Another Movie Sighting...

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Another Movie Sighting...

Post by Petros »

that reminds me, somewhere deep in the archives of pictures the Northridge earth quake in So. California in the 1980s, there are photos of a mass of free way overpasses all tumbled down into a heap of wreckage, with cars scatter about it like toys. right in the middle is a completely unharmed cream colored Tercel4wd sitting on a short section of surviving bride deck that was crumbed and heavily damaged.

It is such an awesome picture of a T4wd surviving a massive freeway collapse from a major seismic event, the occupants must of rode it down and some how survived. I actually saw the picture in a political ad to get popular support for raising the gasoline tax in our state here in WA, supposedly to improve our road ways (they were lying, they wanted our gasoline tax to build amusement park rides they call transportation systems rather than really build new and better roads and bridges). I have searched and search the internet for that picture but have never found it. that picture was taken before the internet, and only if someone archived it to a public web site would I be able to find it.

the picture made me wonder if they ever saved the Tercel4wd that survived the earthquake, or it if was just crushed along with the rest of the wreckage of the concrete bridges, along with a lot of other cars that were crushed or damaged in the earth quake. it would have been quite an operation to remove the car from the middle if the bridge wreckage without harming it, and set it down in a place where it could be driven away.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
85tercel4wd
My tercel:: 1985 4wd SR5

Post by 85tercel4wd »

https://youtu.be/w5VJhZiZ9SE

Tercel 4wd in the new dominos commerical. I recorded it for everyone
terceldude
Highest Ranking Member

Post by terceldude »

Mattel wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:21 pm I think you can submit to IMCDB as it is user run.
I can't. They require pics and I am unable to submit any at this point. Can you watch the movie for me and submit it for me or have someone else on this forum do it for me?
K-Business
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Thanks for the offer. But you can use free software to make a screen shot, edit an image and submit.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
mattiasvinge
My tercel:: Tercel 86 (for fun), Tercel 86 (for every day use), Tercel 86 (girlfriend's)

Post by mattiasvinge »

85tercel4wd wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:50 pm https://youtu.be/w5VJhZiZ9SE

Tercel 4wd in the new dominos commerical. I recorded it for everyone
Not to hurt your feelings but are all your sterringwheels that ugly?
Tercel 86 (for fun), Tercel 86 (for every day use), Tercel 86 (girlfriend's), Corvette C3 Stingray 76(for making my life a hell):D
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

Yep.
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

I've always liked our steering wheels and I've seen/grabbed thousands. Eye of the beholder..
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

that is a 1985 SR-5 in the commercial. shown as a high school kids car.

I do not care for those steering wheels in the North American market Tercels at all, I think they are ugly and change it out with another model Toyota steering wheel on my daily drivers. I think they were anticipating airbags. The Euro steering wheels are much nicers, sometimes they are in the Canadian models as well. I love those Euro (and Japaneses) bumpers, slim, stream line and light looking. We get these idiotic "5 mph" bumpers, demanded by the insurance companies so our government obliged. Study after study shows it increased insurance costs because the larger heavier bumpers cost more to replace, and it was causing severe permanent injuries to pedestrians in minor impacts. Bad idea, cost both consumers and the insurance industry. and they look ugly too.
terceldude
Highest Ranking Member

Post by terceldude »

LowBuckCanuck wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:06 pm It's been previously mentioned, but the 1998 disaster film "Deep Impact" is a gold mine for tercel sightings. I think I would like to be behind the wheel of one as I run from the apocalypse. :lol:

Also made me wonder how well tercels float! :lol:

Hahaha :D :D :D :D :D :D
K-Business
dcn
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 4WD SR5 Wagon

Post by dcn »

Anyone watching American Horror Story 1984? There's a Tercel in it, briefly, before it gets T Boned by an awesome but inferior van. Most blood curdling thing I've seen in the show :(
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image3.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Metallic Blue '87 4WD SR5
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

those cads totaled a pristine 1983 T4wd SR5 just to make a movie! what a shame, Hollywood is such a waste. it was just a minor part in a movie, why could have they not used a Pinto or something, some other POS car that nobody wants?

I may have seen the movie (not sure, but it is not the kind of movie I would pay to see, but could have seen it later as a TV movie or in a hotel somewhere), but I do not recall that clip.

of course that may have been before I owned a T4wd, but I did have my eye on them since the first came out in 1983 model year.

Looks like aftermarket alloy wheels on it.
dcn
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 4WD SR5 Wagon

Post by dcn »

Yeah it’s a tv series. Not even a movie. When I saw it I was like “finally, this shows set in the 80s so there HAS ago be a Terc in it somewhere” and then saw that happen. I was hoping it was already a write off since it was on blocks sort of but I dunno.
Metallic Blue '87 4WD SR5
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

the blocks may have been a means to get the two cars to collide they way the director wanted to see it. often they use cables, or ramps if they want the car to flip or one land on top of the other.

typical Hollywood silliness, it seems that in most of the TV/movie car crashes they either flip, or burst into flames, or both. consider of the thousands of car accidents you have seen, how many burst into flames or flip. in 45 years of daily driving I have only eyewitnessed a car fire once, and a flip perhaps twice (only once on a straight level hwy).
Abletobecain
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 4WD DLX, 1986 4WD SR5, 1985 4WD SR5, 1983 4WD SR5

Post by Abletobecain »

Spotted one in "Hackers" from 1995. Horrible movie.

1977 BMW R100S 1WD ("Brunhilda"/Summer Fun)
1983 DLX Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Charlie"/Daily Driver)
1987 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Sprocket"/Off-road-Camping)
1985 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Lucky"/Project)
1983 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Cadaver"/Parts Car)
1985 Ford F250 6.9IDI ("Franklin"/Hauler)
1987 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Ravensburger"/in a million pieces)
2006 BMW 530XI Wagon ("Inga"/Roadtripper)
1969 Mercury Montego MX Convertible ("Big Ed"/My Dad's Old Car)
1983 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Al"/for sale soon)
terceldude
Highest Ranking Member

Post by terceldude »

Not a movie but if you know the show Nash Bridges with Don Johnson, from Miami Vice: The Original Series in it, then the episode "Cop Out" might be worth checking into. Sorry I cannot provide pics because I just saw it. It wasn't something I knew was already in it. But someone can watch this episode again and acquire pics for the group on my behalf. A T4WD that is silver is seen parallel parked along a San Francisco-style road at 42 or 43 minutes through the episode just before a cop stops the people driving past a corner (where the T4WD is).
K-Business