
Prep was coarse steel wool,bon ami,and a hose.
After it dried,put it in the shed out of the sun and roller and brush painted it with Parkers Duck Boat Paint (Cabelas,Sportsmans warehouse,etc.)No,it doesn't look perfect up close.
I didn't want the soft edges of spraypaint.Trim rollers,etc worked pretty good.Play withn cardboard or scrap ply to find an idea you like.Think like an artist wit light versus dark colors creating illusion of depth.Watch "How to paint a landscape" shows.
A camo battle uniform must be non-directional,work if someone is standing or prone.The car stays on its wheels.It can be more mural like.A dry stroke with a broom might make dry grass
Also,I saw a pix of a helicopter gunship camo'd like a dragon.
Reptilian Horny Toad might be my next one.
Camo can have a little texture,so brush marks didn't bother me.
Do study what the terrain you want to blend with looks like.
One more thing.When you have a one of a kind vehicle,you must behave very well. Bob
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

kamiphloj wrote:Do study what the terrain you want to blend with looks like.
One more thing.When you have a one of a kind vehicle,you must behave very well. Bob
I talked with some guy who was camping up and down the Owens Valley in Calif .... he tried doing the camo thing and said that there was no way "they" couldn't find him. Just didn't work. But that's a pretty open area unless you get up in the trees.

Big problem with vehicles is the glass? Need a camo net. It's fun to mess with though. Real camo in the real world would involves driving a car that looks about like most other cars?
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

kamiphloj
Top Notch Member

Post by kamiphloj »

Ah,yes
True about the glass I have pondered burlap and neomidium magnets,but its not that important.
You do remind me of a time in my brothers divorce.There was something about him discovering her with another guy in a convenience store and having the guy down and whopping on him with a penzoil bottle that was handy.
So,we swung by the estranged 's apartment and he stayed in the car,but I invited her to join us for Thanksgiving.She declined,we left.In a light blue 1963 Falcon.All the sudden ,all these police cars were flying past us. We found the back parking lot of a little bar and had a beer a while.Falcon.Camo!!! Bob
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

The Falcon-cammie reminds me of the time after I wrecked my last Morris Minor, which was a BRG convertible. A car dealer neighbor had just taken in an extremely low-mileage '67 Rambler green two-door sedan. This was literally a little old man's car, traded by his son after the Dad had passed. It was so Spartan - three-on-the-tree, no radio and not even automatic interior lights. Nevertheless, it was 6 years old with only 27K miles for around $600 as I recall.
Anyway, I had driven it for almost three months before a couple of next-door neighbors said they had just realized that I had gotten a different car...talk about being an innocuous car!

Funny, though - that was the highest HP car I've ever owned; 120 Nash snortin' horses! And truthfully, one of the best ones, too. Easy to work on, big trunk, roomy interior, good mpg (for the day, anyway), excellent heater, etc. and etc...
Not an exciting car, but - kinda like the girl-next-door type you shudda married...
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Neu
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 No Mods

Post by Neu »

Before the tercel i owned a 97 honda accord special edition, so the tercel isn't the BEST car i've owned, but I like it a lot. I do like in the honda being able to go 120 without much trouble, but that just gets me into trouble.

the tercel rides rough, which gets annoying. The wind just BEATS me up on the road. Makes me swerve a lil bit when the crosswind is bad. but that's like that in almost any car.

Honda- 120ish HP
Tercel - 60ish

I love them both.
kamiphloj
Top Notch Member

Post by kamiphloj »

I looked back at some old posts of mine,this one had a pic of my Terc.
It had been inactive since 2011.I just put it back on the road.
One little trick I figured out,disconnected the fuel line at the fuel filter ,and put it into a larger hose draining into a can.Then I set up my little shop vac to blow.I pressurized the gas filler neck with the vac and pushed the old gas out.Then when I put in fresh,I pushed some of that through.I mixed about an oz of Husquvarna chainsaw oil and a bout 2 oz of Sea Foam into 1 gal of gas for initial startup.
Had to do a battery,fuel filter,fuel pump,and thermostat...and wiper blades.
Its running strong,idles good..I believe it will pass emissions test.

Rust has eaten up the front fenders and the doors...but I have a parts car with some I can take.

Then it will be time for a new camo job.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Fort Collins! I took some parts off of a silver tercel there. My Family is over in Montrose.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k